WTB Chorus II, KD16 passive radiator

Audio Flynn

After owning these for 20 years during a recent move one passive radiator is damaged. 8 inch long tear through the cone and fabric surround.

Called Klipsch parts. They no longer support the KD16. Young gentleman in parts recommended Simply Speakers and Speaker Works but it appears neither sell a replacement. The only sell the recone kit.

eBay has none for sale.

Thank you for your input on other options.

36 minutes ago, babadono said:

So......recone it:)

I run a 32 acre mini farm at 63 years old.

Lots of Bobcat, tractor and truck maintenance among other things to keep up on.

I have not reconed a woofer since 1983.

I would even by a damaged KD 16 to practice on. Fine motor skills are a bit compromised by arthritis.

🤣🤣🤣😉😎

3 minutes ago, Audio Flynn said:

I would even by a damaged KD 16 to practice on.

Don't you have a damaged one for practice? It's been a minute or 20 years since I repaired a cone. several people have posted about how they went about it. I hate to admit it, but I was in a similar situation and, to use as a get-by, I made a ~ 15" plywood plate and ported it 4" dia. Desperate times called for desperate actions. 😬  

3 minutes ago, Audio Flynn said:

Fine motor skills are a bit compromised by arthritis.

I understand. Hang tough. 

1 hour ago, Audio Flynn said:

eBay has none for sale.

Thank you for your input on other options.

Klipsch will sell you a 15” Forte iii / iv passive.  Buy a pair and see how they sound.  Can always tune them lower by adding weight (washers work) to the back 

10 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Don't you have a damaged one for practice? It's been a minute or 20 years since I repaired a cone. several people have posted about how they went about it. I hate to admit it, but I was in a similar situation and, to use as a get-by, I made a ~ 15" plywood plate and ported it 4" dia. Desperate times called for desperate actions. 😬  

I understand. Hang tough. 

I like that hack for the plywood. I can do that and send them out to be reconed.

I should have bought extra 15 years ago and put them in my basement storage.🤔

11 minutes ago, winglet said:

Klipsch will sell you a 15” Forte iii / iv passive.  Buy a pair and see how they sound.  Can always tune them lower by adding weight (washers work) to the back 

What does adding washers entail?

Taping them on the cone?

This is on the forum we are not allowed to talk about

Hey there: I am the guy who started this modification idea for Klipsch with passive radiators. This is how passive radiators are tuned you vary the weight up or down to set the desired resonant frequency up or down. This is exactly the same as changing the length of a reflex vent longer or shorter which shifts the tuning frequency. So if you have a set of Chorus which have baffle thickness length vents (3/4") you can lower the system tuning by installing 7" vent tubes.
With a pre existing factory passive you need to be mindful of the peak to peak travel capacity of the PRU (passive radiator unit). That is why I limit the weight to 2.5 ounces. What re tuning does is just that you are setting a new and in this case a lower system resonant point for the loudspeaker. Result is deeper (lower frequency) bass extension. This is not a magic knob you turn and magically the bass lowers there is not unlimited range available. Both the woofer and the existing passive must be considered as they set the limits of what you can and cannot do. In the case of the Quartet, Forte, Forte ll (larger passive) and Chorus ll I chose to limit the added weight to a 2.5 ounces. This shift in weight results in a marked improvement in bass extension with no noticeable evidence of the passive being over driven at any levels that I have played at.
Why don't you invest the short amount of time necessary and install some weights and listen for yourself. This mod can be done in less than an hours time and the cost is not a factor. Decide for yourself if you like the change or not the mod is just as easy to reverse should you change your mind or simply want to return the speaker back to a stock factory tuning. The question here is not whether or not the mod works because this is a simple mechanical adjustment the question is do you like your speaker balance with or without the change and you are the one who must determine that yourself. moray james.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

A more interesting topic as I continue to peel back the onion.

Roy Delgado comment about Forte III KD15 ST passive radiator working as a replacement for KD 16 seems pretty direct.

Then I can send out the KD 16 for repair.

1 hour ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

This is on the forum we are not allowed to talk about

Hey there: I am the guy who started this modification idea for Klipsch with passive radiators. This is how passive radiators are tuned you vary the weight up or down to set the desired resonant frequency up or down. This is exactly the same as changing the length of a reflex vent longer or shorter which shifts the tuning frequency. So if you have a set of Chorus which have baffle thickness length vents (3/4") you can lower the system tuning by installing 7" vent tubes.
With a pre existing factory passive you need to be mindful of the peak to peak travel capacity of the PRU (passive radiator unit). That is why I limit the weight to 2.5 ounces. What re tuning does is just that you are setting a new and in this case a lower system resonant point for the loudspeaker. Result is deeper (lower frequency) bass extension. This is not a magic knob you turn and magically the bass lowers there is not unlimited range available. Both the woofer and the existing passive must be considered as they set the limits of what you can and cannot do. In the case of the Quartet, Forte, Forte ll (larger passive) and Chorus ll I chose to limit the added weight to a 2.5 ounces. This shift in weight results in a marked improvement in bass extension with no noticeable evidence of the passive being over driven at any levels that I have played at.
Why don't you invest the short amount of time necessary and install some weights and listen for yourself. This mod can be done in less than an hours time and the cost is not a factor. Decide for yourself if you like the change or not the mod is just as easy to reverse should you change your mind or simply want to return the speaker back to a stock factory tuning. The question here is not whether or not the mod works because this is a simple mechanical adjustment the question is do you like your speaker balance with or without the change and you are the one who must determine that yourself. moray james.

I will say that I experimented quite a bit with my Chorus II. Tried the washer mod, changed out tweeters and x-overs with Crites. I ended up going back to all stock. The Chorus II is pretty much a perfect speaker in stock form. If I ever bought another pair, I would leave them alone. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nickyboy6100 said:

I will say that I experimented quite a bit with my Chorus II. Tried the washer mod, changed out tweeters and x-overs with Crites. I ended up going back to all stock. The Chorus II is pretty much a perfect speaker in stock form. If I ever bought another pair, I would leave them alone. 

Right now, I have 2 pairs that are totally stock, and have never felt a need to change anything about them. I am only using one pair and haven't listened to the others for a few years. That's why I am telling you to bring a truck when you come here to pick up your KP362, 301, 465, and whatever will fit. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Audio Flynn said:

Roy Delgado comment about Forte III KD15 ST passive radiator working as a replacement for KD 16 seems pretty direct.

Yeah, that's why I linked that one. I was headed out and didn't have time to read it all. 

4 hours ago, Audio Flynn said:

I like that hack for the plywood. I can do that and send them out to be reconed.

I did that trick on the second pair of Chorus II that I owned. The speakers came with one PR that was stripped of any of the paper cone and a water ring on top so bad that the Walnut veneer bubbled. In that condition, I traded them for some Polk SDA SRS. 

• Like 1

Right now, I have 2 pairs that are totally stock, and have never felt a need to change anything about them. I am only using one pair and haven't listened to the others for a few years. That's why I am telling you to bring a truck when you come here to pick up your KP362, 301, 465, and whatever will fit. 

Oh we do collect more than we can play.

I just counted six tuners as I started to develop my new addition recreation room... listening room tube and Chorus II system last month.

Threw away three MSB and Channel Islands DACs that were twenty years old.

• Like 1

I have a trailer too. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, nickyboy6100 said:

I have a trailer too. 🤪

In that case, I've not listened to the Khorns for a while, so they can go, and a pair of Mahogany KLF30 are not being used (the Mahogany makes them sound better), a pair of Heresy II and since you're bringing a trailer, you get two pair of KP362. 

How are you on amps? 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1