Klipschorns with horn subwoofer

I am tempted to have a single horn styled subwoofer build to augment my Klipschorns.  In searching the internet I see several subs used in other configurations but none with Klipschorns.  I think it would be easy to integrate using a class D amp with DSP.  I would like to get down into the 20 Hz range.  Anyone who has tried? 

As an aside I think this would be an ideal combination with LaScalas where you can place a sub in it's best location instead of in front of the room.

If you are willing to wait... there will be something from Klipsch coming that MAY make you very happy.

I am not sure what you mean when you say 'best location NOT in the front of the room'...

3 hours ago, Audiophile53 said:

I am tempted to have a single horn styled subwoofer build to augment my Klipschorns.  In searching the internet I see several subs used in other configurations but none with Klipschorns.  I think it would be easy to integrate using a class D amp with DSP.  I would like to get down into the 20 Hz range.  Anyone who has tried? 

As an aside I think this would be an ideal combination with LaScalas where you can place a sub in it's best location instead of in front of the room.

I have 2 Bill Fitzmaurice designed THTLP horn-loaded subs that accompany my La Scalas. Each is powered by a 250W DSP plate amp. Everything is integrated with a MiniDSP Flex Eight DSP. I am pleased with the setup.

Here's a SPL/frequency chart of how my system performs (measured at my main listening position):

Final-afterDiracMSOandREWwithboostedbass.png.6739550a75f0eed28d87e45c7071a47c.png

Using the DSP, I boosted the frequencies <100 Hz. Even so, you can see that the system is strong all the way down to 20 Hz (I didn't measure any lower).

I started with a Klipsch sub from a retailer (Best Buy) but it was anemic. I then went to an SVS SB1000 Pro which was much better but still no match for the La Scalas. The THTLP is very good but — because of my room — I couldn’t get good results with just 1. I needed two for coverage.

I’ve heard good things about F-20 subwoofers but have no experience with them. As was mentioned above, Klipsch will be introducing subs this year to complement the Heritage line but specs, pricing, etc. have not yet been released.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Audiophile53 said:

I am tempted to have a single horn styled subwoofer build to augment my Klipschorns.   

dont buy anything till this summer , klipsch are coming out with 4 new  subs   , S-M-L-XL  for the Heritage series , ..... horn loaded Vented LF.....similar cabinet design as the 36k$ Jubilee .......Self-powered with DSP  , 

On 1/21/2024 at 4:43 AM, Audiophile53 said:

I think @wuzzzer is in your neck o' the woods, he's got some horn subs that'll rock your world.

On 1/21/2024 at 6:43 AM, Audiophile53 said:

I’m up in Alexandria.  I have a pair of Bill Fitzmaurice Tuba Home Theater subs that I’ve had for almost a year.  They are absolutely amazing for music and movies.  

I’m no expert in subwoofer design but I believe the upcoming subs that Klipsch is going to be releasing are similar in design to mine so they’ll go with any Heritage speaker perfectly.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

I’m no expert in subwoofer design but I believe the upcoming subs that Klipsch is going to be releasing are similar in design to mine so they’ll go with any Heritage speaker perfectly.

Aren't they going to be 'Internally' Ported?

How much does an 1802 HLS cost. It will go lower than 20hz and sounds fantastic. I have one and it is insanity. After hearing the new Jubilee I understand where they are going. Klipsch is as good now as they have ever been. The road ahead is bright. IMO.

The new subs are based on the HLS technology. These new subs will be game-changers because traditional subs just can't keep up with horns. I know I tried for years and sold every sub I ever heard. The only one I liked was Bruce Edgars Titan but it belonged to a friend.

I can't say that I fully understand how a chamber ported design is able to do what it does, but I DO trust Roy... and I do trust what the heritage division of Klipsch has been/is doing...

• Like 1