REL Subs anyone?

D Jenson

I used to use an HSU 15=inch sub in my main listening room and it pumped out a lot of deep bass. Good for music and video. I got a great deal on a REL S812 and it is wired directly to the speaker outputs of my integrated amp. The bass coming out of the S812 sub is much faster than the bass from the HSU and disappears with my Forte IVs. The REL S812 Made a fantastic sound improvement in my setup from top to bottom. It’s not just more fast sub bass but the mids are also much more blended. I have no space for two subs but my room is very well pressurized with the single S814 REL

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 83 LSIs said:

2 (or more) subs is not about more capability for music, it's about better. 

With Fortes it's like you have 3. 🙂

Not every room can accommodate multiple subs and large Heritage speakers. If I had more space I’d have La Scalas or Cornwalls and a line array of REL 812s

• Like 1

The REL website matched the 212/SX with Khorns, so I went with that.  The soundstage is bigger, sometimes wider than the speakers on good recordings.  My head snaps around to the location when that happens.  The system sound clarity is also better.  I listen at lower levels now because of the increased clarity.  I have always been happy with the bass from the Khorns but that is where the biggest and most positive change has taken place.  My neighbor, a drummer, has always liked the bass of the Khorns but he also loves the improvement in detail and quality.  We hear subtle details not heard in familiar recordings before adding the REL.  It is not a matter of more bass, the REL is rated to 18Hz.  Drums sound different.  You really notice the difference between a mallet or stick hit.  I feel the texture in the mallet hit that I never did before.  The stick hit is a little sharper than w/o the REL.  Overall, after and during a listening session l enter a state of complete satisfaction and calmness.  I have never quite experienced that before.  

I thought about 2 RELs, and that may happen.  But I have to say, I am wondering how much better the sound can get.  I will add the REL Bassline Blue cable for sure.  The 212/SX may still be breaking in as the sound has improved over the last two weeks.  At this point I do not "need" the second REL but I may want that last little bit of improvement.  

• Like 3

All that matters is that you enjoy it... that's the bottom line.

Much of what folks seem to think is better is merely a tad bit more 'full' dynamic range... I don't think adding a direct radiating distortion maker can really add more clarity or transient response.

1 hour ago, Schu said:

Much of what folks seem to think is better is merely a tad bit more 'full' dynamic range... I don't think adding a direct radiating distortion maker can really add more clarity or transient response.

I enjoy the sound of my system much more with the REL sub than my older HSU sub. The high level input on the REL integrates the sub seamlessly with my Fortes so I find the difference better to my ears  very enjoyable.

• Like 2

yeah... the old 'high level' recommendation.

seems like most stick to that like the gospel.

that newest 'setting up an array' video John put out is a little... embarrassing. But I understand they are trying to sell product.

29 minutes ago, Schu said:

yeah... the old 'high level' recommendation.

seems like most stick to that like the gospel.

that newest 'setting up an array' video John put out is a little... embarrassing. But I understand they are trying to sell product.

I can't speak for others but the difference between my HSU setup and my REL high level setup made my sub disappear - you dont hear it but every frequency sounds more clear and blends very well. So BS or not high level with my Forte IVs is a big improvement over my previous setup.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2024 at 12:38 PM, D Jenson said:

I will add the REL Bassline Blue cable for sure.

Take it from someone who has wasted more money than I care to know on overpriced cables over the years, I would highly suggest not spending $500+ on anything other than something that will actually improve your sound, such as a second subwoofer.

I can guarantee that if you listened to a song, left the room, came back and I told you that I switched your cables out for expensive “high-end” ones, your mind would hear a difference even though they were the exact same cables.

• Thanks 1

I started using the line level hookup suggested in a REL video for high sensitivity speakers.  I quickly found out that I was turning the REL off on some songs because everything was better with the Khorns alone.  After several weeks I switched to the high level connection and the difference was much better and consistent sound.  High level is definitely the way to go.  I am going to pick up the Baseline Blue cable and give it a shot.  If I don't notice any improvement after a break in period I will return it.  I am hoping for the improvement mentioned in the REL videos and other first hand user write ups.  The A/V journey is a long and enjoyable one.  I must say in 50 years of this hobby, the addition of the 212/SX is one of the very best additions that I have made.  Pondering that second one already....ponder, ponder, ponder.

• Like 1

All I know is, everyone noticed significant differences between the low and high level sound presentation in a number of songs listened to over a 2-3 week period.  We all liked the high level connection better, YMMV.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nice Subwoofer , the  proper hookup for the Rel 212/SX is to let the Klipschorn run full range , this according to the Rel instruction manual . This is a very good way to integrate a  subwoofer to the mighty Klipschorn , full range allows this powerhouse speaker to play to its full potential with  augmentation applied only at the very lowest frequencies 🤓

On 2/4/2024 at 10:38 PM, Schu said:

Do you think that you can hear direct radiating distortion at 18 to 40 hz ? . A well  designed , and properly sized DR will not degrade a system at the lowest frequencies 🤓