What is the sound difference between La Scala and Belle

m00n

I have been wanting a pair of belles for a while now, however I have never heard either the belle or la scala. I was just wondering what differences I would hear between the two if I did an A/B comparrison using the exact same receiver wires and all that.

I would have thought that there would have been a difference in sound, however someone posted that they have the same sonic signature and that they only look different. So, now I am a bit confused...

Thanks

m00n

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the LaScala's and have never heard the Belle's but from what I understand, the Belle is just a pretty LaScala. I heard it was Mrs. Klipsch that didn't like the look of the LaScala as a center channel so for the improved WAF, Mr. Klipsch created the Belle. I hear Belle is also Mrs. Klipsch's first name.

Hey thanks for your reply. Please belive me when I say that I am not dissagreeing with you because I'm not at all, but it seems odd though that two speakers that look so different would sound the same.

That's funny though that even PWK himself had to deal with WAF.9.gif

Moon

The performance factors between the two are identical.

The only difference is the squawker horn. The Belle uses the K500 or K505 horn. The Las and Khorn uses the K400 or K401 horn. The 500 series is a bit smaller than the 400. The 500 is designed to go down to 500 Hz where the 400 is designed to go down to 400 Hz. So ---- Not much difference.

Now, personally, IMHO - I like a good dampened metal 400 horn. I notice a bit more detail when listening to a full choir with the larger 400. Now we are talking a very very extremely subtile difference and I am a perfectionist for what its worth.

If you get the chance to hear a LAS go for it. The Belle will sound 99.9999% the same.

JM

PWK wanted to use a Lascala at home as a center channel between two k-horns. Previously, he was using a Cornwall, and before that a Heresy for center-channel duty. His first wife, Belle, did not like the looks of the LaScala, but she "allowed it into her living room." One of the reasons she disliked the LaScala was because it was plain plywood construction, and NOT the fine-furniture look of PWK's walnut veneered k-horns or the previously used Cornwall or Heresy. Another reason she disliked the LaScala was that she was able to put a long tall table over the Cornwall or Heresy...to kinda hide them a bit(Cornwall was original Cornwall II model on its side). So, in order to bring a smile to Belle's face, as a surprise for her, PWK designed and built the first Belle Klipsch speaker...naming it after and giving it to his wife. He designed it so that it stood alone as a fine piece of furniture, no table needed to cover it up...and so that it was an aesthetic match for the k-horns, while still having the sonic performance of the LaScala...IOW a dressed-up LaScala. Pretty simple! Belle passed away in 1975 or early 1976...and shortly after, PWK married Mrs. Valerie. He also designed a speaker for her...to use in her music classes, but Mrs. Valerie, upon hearing how difficult the cabinet was to construct, and how the builders assigned the task had called it a "little bastard"...told PWK just to name it the "little bastard". The speaker was designed and first built in 1976, and was designated the LB-76. It is basically a smaller version of a LaScala, with "half the folded horn of the LaScala turned up on its end"....the mid-horn of the Cornwall(or maybe Heresy?), with the tweeter vertically mounted to one side of the midhorn. About a half dozen pairs of LB-76's were built, but it never went into regular production because the cost in labor to build it was more than that of the LaScala...and since it was intended to be a smaller, more easily maneuvered-around speaker that approached LaScala performance at a lower cost than the LaScala...it simply wasn't economically sound to spend more building it, but sell it for less! Pretty simple! I always loved to borrow a pair of LB-76's from the plant to take to the river for parties and such when I worked there...they really sounded great!

There isn't much difference. As stated previously, the Belle was indeed named after PWK's first wife, Eva Belle Klipsch. The bass horn is actually, virtually identical to the LaScalla. Its just wider & more shallow instead of narrower & deeper. The bass horn length, throat/mouth areas are substantially the same. Accordingly, the mid horn had to be shortened as previously mentioned, to accommodate the decreased depth. & the crossover network was appropriately changed to accommodate the higher cutoff frequency of the mid horn.

If you can hear the difference, .....act accordingly. Some folks like the LaScalla, Some think the Cornwall is the real deal, others the Khorn. Hey, they're all Klipsch Heritage, right?

For what its worth.....Barbra Streisand has a 3 channel LaScalla setup in her "preview room".

Given that you already own an RF7 theater and switching is probably going to be some form of a "cost", you may want to hear the LaScala or Belle before paying for any shipping expenses. There is a lot of detail on this board about the pros and cons of the sound.

I find the LaScalas to have a tight bass but not a low bass. As a standalone pair of speakers I prefer the deeper Cornwalls. Many will say I'd rather have tight bass than deeper boomier bass so it's a preference. There have been stories of customer returns due to bass dissatisfaction so they probably aren't for everyone.

Now when you run a musical sub with the LaScalas you get the bass, however, some on this board are very critical of subs with 2-channel and haven't been able to find a good musical sub that blends well with the LaScala.

My rather newbie experience with Heritage is once you go heritage you need to go all they way. The center channel for sure and I find timbre matching between the surrounds preferred as well. The Reference series is voiced notably different...even the KLF C7 center I owned was voiced notably different.

I was initially shopping exclusively for Belles but got nervous about the bass and bought Cornwalls...plus Cornwalls are half the price.

There are many with a lot more hours on heritage and Belles/LaScalas than I so search the archives...it's a popular dscussion.

artto Thanks for the explanation and if barbra has them then I want nothing to do with them just on principal alone. Just don't like that woman. 2.gif j/k. Well, I'm not joking about not liking barbra anyway.

kjohnsonhp Thanks man. Good things to think about. At this time, if I was to buy a set of either belles or la scalas, I would most likely use them in my house where my two channel is and not in my theater. At least for now. Has anyone found a good sub to use with the belle or la scala?

I have both and personally like the sound of the LaScala better, although they both sound great. I just seems the midrange is a little cleaner. But the Belle is easier on the eyes. You can't go wrong either way!

artto,

You had made a comment regarding the crossover on the Belles vs. The LaScalas - You had said they were modified.

I am currently constructing a Type 'A' for my Belles. Would you say that there is any difference in Type 'A's between the Belles and LaScalas? I am planning on using the 13uf and 2uf Cap - T2A Autoformer and 2.4 mhz. coil.

Thanks3.gif

NOZ,

The "little bastard" was NOT the Belle...it was a completely different speaker. The Belle was designed, built, and named for PWK's FIRST wife, Belle.

The "little bastard", was a speaker PWK designed for his SECOND wife, Mrs. Valerie...he intended to name it after her, but she just told him that since the builders already were calling it a "little bastard" to build, she thought it should be called the Little Bastard...AKA LB-76. PWK agreed with her and that name is what the "LB" in LB-76 stands for...LOL!

Leok,

Parties at the lower Little Missouri River just north of Blevins, AR were a standard weekend thing for employees of Klipsch and the other locals. There are nice gravel bars there for that...just take your ice chests of food and beverages, set up a grill and start bar-b-queing, throw a couple of LaScalas or LB-76's out on the gravel bar with speaker wire running from your car tape deck, float around in the river on tractor-tire inner tubes...maybe do a bit of fishing...and you are all set for a SERIOUS warm-weather party!! Lotsa fun for both young and old...kids and adults!! Happened ALL THE TIME...and it probably STILL DOES! Ya don't have to go to Disney World to have a good time with your family and friends! Ask Trey...I am sure HE has spent some time there on a warm weekend!!2.gif

While my Scott 299C in in the shop (OK, Craigs house) I am powering the LaScalas with a HK430. Right now I'm listening to Crash Test Dummies and the bass I hear is all the bass I need. Smooth, tight, and clean. Not bass to shake my bowels loose, but clean refind musical bass. No need for a sub unless your Las or Belles are in the theater or you like a little thumpty dump music. Of course I am powering it with a 25wpc HK beast. Little receiver is a jewel.