Help with possibly selling a preamp...

Erik Mandaville

I have no experience selling audio equipment...especially using the convenience of the internet.

I may try to sell my AES AE-1 preamp in order to help pay for the needed PC equipment as part of Dave Mallett's MBS Audio Server. I have no other money or means of doing this, but I have 4 other preamps I built myself that I can fall back on. So I may be selling this in the near future. I would consider one of the others, but think I stand a better chance with the AE-1 because of its good looks. Those I built myself are on pretty utility-looking Bud boxes.

For those of you with some experience in this, what would be the best place to sell it (if I can bring myself to do it!) There was recently some Cary stuff for sale on Audiogone (is that the correct name?), or of course I could look into ebay. I have absolutely zero experience with either of these.

I would very much appreciate any advice or suggestions on this...thanks!

Erik

Thanks Dale:

ummmmmmmmmm.....I don't know how to attach a picture (I wish I could have written this in a very small font. I'm being honest about this -- I really don't know how to do it. We have a digital camera in my art dept. at school, and I was going to ask one of my students to maybe help me with taking a good picture of it. I have lots of experience with my trusty old Nikon, but not digital stuff.

If someone would be interestd here, that would be fine, too. I wasn't sure if that was an acceptable thing to do. I'm only going to ask what I paid for it, plus a little more for parts I had to buy to get it running again.

Anyway, thanks for your help, Dale. Nice of you to contribute, here. Man, it's a nice-sounding preamp, though It's kinda hard for me to do!!!

Erik

Pictures are important on both ebay and audiogon. Take seveal good ones and post 2 or 3 on either site. ebay is really easy. It will be even easier if you will read a few ads first to see how it's done. Be sure to detail what the pre-amp really is. I assume it is 2-channel only. If it is, say so and list things like the number of inputs and the presence of a phono section. A true nerd may well know what an AES-1 is but many won't, including me. If it is a tube amp, say so and list the tubes used. With good pics, in focus, you will get good money for it on ebay.

Erik,

I would be more than happy to help you sell it also. If you send me digital photos I can host them for you or if they are prints I can scan them and host them. You could also send me the AE-1 and I can take the photos.

Give me a call or email me privately and we can discuss your options, unless someone here is interested in purchasing it.

erik_ae1.jpg

Here is an early shot of Erik's AE-1 preamp. It has been modified

and updated by Erik. I believe it has two mono volume pots to provide

balance.

The original AE-1 is an excellent preamp and Cary took it off the market

of the AES kit division to put out the similar Cary SLP-98. The

preamp uses the 6SN7 tube, an octal that is very linear with some

excellent NOS options that will bring this pre to the next level.

Personally, I think he is foolish to sell it but people are always

selling things. Ask ole Deano!

His preamp has been modified enough to where he needs to clarify the

changes. I have recommended this preamp in the past and still think

it's an excellent choice, especially for the money. I would consider

buying it myself if I didnt have a 6SL7/6SN7 preamp already.

kh

Don't feel so bad, Erik...Look at my system now (see my Signature). Because of the state of the economy and my bad luck throughout last year (which eventually resulted in being laid off the other day), all I own now is my Cornwalls, amp, and one source...that's it (go to Odds and Mods to see my completed system before I resorted to letting all my treasured equipment go).

I (and some others here as well) know how hard it is to sell off a piece of audio gear you've wanted for so long and have saved up for. But if you're not struggling to make ends meet due to lack of business, then why torture yourself by selling your prized AE-1? And if you're selling it only to purchase needed PC equipment, then go to family members or to a financial institution and ask for a loan! I didn't have that option, plus I filed for bankruptcy a year ago (all due to the recession, and to 9/11...no more work equals no more job, which I had for over 16 years).

Sorry if I got on a tangent here...All I'm saying is don't sell your AE-1 unless you absolutely, positively have no others means of obtaining cash. You will regret it...I most certainly do!