Klipsch La Scala purchase with Mid and Tweeter driver issues

She is a rescue. We also thought mostly Doberman. I paid for a DNA test, which I kinda doubt.  She is supposedly mostly pit and lab. She loves to fetch, and her paws seem more webbed than other dogs, so maybe the lab part is correct. But her coloring and nose is sure Dobie looking.  Regarding her intelligence, looks can be deceiving!  

The energy from the crossover to the tweeters is very low compared to the total being input. Also the frequency is above 5K Hz. So it somewhat depends on your meter what you will read out of the crossover. Did you put your 1 good tweeter on the speaker with the suspect bad crossover?

2 hours ago, babadono said:

The energy from the crossover to the tweeters is very low compared to the total being input. Also the frequency is above 5K Hz. So it somewhat depends on your meter what you will read out of the crossover. Did you put your 1 good tweeter on the speaker with the suspect bad crossover?

No I did not.  However, I did the ohm test on the good tweeter and got a positive resistance reading, so that confirms a good tweeter vs. a bad tweeter.  

Yes so move the tweeter or crossover to verify the suspect crossover is OK or not...just a suggestion while you await a new diaphragm for the blown tweeter. BTW EVERYONE has blown a K77 tweeter, if not they haven't lived :P

2 minutes ago, babadono said:

BTW...also I think those grill assemblies were installed at the factory. Are the tags still intact/legible?

You mean the labels on the back with the Type, Serial, Inspected and Tested?  Yup.  in good shape.  I absolutely believe the speakers came with grills.  Maybe they were later modified from staples to velcro.   Are you suggesting a S/N lookup could confirm that?

1 hour ago, Mycuff said:

Are you suggesting a S/N lookup could confirm that?

P1030653.JPG.7fad869203e5099bd0937438e3e2d8a0.JPG

Or just the complete model# Mine came with full front grills installed at the factory. (ignore the add on horns on top)

My tags are illegible but originally they said LSB-17 or some such denoting the full front grills.

1 hour ago, babadono said:

P1030653.JPG.7fad869203e5099bd0937438e3e2d8a0.JPG

Or just the complete model# Mine came with full front grills installed at the factory. (ignore the add on horns on top)

My tags are illegible but originally they said LSB-17 or some such denoting the full front grills.

Mine say LSBR 

Yes the 'speaker codes' thread here on the Forum says the 17 on mine just means black grill cloth not necessarily full front grill. So I wonder how they kept track. I mean which speakers got full grills, which got grills just over the mid/tweeter like yours and which got no grills.

Yours are LaScala Birch Raw

4 hours ago, babadono said:

Yes so move the tweeter or crossover to verify the suspect crossover is OK or not...just a suggestion while you await a new diaphragm for the blown tweeter. BTW EVERYONE has blown a K77 tweeter, if not they haven't lived :P

OK, so to close the loop I tested the good tweeter with the suspect XO and the tweeter worked fine.  Too bad my new diaphragm that I ordered is now on backorder.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, babadono said:

Mine came with full front grills installed at the factory.

I like being able to see the bass horn. It makes it visually appealing and interesting.

5 hours ago, babadono said:

BTW EVERYONE has blown a K77 tweeter, if not they haven't lived :P

I never blew any. I sold the pair I had before I had a chance.

• Moderators
On 1/9/2024 at 7:34 PM, Mycuff said:

Yup, seems like a bad tweeter.   Swapping the tweeter did nothing.  However, I also ran a few tests with a multimeter.  

1. I Set it to ohms/resistance. Disconnected the wires from the crossover to the tweeter and put meter leads on each wire.  I should read some resistance across the tweeter; less than say, 10 ohms. If the meter doesn't read anything, the voicecoil is open and the tweeter is bad.  I did not get a reading.  So tweeter is bad right?  Probably.

Poor pup he clearly thinks you bought him a dog house and he is thinking "if you think I can fit in that you really need to lay of the bourbon." 

Looks like you have factory grills. I had 90ish (they didn't have records for the S/N I had due to the merge of computer data it was their best date estimate).