Forte IV's on the Way

jjptkd

I just received my pair of Forte IV's after having Forte II's for years. Before I purchased the IV's, I decided to go the small speaker route and purchased a pair of the new Mission 770's with a subwoofer. As the nice as the 770's sounded with exceptional detail but very polite, I was missing that live Klipsch sound that fills the room with ease. So I traded in the Mission's with a more than fair trade-in value for a pair of Forte IV's.

I know I still have to break them in but I have found that the IV's are not as fussy when it comes to speaker placement compared to the II's. My listening space is 18.5 x 10 x 7.5 and I have the IV's 12'' from the back wall and 9'' from the side wall with a slight toe-in (for now as I will still be play around with speaker placement). I ran the speakers through my Sansui Eight Deluxe which is a great match but I also want to test with my Sansui Six as I think those Sansui single digit series receivers are great with Klipsch speakers. I did switch them to a Yamaha S-1200 which kind of opened them up a bit and the bass was more than satisfying which worried me because I ran the Yamaha on other speakers and the bass kind of fell short. Also the IV's sound better on low volume on the Yamaha than my II's ever did which is why I would switch the II's to the Sansui to activate the loudness button.

So far, my impressions from my brief listening session is that the IV's are not a bright as the II's. They are slightly more detailed than the II's but I am sure they will reveal themselves after they have been broken in. I decided to switch on the subwoofer to see how it sounded but found out the bass is more than sufficient on the IV's leaving my subwoofer futile. However, I think the bass in the II's is a little heavier kind of leaning towards the boxier Cornwall bass sound but that could be the way II's were situated in my listening room. No complaints from me on the IV's bass. I know I need more time to test these babies out but my expectations have been exceeded because I was a little hesitant that my listening room would not accommodate the IV's but I think I can rest easy that they have found a home with a more than happy customer.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bruford said:

I just received my pair of Forte IV's after having Forte II's for years. I was missing that live Klipsch sound that fills the room with ease. I know I still have to break them in but I have found that the IV's are not as fussy when it comes to speaker placement compared to the II's. Also the IV's sound better on low volume on the Yamaha than my II's ever did 

Congrats on the new forte's! I'm still breaking these guys in and they seemed to have improved since new. It's kind of hard for me to gauge how much of what I'm hearing now is the speakers or my new amplifier the Carver 285. I can say one thing I've noticed since adding the new amp is these speakers / this set up is very full and detailed from almost no output, less than 60db at the listening position. Everything is there in the recordings and very well balanced. At some point will have to swap my 275 back in place to see how much of that is the amp and how much of it is the forte's.

4 hours ago, Bruford said:

So far, my impressions from my brief listening session is that the IV's are not a bright as the II's. They are slightly more detailed than the II's but I am sure they will reveal themselves after they have been broken in. I think the bass in the II's is a little heavier No complaints from me on the IV's bass. I know I need more time to test these babies out I think I can rest easy that they have found a home with a more than happy customer.

The forte II's used a different woofer with a thicker cone and larger Xmax resulting in a -3db point at 32hz vs the 38hz rating of the III's & IV's. I will say after a bit of break in the bass fills in quite nicely with the IV's, reminds me of the Chorus II bass output, maybe a little "tighter" sounding? at least in the room I have them in now.

• Like 1