reverse loudness app, does it exist? back back back 1990 before digitalyse media...

Posted (edited)

Hi

With now so much loudness recording, on the market,  that sound like a cheap (bad) ad on tv

Is there a function in macmini or windows or a program (app) to:

"remove dynamic range compression"

The last "rolling stone el mocambo" is the worst, that i have ear so far, it make me want to discard all my HiFi!

"because there is no point buying hi-fi if all recording goes down the drain with huge dynamic range compression"

So my guess if you could add compression, maybe we could remove it and put it back as it should sound like real music?

Best regards

20240424_005406370_iOS.png

Edited by Zink_e
typo
  • Like 1

That album was recorded for vinyl in 1977. A live album... I am pretty sure it was pretty much squished on the original multitrack, so they didn't lose anything.

If that still exists as a multi track, that could get some expansion done per individual track/instrument, and get the dynamics of a live performance. Probably not gonna happen though.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Marvel said:

That album was recorded for vinyl in 1977. A live album... I am pretty sure it was pretty much squished on the original multitrack, so they didn't lose anything.

If that still exists as a multi track, that could get some expansion done per individual track/instrument, and get the dynamics of a live performance. Probably not gonna happen though.

This is the rolling stones,  and they planned the show a for a long time and at that time they we're not beginner! an got lot's of engineer! Btw, that was the CD, and for a strange reason, sound better on tidal, not the same reading and lp's got not the similar curve...

there are some bootleg of the show, but they seems to have disapear, good legal teams the stones!

So with digital, if it goes one way, it goes the others.

Sadly, by searching the web, what is teach on internet, is loudness recording is the best and dynamic is the enemy! lot's and lot's of software to put loundness in music, but the reverse sadly nothing!

i use to record band, with mini HD, live and you catch everything without saturated the thing, because the first technology, always rely on setup, of the old one, loudness, is discovery from the late 1990, and it help the apple tree grow and headphone downsize for recharging battery purpuss!

best listening all, no more new CD for me

BTW

I have spending time listening LedZeppelin from all era remastering:

first transfert on CD: lazy transfert: just the lp's to CD

second mastering: some compressing, hiss is the enemy

third mastering: we found something last time, we will push it a little bit, extra money more pic and no background noise from old studio

fourth mastering: hey, i look at it, the still space for compression, let make it look like and scotch tape recording, fill the damm thing! now no more silence all is fill! kid are deaft, so they don't notice...

Fifth mastering, Oups, lp's  revival, compression not working, let decrease it and make lp's sound better than CD, we make more money with vinyl anyway!

Streaming market: let them manage there hireshish the way they want with there software! they will need compression to decrease the amount of storage they need and compression help multi listening streaming, less data to manage, so vinyl rule! 99$ for an lp's, well it goes with an 11$ bigmag burger, will put the problem on the pandemic, nobody will notice...

i have try to put some humor in it, because i am so sad of what happen with music recording.

Posted (edited)

Also, in case your are wondering, if you recording got dynamic or loudness all way to the top!

https://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

even in Hi-res, like old days, computer teachers said: Garbage in - Garbage out, even if the bag is gold...!

best regards

ps

https://www.audioholics.com/how-to-shop/best-free-audio-software

Edited by Zink_e

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2024 at 9:20 AM, Zink_e said:

it's seems loudness recording is a must now

Actually, NO. You are talking about a multitude of engineering decisions.

So, it depends on a lot of things. The producer generally is at fault. The engineering part can be done with great dynamic range and unless you are mixing from tape, you shouldn't have any hiss at all, and it's not been a problem for years.

I listen to a lot of music with top notch production and wide dynamic range. If you want to reverse the compression on a track, the link babadono shared above, point to a methodology the do some of that successfully,  but not perfectly. All you have to work with is the final mix. Individual tracks within the mix might, shall we say, fight against each other and end up worse if you expand any part of the final mix.

You will read contradictory information on the process and what folks think has been done or can be done.  Just listen and enjoy the music or get a different hobby.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Marvel said:

Just listen and enjoy the music or get a different hobby.

lol! well, so i listen and discard, bad producer decision!

and listen, before purchasing! So with bad producer, even in Hi-Res, i'm gonna have High Crap! lesson learn, thanks Wisdom man!

don't fight the river, just take the boat, avoid the rock, let the river transport you out of this dump, and flow where water is clear and have a nice fishing Day!

On 5/13/2024 at 8:39 PM, Marvel said:

Someone has the 2" Master Someplace

1 hour ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Someone has the 2" Master Someplace

Perhaps, if the oxide hasn't fallen off. A lot of tapes can still be played back. transfer to a DAW and you could do just about anything you want.

From Wikipedia:

"In 1998, Love You Live was remastered and reissued by Virgin Records, and in 2009, was re-released with an updated remastering by Universal Records. In 2011 it was released on a single SHM-SACD by Universal Music Enterprises Japan. "

Only four songs were from the club in Toronto, the rest were from other live show. All were heavily overdubbed. It's the Stones. They were high most of the time. Play them through a set of JBLs and they will sound great. A pair of Century speaker perhaps. I only had a couple Stones albums, and they've been gone a lone time.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Marvel said:

Perhaps, if the oxide hasn't fallen off. A lot of tapes can still be played back. transfer to a DAW and you could do just about anything you want.

From Wikipedia:

"In 1998, Love You Live was remastered and reissued by Virgin Records, and in 2009, was re-released with an updated remastering by Universal Records.

I worked in a number of Studios Ampex Grand Master is the worst

You will get one playback after baking it at 350* for several hours.thats if you can keep the Heads clean enough to finish the Reel. 🙄

Got sum right downstairs. 🙄

On 6/1/2024 at 11:06 AM, Marvel said:

Actually, NO. You are talking about a multitude of eng  Just listen and enjoy the music

I am old enough to have worked in a number of Studio's back in the Vinyl days There are a number of tradeoffs with Vinyl that are interdependent

Bass Frequency capability,  Loudness etc

This is a flawed Medium

After hearing my first CD

I dumpsterized my vinyl. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1