WTB Chorus II, KD16 passive radiator

Audio Flynn

4 hours ago, Audio Flynn said:

A more interesting topic as I continue to peel back the onion.

Roy Delgado comment about Forte III KD15 ST passive radiator working as a replacement for KD 16 seems pretty direct.

Then I can send out the KD 16 for repair.

If you read through that entire thread, it appears that Roy meant it can be used on the FORTE II, not the Chorus II. 

It may work on the Chorus II, but it's weighted less (per Roy) and will change the tuning...  For better or for worse is up to your ears.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Audio Flynn said:

Oh we do collect more than we can play.

Not guilty, I was framed, I'm the victim.

9 minutes ago, Audio Flynn said:

I just counted six tuners as I started to develop my new addition recreation room... listening room tube and Chorus II system last month.

You need one more to make it a whole set. 

I have a Pioneer TX9100 tuner in a Walnut case. Pay the shipping and it's yours. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, winglet said:

If you read through that entire thread, it appears that Roy meant it can be used on the FORTE II, not the Chorus II. 

It may work on the Chorus II, but it's weighted less (per Roy) and will change the tuning...  For better or for worse is up to your ears.

Odd that Klipsch left this driver unsupported. You can by parts for speakers from the 1970s and 1980s. I understand the business end but I come from the auto industry where they make serious profit margins on replacement parts. Just a bit dismayed the first time I called Klipsch parts in 45 years of ownership and the service person tried selling me a woofer because he had no idea what a passive radiator was.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, winglet said:

I bought a stock forte II passive some time ago my plan was to weigh the thing so I can compare it to one of my Chorus II passives to determine how close they are and which one weighs more. If the Chorus passive is the one that weighs more than a forte passive will work with some added weight. If it's the other way around not sure how you'd shave any weight off unless you dug the whole thing out. Now that my Choruses are out of circulation for a bit might pull one of the passives and get some numbers going. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, OO1 said:

the aftermarket recones will cost more money after  expenses vs new ones  , and they may not even sound like klipsch drones .

https://reconingspeakers.com/products-page/klipsch-forte-lll-passive-radiator-kd-15-st-1063995/

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-RSS390-PR-15-Reference-Series-Aluminum-Cone-Passive-Radiator-295-504

These are the only two options I am seeing that MAY be a non drop in replacement for the KD16.

2 hours ago, Audio Flynn said:

Here's the reply from Klipsch Product Support ...  Part number/description:  1000595 - KD-16 (M) (NO STOCK) ,

" we no longer have stock of that item due to age of the product (as it has been discontinued and/or is no longer in production)  "

I think the KD-15-ST is an option to consider  , previous forum members were impressed with this newer drone 's sound ,  it fits tight , and minor adjustments are needed to make it perfect   with a dremel tool  , it's a tad larger on the outer rim but not by much.   the pictures are from a previous member's Chorus II installation of the Forte III drone .

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

1 hour ago, OO1 said:

Here's the reply from Klipsch Product Support ...  Part number/description:  1000595 - KD-16 (M) (NO STOCK) ,

" we no longer have stock of that item due to age of the product (as it has been discontinued and/or is no longer in production)  "

I think the KD-15-ST is an option to consider  , previous forum members were impressed with this newer drone 's sound ,  it fits tight , and minor adjustments are needed to make it perfect   with a dremel tool  , it's a tad larger on the outer rim but not by much.   the pictures are from a previous member's Chorus II installation of the Forte III drone .

I appreciate your contribution to this investigation. In speaking with Klipsch Technical Support today the young man was exceptional at following policies, procedures and practices as to not recommending MODIFICATIONS outside of the original design and bill of materials.

I am not a modder of my Klipsch speakers. 

My 1978 Belles have the original internal speaker wire.🤣

KD-15-ST seems like an economical and expedient option to test. The left channel with the taped up passive radiator is irritatingly weak in bass weight and low frequency attack. Then I can send the KD-16 out for recone or try it myself.

I knew about the KD-16 situation for at least five years. If I was told correctly PWK last speaker design he was intimately involved in was Chorus II. Odd not to support drivers from a PWK legacy perspective.

On 1/22/2024 at 9:27 PM, OO1 said:

the aftermarket recones will cost more money after  expenses vs new ones  , and they may not even sound like klipsch drones .

If it is so critical, and one would worry about the supposedly non-matching repair (audibly), then have BOTH passive radiators reconed.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

If it is so critical, and one would worry about the supposedly non-matching repair (audibly), then have BOTH passive radiators reconed.

Well.....

I know guys that work on tube and SS amps, tuners and speaker networks. Not bass and PR drivers.

Last woofer I reconed was in 1983. 

The undefined diligence of a first time use of a craftsman can be problematic.

6 hours ago, Audio Flynn said:

Well.....

7 hours ago, Peter P. said:

I agree whichever route you take whether new kd-15 or re-cone you should do both to keep the sound the same. If you purchase new kd-15's you could always sit on your good kd-16 just in case a used one in good shape ever pops up but they are extremely rare to find it could be years. Of course the @Chief bonehead could always do us a solid and put the kd-16 back into production for the Chorus IV with the k603 horn.. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Chorus IV with the k603 horn.. 

the Chorus III was never manufactured , how can klipsch skip to the Chorus IV if a Chorus III was never released 

10 hours ago, Audio Flynn said:

Well.....

I know guys that work on tube and SS amps, tuners and speaker networks. Not bass and PR drivers.

Last woofer I reconed was in 1983. 

The undefined diligence of a first time use of a craftsman can be problematic.

You might also try Dave Miller at Speakerworks in Tulsa, OK.  He's been authorized Klipsch, JBL, Peavey, Celestion, EV, and on and on, for 30+ years.  He'll be about to give you more information about Klipsch than the 000 advice given.  He's also an authorized Heritage dealer.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2024 at 8:39 AM, avguytx said:

You might also try Dave Miller at Speakerworks in Tulsa, OK.  He's been authorized Klipsch, JBL, Peavey, Celestion, EV, and on and on, for 30+ years.  He'll be about to give you more information about Klipsch than the 000 advice given.  He's also an authorized Heritage dealer.

He was busy today.

I will give him another call tomorrow.

• Like 1