Anyone raise their Cornwall IVs off the floor?

I know one thing unlike most Klipsch heritage speakers Cornwall's could care less about back walls or corners. In fact in some ways the further out of the corner or back wall the better they sound. Back I believe what may have been the first Klipsch Fest Trey Cannon delivered a set of original Cornwall's for us to use at the wild party we had that night at the less then glamorous hotel we all stayed at. I sponsored a semi large meeting room and we played until the wee hours until the beer and our energy was gone. By the end of the night, we were down to a few of us, at that point we had moved the speakers at least a dozen feet off the back wall and about a dozen feet apart we sat maybe 10 feet back from the speakers.... turned the light off so it was pitch dark, cranked it up the speakers sonically disappeared. Was it really shocking or were we just drunk and tired ;)  I think it was real! I really do not think a Lascala or other none ported speaker could accomplish this without seeming lean in the lower frequencies.  

I say put them up on some milk crates or something and give it a whirl! I'd think you'd need some ceiling height beyond the normal 8' for it to work... 

2 minutes ago, Oldewizard said:

Numerous folks have expressed large benefits from upgrading capacitors for example. Was trying to get some 

real world info about that.

My real-world experience with that is if you change the capacitor type by much which with brand new network you would have to make some serious changes to net yourself any difference, you'll also change the balance of the speaker in one direction or the other. Klipsch is pretty damn good at getting the best out of the components they use. Changing part types or "upgrading" blindly is a recipe for disaster. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, NOSValves said:

By the end of the night, we were down to a few of us, at that point we had moved the speakers at least a dozen feet off the back wall and about a dozen feet apart we sat maybe 10 feet back from the speakers.... turned the light off so it was pitch dark, cranked it up the speakers sonically disappeared. Was it really shocking or were we just drunk and tired ;)  I think it was real

I remember Trey shouting, “You should see how bad the group delay is on those things.”

”Good sir, we do not give two &!$@!”

• Like 1

PWK 's cardinal rule no 5  states  that a speaker should be free of cavities ,  there is 0 benefit by raising the CW IV  

- as far as upgrading the crossovers   , the end result is anyone's guess while the original design is optimal  ,  one precaution  here, modifying  original parts can void  the warranty 

Yeah, I'd personally hold off more years before messing with the crossovers.  I can't see Klipsch not doing a great job on those where they need to be altered.  Now, if they were older CW's, that would be another story.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CWOReilly said:

I’d maybe tilt them back with some wedges at the front. 

Yeah, I meant to mention that, too.  It helps with my CF-3's but those have way lower HF locations.  Definitely a free tinker tactic.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Oldewizard said:

Was wondering if there is any benefit to raising Cornwalls off the floor?

While we are here, anyone tried new/upgraded component crossovers?

Thanks

Seriously, and regardless of the spirit of experimentation that many share with you, what exactly are you dissatisfied with, given the way your CW4 sounds unchanged at the moment?

Im not looking for validation. However, as you may have noticed for better or for worse there are some very smart folks on the interwebs with

outstanding ideas. Asking questions isnt wrong. You took the time to comment on a thread giving no constructive input. /shrug

I prefer my Forte IV ever so slightly tilted up in the front. I think it raises the overall height of the soundstage and I really like a massive soundstage. Raising them off the ground is likely to ruin the bass tuning. But tilting them up helps. I just put a sock under the front of my Fortes. They are on carpet. As others have said, just move them around. Horn speakers can sound so different depending on where you put/aim them.

• Like 1