How would romex work as in wall speaker wire.

cleandan

I am going to install wire in the wall of my movie room, ok, ok, it's my living room...but I watch movies there too. Anyway, I have been searching around and have found in-wall grade speaker wire to be quite expensive. I want to use code rated wire just incase I ever sell this house. I am wondering how 12 gauge romex would work as speaker wire. It is rated for in wall use and will certianly carry the load. I am not sure how it will work for good sound though. Let me know what you think. Also, if you have a name brand of rated wire let me know, I am open to suggestions. Thanks and have a great weekend.

Not being a cable expert I don't think Romex will be able to handle the higher frequencies ranges associated with audio. you can pick up a roll of 500ft in-wall grade monster 16 guage speaker on ebay, check out this auction;

edited:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3007985716&category=14966

I look forward to hearing from other members.

Scott

12 guage Romex should be fine for in wall speakers. As a matter of fact some audiophiles insist that solid wire (as would be foundin Romex cable) is preferable to stranded - Not suprisingly others say solid wire is horrible.

Round and Round she Goes! Where she stops nobody knows (Well except for the guy running the booth 11.gif )

I'm not big on the high-end specialty cables craze. On the other hand Romex is just jive ol' solid copper wire with plenty of inpurities in it intended for non-critical higher current applications as you find in electric service in homes & other buildings. It's intended for building construction applications (I'm, an architect & quite frankly I would rather not spec Romex in my projects even for regular electric service, in some places/applications it doesn't even meet local building codes), & I certainly would not use it for audio.

But hey, try it (before it goes in the wall)...you like it, so be it! Let me know!

IMHO 12 gauge Romex would work just fine as a speaker cable. Solid and stranded wire with the same geometry pretty much work the same unless we are talking about Litz wire.

I would not use Romex for in wall wiring because of the possibility of somebody confusing it with your household electrical wiring someday. PartsExpress has Carol 12 gauge architectural speaker cable for about $.18 a foot. It has the appropriate ratings to meet code. It is what I have in my walls.

My brother-in-law, who's a nut, used 14 gauge Romex on his Cornwalls. Sounded good. He's tried thermocouple wire & a bunch of other types of electronics wiring for speaker cable with so-so results.

As long as you can work with the stiff Romex, it's not too malliable to work with.

Audios,

Pete10.gif

Marksdad,

Is there an upgrade to Romex for regular house wiring? Kind of an "electrophile" alternative, something to use on a dedicated audio cicuit (with the hospital-grade receptacles)? It might invotve braided wires in conduit? I'm sure if you practiced your trade in Marin County, CA you'd be getting requests (I worked there as a carpenter).

fini

While I disagree with some of the comments here about Romex I have to change my opinion about its suitabilty for in-wall use with speakers based on the comment above that it could be easily confused as an electrical circuit and the speakers would be seriously at risk - not to mention the potential shock or fire risk should that happen.

• 8 years later...

I Iooked for a reason to use ROMEX. The solid vs stranded argument was subjective. The cooper % content was inconclusive. The difficulty of using solid verses easy of using stranded was conceptually plausible. Then suddenly, a glimmer of hope for using ROMEX. ROMEX 4 conductor was suggested for very long runs (a couple hundred feet). But this would be for round ROMEX. I have seen flat ROMEX. So basically, you could use smaller gauge round ROMEX since when you pair them you double the effective gauge area, and the pairing approach reduces noise over long runs. The article is http://www.hps4000.com/pages/spksamps/speaker_wire.pdf

post-22082-13819638245404_thumb.png