2.2 Treble Troubleshooting

Just got some beautiful 2.2's for a nice price...

installed them but they sound a little dull/dark, currently cranking the treble on my amp to get them more balanced sounding...wondering what could be the culprit (sounds similar on all sound sources: turntable, cassette, digital in)

running an Onkyo TX-2500, perhaps its just this matchup?  coloring them a little darker?

wondering, is the internal cutoff a hard cutoff?  i worried the tweeters were not functional, but using a synthesizer i took a sine wave all the way up past 12k, and could def hear it past 2200hz

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TWO POINT TWO DIMENSION said:

Just got some beautiful 2.2's for a nice price...

installed them but they sound a little dull/dark, currently cranking the treble on my amp to get them more balanced sounding...wondering what could be the culprit (sounds similar on all sound sources: turntable, cassette, digital in)

running an Onkyo TX-2500, perhaps its just this matchup?  coloring them a little darker?

wondering, is the internal cutoff a hard cutoff?  i worried the tweeters were not functional, but using a synthesizer i took a sine wave all the way up past 12k, and could def hear it past 2200hz

@TWO POINT TWO DIMENSION

1 minute ago, TWO POINT TWO DIMENSION said:

Yes!  compared with cassette deck, FM tuner, and direct in from the computer....sounds similar on all sources....not bad, just a bit dark and muffled...

Have you used your amp lately, any static in the controls, especially treble?

Would verify both dome tweeters are working, which think you have done. Would say the caps in crossovers need refreshing yet, not certain that will do it. Any thoughts?

18 minutes ago, TWO POINT TWO DIMENSION said:

Yeah amp has been used continuously, no problems...do the woofers cutoff hard at 2200?  or do they still try to represent higher frequencies?

might try this: https://critesspeakers.com/products/type-kg2-2-crossover-rebuild-kit-free-us-shipping

has anyone had good luck with it?

Thinking that the top woofer shares some higher duty frequency. BTW, ported speakers so not against the wall so they can breathe helps alot.:

https://www.hifi-review.com/153496-klipsch-kg2-2.html

You want to use high quality film and foil capacitors.  Metalized film capacitors can sound harsh/gritty with that tweeter. 

A darker or recessed/distant sound is a common description of caps that are old and have gone off-spec somehow (probably ESR). 

2 hours ago, billybob said:

Thinking that the top woofer shares some higher duty frequency. BTW, ported speakers so not against the wall so they can breathe helps alot.:

https://www.hifi-review.com/153496-klipsch-kg2-2.html

There is nothing in the crossover schematic that indicates that would be the case.

22 minutes ago, TWO POINT TWO DIMENSION said:

this is all super helpful!  old caps sounds the most likely...ebay score from non audiophile source....

will investigate and report back!

Position of speakers from wall to help the speaker , bass breathe big importance.

I own a pair of 2.2s and they sound just as Two Point Two Dimension described. Mine sound fine to me and I never suspected aging capacitors. I'll be interested

to hear TPTD's impressions after he changes the capacitors, but I think it's normal.

As a point of reference, I recently rebuilt a pair of Avid 100s; bookshelf speakers with an 8" woofer and 1.5" phenolic ring tweeter.

I replaced the tweeters with exact replacements because  one had a puncture.

I had a similar impression as with the kg 2.2s; while the crossover point is 2.5kHz, they don't seem to carry much information. Could be my hearing.

Could be the single capacitor in the high pass filter. They still sound fine to me.

Edit: Here's what I just did- I turned the bass control to full minimum, and turned the treble control to full maximum. Then I used the tube test to

confirm the tweeter was producing sound. Yup; they work. I'm guessing there really isn't much musical information in the upper registers. And I just thought of another idea; TPTD should replace the capacitor in JUST ONE speaker, play some music in mono, and see if there's a discernible difference between the two.

15 hours ago, Peter P. said:

I own a pair of 2.2s and they sound just as Two Point Two Dimension described. Mine sound fine to me and I never suspected aging capacitors. I'll be interested

to hear TPTD's impressions after he changes the capacitors, but I think it's normal.

As a point of reference, I recently rebuilt a pair of Avid 100s; bookshelf speakers with an 8" woofer and 1.5" phenolic ring tweeter.

I replaced the tweeters with exact replacements because  one had a puncture.

I had a similar impression as with the kg 2.2s; while the crossover point is 2.5kHz, they don't seem to carry much information. Could be my hearing.

Could be the single capacitor in the high pass filter. They still sound fine to me.

Edit: Here's what I just did- I turned the bass control to full minimum, and turned the treble control to full maximum. Then I used the tube test to

confirm the tweeter was producing sound. Yup; they work. I'm guessing there really isn't much musical information in the upper registers. And I just thought of another idea; TPTD should replace the capacitor in JUST ONE speaker, play some music in mono, and see if there's a discernible difference between the two.

There are two caps in the high pass filter and two caps in the low pass filter.

If any of them are out of spec it could potentially shift the crossover points and adversely affect the sound.

• 1 month later...

Received this last bit of advice too late!

i bought the Crites rebuild kit, and just installed the new caps (took me this long to get around to it)....only to finally discover that the real problem is the tweeters aren't working at all...

is there an obvious component failure that can cause this?  i didnt have time to go thru everything, and didnt see anything obvious...seems strange that this would have happened in both speakers, correct?  

all advice welcome!  i'll be glad that at least once i get them working i'll have these lovely new crossovers

On 2/11/2024 at 7:13 PM, TWO POINT TWO DIMENSION said:

is there an obvious component failure that can cause this?  i didnt have time to go thru everything, and didnt see anything obvious...seems strange that this would have happened in both speakers, correct?  

My technical knowledge isn't sufficient enough to explain why it could happen but it is possible to fry speaker drivers. I do not know how sensitive the tweeters are on the 2.2s but it is possible that a previous owner did something, like playing them too loud, that killed both tweeters. Diagnosing if you have bad tweeters can easily be checked with a multimeter once you have disconnected them from the crossover network.

Edited by Natertots