Original Rega Planet party on Audiogon!!

So Kelly recommends the Rega. This is good. EVERYONE recommends the Rega Planet. I've never read a bad word about it. I would only hesitate to buy one because they are getting along in years somewhat, and CD players are prone to early failures if not treated with some care over time.

Personally, I stay here because of the somewhat relaxed atmosphere, and I can say what I want without having to worry about being flamed. I used to post at the Asylum -- but any post has the potential for igniting a war. It gets old.

I consider Kelly somewhat eccentric and rather unique. Though I think he is out of his mind sometimes, I have stepped into waters I normally would not have, and have come out with an understanding of his perceptions -- and am the better for it. I bought the Scott because of Kelly's love for vintage sound, I bought the Superamp because of his preference for low power, I bought the Apollos because of his kinship with SET, and I waddled into cable hell -- and in all this -- finding that most of what he said is true. In the end, I go in a different direction, trading some transparency for more control and authority in my music -- but this does discount any of his opinions. At any rate, I'm enjoying my music at an unprecedented level because of him.

I'm also prone to multiple revisions of my posts. I read them once posted, and realize the verbiage I employed didn't really get my meaning across -- so I change it. Then I notice a letter missing from a word, and then a grammatical mistake. I care enough to fix the post.

I consider Kelly a friend, and I can only say that if some of you cannot contribute something positive to the forum in the form of suggestions to advance listening pleasure -- you might consider going somewhere else. Please.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelly,

The nonsense in this thread illustrates exactly why I was sorry for doing that. I guess that I've not been paying attention to some of the prior vitrol to anticipate such hostility - just for mentioning a well known forum member's preference. It is my general practice to ignore this kind of stuff. A strong opinion is one thing (which some members here give you grief over, but I find very beneficial), personal attacks are another matter entirely. When I see someone get personal, the rest of that post goes blank. I just throw the whole post out.

I participate in this forum because of the lack of the usual hostilities shown on other forums, plus the fact that high efficiency horns have their own set of "rules" (if a poster on another forum doesn't use high efficiency horns, I don't find the info as useful). I can express a wrong opinion here and be corrected by factual and anecdotal evidence instead of flames. That's why I find this place unique, because that "blundering" is all a part of the learning process. By making those errors I learn, by sharing what I learn, others gain from my mistakes and experiences.

I really do feel indebted to this place, because I have benefited so much from it.

The best method of dealing with such actions is by way of our time-tested self-policing methods. The trolls only get off on our response to the vitrol. Sooner or later, if such posts are ignored, they will go elsewhere. We as a forum do not need to make these posters look like a$$es by our response, since they are doing a good enough job of this on thier own.

I regret that this thread was reduced to discussion other than the Rega.

I am going to jump on the "pro Kelly" bandwagon also.

Kelly's comments and recommendations have given invaluable direction to my search for the sound I was looking for. I was on a previously aimless search for lower powered amps and on Kelly's recommendation, and overall great reviews, I took a leap of faith and bought a pair of Moondogs. That was the best audio decision I have ever made. Kelly has exchanged countless emails with me on many subjects and I am forever indebted to him.

I agree with Dean in that I don't/didn't always end up going the route Kelly pointed, but his advice has certainly helped me get my 2 channel system to where it is much sooner and at less cost than it would have without his advice.

I really can't understand how some BB members who have unquestionably benefited directly from Kelly's knowledge and generosity join in bashing him on this BB.

Peace my brothers and sisters!

Now I've got to re-read this an make an edit or two...

Hey dean,

"I" have actually read a few negatives about the Planet. :) Of course, dammit, I think Kelly mentioned them as well in a post months ago but he downplayed their significance. It was a nice informative post he made.

What in the hell is wrong with this forum? This forum is almost a religion to me and over the course of the last few months it has gotten real, real lame. It is disappointing to log on here now.

If Kelly isn't providing some advice and/or engaging in a discussion with some of our more knowledgeable members, the number of posts drops significantly. I thought that was bad; the number of posts now provided by insecure males who have a hard-on for Kelly is worse. At least in the past you could find some humor in the retorts and laugh at Kelly's and others' subtle and not so subtle jabs.

Today the attacks on Kelly border on the fanatical ravings of elementary students.

Kelly,

I don't want to get into the middle of your little flame session here. But just to make one point clear Paul has more EICO amps then you and me put together running his SACD !! So maybe his gear is to your liking ! 2 HF-81's and 2-HF-12s for multi channel SCAD on Klipsch Heritage has to sound incredible !

I personally think the SACD player even in the $400 to $600 dollar range new are a good bargin. You could buy the Rega for $350 or $400 used and it take a dump on you in a week and your up the creek with no paddle. I've never heard the Rega and bet its a fine machine so lets make that clear. I don't want to get in the middle of this !!

Craig

I made no personal attacks on Kelly and don't even know him personally. I do stand by everything I said.

To quickly recap: I expressed my guess that Kelly had not even heard SACD. This did not come out of the blue by me in a Rega thread; Kelly brought up SACD in his first post. This turned out not to be the case; Kelly has given it a quickie audition.

Then Kelly went to his patented condescending routine, which I chose not to ignore.

Kelly then proceeded merrily to change his posts around, which had nothing to do with grammar, spelling, or punctuation and everything to do with making my replies seem a little skewed. I didn't let that slide, either.

Then we have the "Kelly is wonderful" crowd come to his defense.

No big deal. Let's not get all hysterical and predict the end of the Klipsch Forum as we know it.

Anyway, speaking of the Rega: On the other thread about the Planet, I gave a link to posts in which lots of people had compared CD playback on the Planet to CD playback (not SACD playback) on various SACD players. Some people preferred playback on the Planet, and some did not. But I didn't read a single post in which someone said he preferred a CD title played on the Planet compared to the same title on SACD.

As I said, I haven't heard these CD players. But I have read about them. And it seems that they impart a sound to CDs that many people find pleasing. And that's great. But it is certainly not an accurate sound. It's a sound that is making some kind of change to the material to compensate for something else that is wrong, whether it be source material, equipment, or room, or simply it happens to match someone's personal taste. Not everybody who has heard the Rega likes it, but a lot of people do. It isn't a neutral player; that's what I have gathered from reading other people's experiences with it.

Holy cats! In reference to that picture of the Dragon... wow. I've never seen a CD player like that.

As Ren would say "You iiiiiidiot!". I've been looking just at the first page on the Audiogon CD listing site (the one I posted). I never clicked on the "Classified" link at the bottom of the page. d'oh, d'oh and double d'oh!!! No wonder over the past several months I've seen no Planets.

Mace

I am on the Kellys side on this. I dont see were all this negative stuff is coming from.

Kelly has helped me out so much with his posts. He is not saying if you dont buy this you will regret it or if you buy this you will be happy for the rest of your life. He has had the opportunity to hear a lot of equipment and is only expressing his opinion. Sometime he comes on over the top, but thats just him. I would hate and Im sure you all would hate it if everyone was like me.

I have never met Kelly or talked to him, but every question I have asked either on the BB or emailed him direct he has answered and always has been dead on target with his answers.

I can honestly say that if it wasnt for 3 people ( Kelly being one of them) I would never have discovered tubes.

I did buy the Rega Planet 2000 before I started hanging out on this BB. My amps and speakers have been purchased from Audiogon. I always offer them $100 less and work from there.

Hey ED how do you edit and what are you wearing when you check out this BB?

Danny

Db,

I agree everyone needs to do what I have done take Kelly's post for what they are his opinion !! This Kelly bashing is getting old and just causing this place to be less fun to hang out in. Obviously Kelly isn't going to change anymore than the rest of us !!

Oh and who are the other 2 that helped you get into tubes ??

Craig

Craig,

When I first started hanging out here the guys who were talking tubes were Kelly, Edster and Mdeneen.

Mdeneen and you were trouble shooting a amp that you had. You got it working and you were amazed at the difference in sound between SS and tubes.

I bought an AES A3 preamp because it was on Kelly's list and Edster had one. It made such a difference that I bought a pair of Waves. I wanted to get a pair of Moondogs, but couldn't find any and I didn't want to put a pair together. I found a pair of Wright's, again because Edster and Kelly had mentioned them.

I started getting pumped about mods after reading about how far you have come so I ordered all the resistor's and caps to upgrade the Waves.

I would like to get some of the classic stuff. I maybe wrong, but I believe I first heard about Scott's from a post you made. I know you and Kelly talked about them.

This bashing is getting old. I would not have the system's I have now if it wasn't for this BB.

I know I check Audio Asylum, but unless you are into the hi price stuff it's hard to get info.

Later,

Danny

Paul,

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the exchange between you and him is the point. It just seems like Kelly is getting coming and going these days from all angles. I just read Danny's post and agreed were talking about him getting the treament from a number of people not just this thread. He may very well have brought this on himself because he does write in a way that sounds like he is talking down to everyone most of the time. I just learned to consider who is typing and ignore it. Argueing with Kelly gets you no where I have learned that the hard way !

Craig

I'm just reading this thread for the first time. I echo many endorsements of Kelly. I've said it many times before but he's a GREAT guy with a great sense of humour. Over time, I've come to believe our preferences for sound qualities are similar and I've never been steered wrong by him. Look at my two channel list and you'll see stuff that he SUGGESTED I consider, and I've been VERY happy. If I didn't like something, I wasn't going to blame him; it was my decision.

Editing is not a bad thing. People who write well do it all the time. There are many ways to illustrate a point, and it's not uncommon to change something written five times. After that, it's diminishing returns. This paragraph was an edit as well.

Craig, this was not "Kelly's flame"; on the contrary, he was trying to stay out of the fray and it was others who were flaming.

Over the last six months, we've had a lot more invective and vitriol hurled here. It's depressing frankly. We're all adults (except Justin) for the most part. I think there's a higher standard implied.