Original Rega Planet party on Audiogon!!

I thought this was worth mentioning here........

Those of you who frequent the forum know of this machine. For those who aren't aware, it's the cure for "digititis"! A very smooth, analog-ish CD player that I fell in love with at first listen. Great with Klipsch. Mobile Homeless recommended component9.gif

There's four on Audiogon, just posted in the last two days. At the asking prices, a very good deal. While these guys tire of the Rega, you have a very good opportunity to scoop 'em up.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL

another "KELLY" recommended component.

get a life dude

mobile's new name is "pompous azz". Quite appropriate, don't you think? Its a good first step....admitting

Despite the rumblings from others concerning the lastest digital offerings, after I sampled several quality machines in comparison (Wadia, Mark Levinson, Proceed, and top end Arcam), the original Planet was the only model I felt sounded in the same league in the under 1K range. While the other forum members can debate about hooking their computers up to their system, something I have never found particularly compelling due to the RFI and horrible atmosphere with the average box, I still think the Planet is one of the most musical players. It's extended and natural, while being full bodied, though the top end never sounds forced or harsh. This 18bit machine is a natural beast. As a second system, I am still considering running a Card Deluxe option. As of now, I have yet to make a copy of vinyl on digital that equals the ease of the vinyl although I have thought they sounded better than early digital masters, this off a nice analog rig.

Most of those that put the Rega down have not had it in their system. Like mediocre solid state, the top end is hard to get right, and most solid state falls short. So does most digital. I'll wait to let SACD mature some more; so far, I havent been as impressed with the titles nor the medium yet to drop the better ducats to get a player with a good analog section, something that most lack.

If you can get a Planet for in the $350-375 range, consider it a great buy. I have had two units. And ergonomically speaking, they have been the best I have used, banishing the cheap sliding tray. On top of that, it's one of the best transports around as has digital outs.

I have a Linn LP-12 and a Progressive-Engineering super table. The 18bit Planet with the custom Burr Brown chip holds it own.

kh

artto

ENOUGH ALREADY !!

Apparently Kelly pissed you off somehow - I don't know the details and it may be that you have reason to be pissed - but frankly your hounding him from thread to thread and sniping at him every time he makes a comment makes you look like the schoolyard bully !

Why be sorry. It was a fine post and virtually a shoe-in rec. The only problem with the Planet is the large break-in time and the need for quality interconnects. More warm IC from the likes of MIT dont really do as well, although I thought that mid-level Tranparent Cable was ok. The Superlatives do very well. As I said, I still think the Rega Planet is more musical sounding than a majority of the of the sub 1k 24 bit machines. I went for an upgrade purchase and left after a prolonged audition. Frankly, nothing pleased me more. At the $350 level, it's a steal. The player has great timing, is robust, and smooth without sounding slow or dull. Digital is getting better. This player was a steal at $650 (as it was discounted at some salons). At $350, it's a no brainer. It's a well-balanced machine that is very liquid sounding.

kh

ps- Nice assumption, Paul. Does it get any better than this? I have now heard (Sony and Marantz) SACD using quality gear, though not with tubes and not in home. I have heard it in very nice systems. I was not impressed with the sub 1k machines as they still didnt have the ease and quality. I also feel the titles are still limited. And a lot of the material released on SACD was not pleasing subject wise. And in the $350 bracket, I personally dont think the SACD players are better. There is a lot more going on than the DAC.

What's with all the editing of your posts after you post them? Every time I blink you've changed something. You can't even stick to one name, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Here's what I see happening: You get testy whenever anyone disagrees with you. What you deem going downhill is whenever anyone disagrees with you. This observation should sound pretty familiar to you by now. I don't have anything against the Rega; I've never even heard it. Nor do I mind if you and many others love it. All I am telling people who ask is that they should try SACD. But you are choosing to get defensive, and belittling something great, which you have scarcely heard. Remember, no one is going to take your beloved Rega away from you.

What I find mighty puzzling is that you claim to be able to hear the tiniest conceivable differences in things, really nutty tweaks if you will, and yet you can't hear the difference between SACD and CD. That is really odd.

Who is getting defensive? Why dont you try rereading the thread, Paul. See the first post of mine. Nothing defensive. I was just agreeing with the first post. On the other hand, your post WAS offensive. But I barely reacted to it either, just answering the call that I hadnt heard SACD. Now you weigh in with your next post, for more of the same.

I dont know what you hear nor do I really know your system. I dont see it listed. I dont happen to enjoy much of the gear I see you discuss here either. But that is just preference. Perhaps it's experience, perhaps taste, perhaps a bit of both. I see we dont have the same taste in gear or music so we can take that into accout as well. Perhaps you bought a vintage tube amp. Many have. I dont remember.

I did not like the lower end SACD players under 1k. I finally got to hear the Marantz SA-1 and the take offs as well as the Sony 777ES. These players were on another level than the lower cost SACD in the mid-hundreds. Still, I wasnt totall sold then. This is just my opinion. AGain, I dont like the titles yet so I am waiting for the medium to mature. I wrote a succinct post giving my views. Your assumption was incorrect. I didnt even waste time with some pithy retort in this thread, focusing on the subject, which was some used REga Planets for good deals.

Give it a rest. I think SACD has good sound, far surpassing DVD-A in my view. But I think the Rega is the more musical player in the sub 1k range. My opinion, chief. That's all. Take it or leave it. Just as in people telling me for years that CD was better than vinyl and SS more accurate than valve amps...it's a matter of opinion, taste, and experience.

When I think the SACD titles have increased enough and the players far surpass what I have, I'll march in and make a purchase. As is, the Planet has a home as second fiddle to my vinyl, though I sure am not suffering too much.

kh

I've bit my tounge before on this diatribe but this is ... {chomp}

Thanks for the tip, dnd! I've been watching eBay and Audiogon very regularly for the past 3 months and haven't hit anything yet, especially on Audiogon. You said 4 units were for sale but I only saw one? At any rate, $399 is my limit and that's what the guy is asking. I think I'll try to give a planet a spin before diving into SACD, since my primary interest at this point is normal CD's.

With the Sony C222ES you can even turn off the display! I didn't notice any difference in sound though. Curious if I can with el Planeto de Rega.

Mace

Dont pay that asking price. Offer the guy $350. Pay $375, and that is with a box and manual and from a person that takes care of his gear. Share some mails with the chap. See how he sounds. See if he is the first time buyer. Also, ask why he is selling and what gear was was partnering it with. What were his complaints? These are all stock questions but should help.

Even if I upgrade to a better player in the future, I will always have a spot for the orginal Rega Planet, probably the first CD player I have ever had that I really felt was not a compromise and did tubes, and SET in particular justice. The Rega seems to be a good mate with Klipsch Heritage as well. IT has a richness and more robust sound with warmth that jibes well with the vintage Klipsch.

kh

ps- The Planet can have the display turned off. In my view, this really helps. If the power goes off (frequently at the beach with storms) and I didnt know it, I usually can tell by listening to my Planet. I'll walk in an look at the display..it will be on. Audrey can now detect it as well, which is scary.... But this is more noticable with the SET system.

I only edited the writing and not any serious content. Nice answer to my points I made. I edit just about EVERY post I make and my original post had no defensive angle. I have been editing posts like this after reading them since the first of the 3500. I did NOT edit "out" content to make my point. Christ....

Do me a favor and pass over my posts as you dont seem to take much from them which is your perogative. Better than these type of responses. WE dont see eye to eye on anything much and now the retorts are just repetitive. I dont even enjoy the exchange nor do I imagine anyone else.

kh

----------------

On 3/4/2003 11:19:00 PM We, the mediocre wrote:

Dont pay that asking price. Offer the guy $350. Pay $375, and that is with a box and manual and from a person that takes care of his gear. Share some mails with the chap. See how he sounds. See if he is the first time buyer. Also, ask why he is selling and what gear was was partnering it with. What were his complaints? These are all stock questions but should help.

Even if I upgrade to a better player in the future, I will always have a spot for the orginal Rega Planet, probably the first CD player I have ever had that I really felt was not a compromise and did tubes, and SET in particular justice. The Rega seems to be a good mate with Klipsch Heritage as well. IT has a richness and more robust sound with warmth that jibes well with the vintage Klipsch.

kh

ps- The Planet can have the display turned off. In my view, this really helps. If the power goes off (frequently at the beach with storms) and I didnt know it, I usually can tell by listening to my Planet. I'll walk in an look at the display..it will be on. Audrey can not detect it as well. But this is more noticable with the SET system.

----------------

Thanks for the tips! Your stock questions happen to have been my stock questions which I've used in the past, and already shot at the seller before posting here... I suppose stuff from this board has worn off on me.

If a Planet works out, I'll be using it with some steely SS for a while. I figure when I give tubes a whirl and if something doesn't work out I can resell it and not lose much at all.

Incidentally... the "display off" comment was directed right at 'cha. I remember reading that post well... my wife asked what I was reading and I told her and she demanded I relinquish the computer to her at once since I was wasting my time utterly!

Mace

****I only edited the writing and not any serious content.****

UNTRUE

****I did NOT edit out content to make my point.****

UNTRUE

****Do me a favor and pass over my posts as you dont seem to take much from them which is your perogative. Better than these type of responses. WE dont see eye to eye on anything much and now the retorts are just repetitive.****

How about this, instead. I'll read or not read any of your posts as I decide. I'll comment on any of your posts that I feel like commenting on. And if you want to comment back, or not, that is up to you. I like that way better.

----------------

On 3/4/2003 11:28:45 PM synthfreek wrote:

mace they're there. Enter "rega" in the search field and scroll down to the cd players. There are tons. I second with Kelly on the SACD issue. Until some current cutting-edge stuff is being issued I could care less.

----------------

Hmmm... I just looked, under http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?dgtlplay and only saw one. Is it possible that 3 of the 4 have sold? If I'm not a member of Audiogon (which I'm not) do I not see all auctions and sales??

Mace

Indeed.... I dont blame her. My wife says the same thing and she is right. The time I have spent on here could have been spent in a host of other more meaningful things.... but it's addictive, just not the wisest use of time.

As for the display, I have felt that LED displays on gear have been a subtle degradation for a long time, this way before the Rega. Sometimes it's hard to ascertain and I have found it easier to detect if not listening for it. I literally will hear it and come walking in to find the display on, something I always leave off. I also NEVER TURN THE REGA off. Hell, I dont turn hardly anything off anymore, not even the 2A3 Monoblocks which finally got turned off to hear the P6D Tripath Digital amps from Leok.

kh