made a sales man feel stupid

prodj101

ok, so I decided to make a little outing down town today and check out the hifi store and brought along the pomps and pipes cd. the guys today were boasting about a velodyne (SPL1200) and a B&W CM-10 or something like that. anyway, I have them throw in P and P, and go to track 4, and it actually put a dent in the B&W's aluminum cone and bottomed out the velodyne. and when I say dent, I mean literally a dent, like a shallow, but visible mark about an inch long. and all before this happend, the sales clerk had been claiming these subs would probably sound alot better than my RSW-15. BOF!

Pomps and Pipes, I got it at Amazon.com, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000159M/qid=1046556905/sr=1-6/ref=sr_1_6/103-5181442-4502263?v=glance&s=classical

http://referencerecordings.com/index.htm

RR%2058s.jpgPOMP & PIPES!

"The Absolute Sound Super Disc List"

A sonic spectacular featuring the giant Fisk pipe organ in the Meyerson Symphony Center. A heart-stopping sonic experience in powerful HDCD sound! "...The finest wind ensemble collection I've heard in years...The demonstration-class sound...has to be heard to be believed...A no-brainer on my Want List." --Fanfare

RR-58 HDCD $16.98

(Listen Using Real Audio)

1. Praise The Lord With Drums And Cymbols

2. Allelujah! Laudamus Te

3. Grand Chorus In Dialogue

4. The Vikings

5. The Power Of Rome And The Christian Heart

LOL

9.gif

I told you all Pomp & Pipes track four is a subwoofer killer.Now try and explain this to Boze and Sony WM40 owners. 3.gif

BTW even the smallest Sunfire passes with flying colors.No dents and pops

My Aerial SW12 loves Pomp & Pipes. 1.gif

Good story Prodj,poor poor salesman.Wait until his boss discovers he damaged the sub and did not sell anything.

yeah, the sunfire is the only thing that comes to mind in the 10 inch range that can do that super low stuff. the B&W just looked like it was about to die......than it did. the velodyne I was really suprised that it would start bottoming out, since it wasn't THAT loud. but than again, p and p is a really rough CD. lol, and to think, this one guy said that you never need a sub in your system if you have good speakers. I'd like to see a pair of full range speakers that can play p and p well.

Prodj,

No,a second or third RSW15 will provide more punch where it shines.Pomp & Pipes demands linear response down to 16Hz.The RSW15 output drops like a stone below 30Hz,at 25Hz its weak and at 20 its near to non existance.

A Sunfire Signature starts to do justice to P & P,and if you want to hear(feel)all the P & P goodness you must get a sub like the Velodyne HGS18,Revel B15,SVS Ultra,HSU TN1220,Aerial SW12.

Even large JBL subs are far from ideal,as they are weak around 20Hz.

Prodj,you probably know as well as any of us the rsw15 can't do justice to pipes.That being said, I'm jammin REO speedwagon live DVD-A and the 15 is fantastic.I have quite a variety of dvd-a and the 15 never fails to impress me or anyone I know.For rock and most all music this sub kicks unlike several I auditioned could not.Enjoy that 15,the big velo hgs18 was the only thing I liked better because it does HT/and Music both very well,kinda expensive.I settled on the most musical sub at my price(much less than msrp),and feel every note as I type.

----------------

On 3/2/2003 8:36:51 PM easylistener wrote:

How will my 20-39 pci fair with this? Am I going to hurt it?

----------------

As long as you're not cranking up your volume to 120dB+ levels all day long, your SVS will do fine!

I have over 450 pipe organ CDs and about 200 organ LPs to my collection (but I don't own "P & P" yet). When I had a tube preamp, I had a home-made 15" Dayton DVC Series sub inside a 3 cubic foot sealed enclosure powered by an SAE A205 200WPC amp/AudioControl Richter Scale Series III active crossover. With this subwoofer (rated at 20Hz) playing along with my Cornwalls (at full range, no cutoff), I never experienced any gross distortion/bottoming out to any of my drivers, and I like my gains at near-live levels (and large pipe organs can be very loud, especially at full organ with several 32' pedal stops drawn in the bass). You have 16Hz fundamentals at the lowest C on the pedalboard, and with the lowest octave in the bass playing at 100dB, the only thing I ever noticed was my room window vibrating like mad!

I think that sales clerk had something hooked up wrong in his showroom, or he had too much power connected to the B&Ws and/or turned the volume up way too much. Something was screwed up/misadjusted/set up wrong to have a Velodyne bottom out, and for a dent to form on a B&W driver cone, IMO!

wow, wonder how impressed his sales manager

is with him?! HA!

Gee would like to try this test on my KTP 484

subs...

IM my case,.i worry more about structural dammage to the house....lol

cause so far..i havn't been able to tax the

484's with anything i throw at them.

Don't sound stores just luv customers like us!

"I am a Canadian too"