Klipsch La Scala purchase with Mid and Tweeter driver issues

Hello all, this is my first post.  I found a very nice looking pair of 1984 La Scalas for sale nearby.  I gaduated high school in 1984, and a buddy of mine back then (much wealthier than I) had a pair of La Scalas at the time.  I have wanted La Scalas ever since.  So, I was ready to make an offer today, but upon demo one speaker had a silent tweeter and the other had a silent squawker.  The crossover is the often maligned AL Network.   

Since the speakers are 40 years old.

I was planning to replace the crossovers [Moderator Edit]. 

But I was hoping to not replace them immediately, and certainly was hoping to not replace any of the drivers.  The squawkers are the 55M.  The tweeters are K77 but I forgot to take pictures of them.  Everything looks original.   I think my only option would be to replace the crossovers and all four speakers.  Or I could roll the dice and just replace the crossovers and see if that fixes the problem.  

Q1: What are the odds that each AL crossover network is to blame for one driver not working? 

Q2: If I do replace everything but the woofers, what is the best bang for the buck option for this vintage cabinet, i.e. matching drivers and crossover networks? 

Q3: I think a reasonable price offer should be based on needing all four speakers and two crossovers.  Any thoughts on if that is north or south of 1K?

Any other tips or advice appreciated.

Mike

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Mycuff said:

Hello all, this is my first post.  I found a very nice looking pair of 1984 La Scalas for sale nearby.  I gaduated high school in 1984, and a buddy of mine back then (much wealthier than I) had a pair of La Scalas at the time.  I have wanted La Scalas ever since.  So, I was ready to make an offer today, but upon demo one speaker had a silent tweeter and the other had a silent squawker.  The crossover is the often maligned AL Network.   

Since the speakers are 40 years old.

I was planning to replace the crossovers [Moderator Edit]. 

But I was hoping to not replace them immediately, and certainly was hoping to not replace any of the drivers.  The squawkers are the 55M.  The tweeters are K77 but I forgot to take pictures of them.  Everything looks original.   I think my only option would be to replace the crossovers and all four speakers.  Or I could roll the dice and just replace the crossovers and see if that fixes the problem.  

Q1: What are the odds that each AL crossover network is to blame for one driver not working? 

Q2: If I do replace everything but the woofers, what is the best bang for the buck option for this vintage cabinet, i.e. matching drivers and crossover networks? 

Q3: I think a reasonable price offer should be based on needing all four speakers and two crossovers.  Any thoughts on if that is north or south of 1K?

Any other tips or advice appreciated.

Mike

Welcome to the forum, I edited the part about unsupported non-authorized networks, left the rest as is.

Q1: One in a million (that it’s a complete failure of a part on the network leading to a different driver not working on each speaker).  It’s very, very common to have the problem with loose connections on the crossover networks and/or driver terminals.

You heard a sound in 1984 (same thing for me in ‘78), you are going to want what you heard in ‘84.

Bad connections are very common, so use that to your advantage on the offer. 

We can help you isolate the problems when you get them home. If the drivers need new diaphragms, where and how to replace. We will want photos of rear of drivers.

@Deang is an authorized rebuilder of XOs and can tell you the good bad and the ugly on every variation that was used in the LS. 

I think you have a bad tweeter diaphragm, and a bad squawker connection. But buy based on needing total replacements. Which as you point out is four drivers. 

It probably going to be that you don’t need to replace XO’s right away, you get all drivers working, and then you can figure out what to do on the XOs.

Q3 based on what Dean and others tell you on what would cost of diaphragms, XO build you can judge from there. 

looking forward to hearing how this progresses.

• Like 1

What is the general condition of them? In nice condition they are still demanding a premium. I see them regularly go for $2500 - $3000. 

Tweeter diaphragms are inexpensive. 

Dead squawker could certainly be a bad connection. Loosen and retighten all of the screws on the terminal strips. 

AL-3 would be the best network for that driver complement. Least expensive route would be to find some on eBay and recap them. I build new with OEM parts. Cost is $645.00 a pair. 

IMG_0002.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you Travis and Deang.   I'll probably make an offer based on buying two tweets and two mids. Didn't mean to break rules discussing aftermarket, but did not realize I had other options.   Deang, is replacing the tweeter diagphragm a challenge?  I'm guessing there may be a link here somewhere, for both the product and the repair process.  Do people typically replace both tweets at the same time?   Also, for the squawker, what are the options if it is bad?  Again, just repair/replace one? I always thought a matched set was better than two that are 40 years different in age.  Here is a pic of what I'm after.  Not really a fan of the grills, and dislike that they are fixed. but they are in better shape than the picture shows.

LS1.jpg

Edited by Mycuff
updated comment, added pic
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Mycuff said:

I'll probably make an offer based on buying two tweets and two mids. Didn't mean to break rules discussing aftermarket, but did not realize I had other options.   is replacing the tweeter diagphragm a challenge?  

the klipsch tweeters a re available with a   kit that uses a  pre-soldered diaphragm ,roughly 10 minutes , no need to solder anything except removing 4 screws.

-the mids dirver requires soldering  , but it's not hard to do for anyone handy with a soldering iron   .

-the Lascala grilles are in great shape , these are Dealer add-ons , most likely stapled on the added wood  trim ,   very nice grilles ,  expensive fabric + very rare copper badges  is certainly better than none    

Thanks for tip.  I see where the K77M diaphragm is sold in pairs.  That will be easy and I feel better about replacing both.  Much cheaper than "upgrading".  Maybe I do that and then fix the one squawker if needed.  I have done very basic desolder and solder of connections in the past.  Its pretty ugly work but if a simple job that does not require finesse I can probably handle it.

Crossover repairs are generally easy because of the point to point wiring design.  Schematics are available on the forum. 

K-77-M diaphragms are not normally sold in pairs.  Beware of eBay sellers that sell poor performing copies.  You MAY need one, buy one.  My 2nd La Scala pair cost me $500, years ago, because a loose wire in the crossover kept a driver from working.  They were Type AL and I replaced the crossover fairly soon.  The K-55-M squawker drivers are good ones and are unlikely to be bad.  You'll just have to get a multimeter and test.  However, apparently a K-55-V/PD-5VH diaphragm can be slightly modified and fit if necessary.  The K-55-V/PD-5VH is still in production. 

I also suggest Type AL-3 crossovers. 

I doubt they are available anymore, but new grilles to change the color for my second pair were quite inexpensive (~ $20 each).  They are held on with Velcro. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mycuff said:

Thanks for tip.  I see where the K77M diaphragm is sold in pairs.  That will be easy and I feel better about replacing both.  Much cheaper than "upgrading".  Maybe I do that and then fix the one squawker if needed.  I have done very basic desolder and solder of connections in the past.  Its pretty ugly work but if a simple job that does not require finesse I can probably handle it.

the aftermarket  K-77 diaphragms are pure trash ,  here is klipsch part # 127126  ,there are the quality diaphragms , dont touch the original K-77 diaphragm that's working properly  https://reconingspeakers.com/products-page/klipsch-k77f-127126-diaphragm/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OO1 said:

the aftermarket  K-77 diaphragms are pure trash ,  here is klipsch part # 127126  ,there are the quality diaphragms , dont touch the original K-77 diaphragm that's working properly  https://reconingspeakers.com/products-page/klipsch-k77f-127126-diaphragm/

More good info. Thanks again. Original part and cheaper than the aftermarket.  Win/Win.  

@Mycuff   Buy the speakers, You memory of the sound never goes away and no matter what issues you have to solve, the smile on your face in the future is worth it.

I had a similar story of desire for the La Scala's and bought a 1987 bar find that were really beat up and they had issues. My La Scala's are now my Last speakers.

OEM replacement parts are readily available and are simple plug and play as long as the cabinet is solid.

The only regret you will have is not moving forward

Good Luck and Enjoy The Future Music

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, JohnA said:

... I doubt they are available anymore, but new grilles to change the color for my second pair were quite inexpensive (~ $20 each).  They are held on with Velcro. 

John, Do you recall where you got the grills, just in case they are still available?  Never mind. I think you got them from Klipsch, and all the other posts on this topic tell me they are no longer being sold.  Besides, I need to actually get the speakers first...

Edited by Mycuff
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mycuff said:

Bottom dollar price is $1500.  He won't go lower.  Still a good price?  I'm assuming one new tweeter and crossing fingers on the squawker.

The other members may say yes. It is true that the LS has appreciated in price yet, the market is soft atm.

Just looking at the cabinets, from the 1 pic, they look to me like 1500 speakers with all in order. Guess you have pictures of the sides and crossover.

You can wait for seller to lower or go ahead. The others here will help you decide. Guess he has them listed for sale.

The sooner, the better...

Back to you... @Mycuff

definitely .

57 minutes ago, Mycuff said:

Bottom dollar price is $1500.  He won't go lower. 

1500$ is a steal , grab em before someone else does and I do mean run dont walk  , cause the speakers I see are worth 3000$ , regardless of a bad tweeter or mids diaphragm .

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

They fit nicely in the back of my Durango.  I probably won't get them out of the car until tomorrow.  Current plan, subject to any other advice on this forum, is to dsconnect, clean with deoxit, and reconnect all speaker connections to the XOs.  If tweeter and/or mid still dead, I'll swap each to the other speaker and try again.  Is a silent tweeter a sign of a bad diaphragm or should I still have a blown speaker sound to it?  Hoping the fact that both are silent but one on each speaker is due to the connections.  Fingers crossed.

ls.jpeg

Edited by Mycuff
  • Like 6