Cleaning sticky patch

gtDark

Well just brought home my new RF-3's from Tweeter today and much to my annoyance they have a few sticky patches on the "wood" of the top and sides. Know of anything to get this stuff off ? I tried warm water and mild soap, but that didn't get it off too well--course I am kinda wary of scrubbing it to death too. It's sorta like tape residue, like when you leave duct tape on something for a while and it heats up a bit, then when you remove the tape it leaves a gummy residue. Got any suggestions ?

matt

some good things that will get it off.

first, Goo Off, works great.

If you can find it...

d-Limonene and d-Limonene LC, great products, the best that won't damage plastics (as long as they are not left on the plastic and it is a decent plastic).

Harder to find, and far more potent, Ethyl Lactate. This is some powerful stuff and works best on things such as glass or very durable surfaces like laminate counter tops and, well good veneer (just don't let it soak!)

Go with Goo Off, MUCH less likely to cause harm.

any of the citrus based cleaners out there do an awesome job removing the sticky stuff you are describing....

Orange Glow.....Presolve by LPS...Citri-clean by Rawn.....

most of the better hardware stores carry some version of the above....

personally, i would recommend the Presolve by LPS...fantastic product!

russ

Haha, kenratboy..not quite THAT exciting 9.gif

Thanks for all the responses guys...interesting approach lynnm I'd definitely try that but alas I don't have any corn starch or talcum powder lying around the dorm room. Guess I'll have to head to Home Depot and see if they have any of the chemical solvents you guys were specifically referring to.

matt

p.s. if you need a laugh, after i get my rc3 and new receiver (HK AVR 510) hooked up i'll post some pics...talk about squeezing that gear into an already cramped 12' x 15' room 9.gif

----------------

On 3/13/2003 12:18:16 AM gtDark wrote:

Haha,
kenratboy
..not quite THAT exciting
9.gif

Thanks for all the responses guys...interesting approach
lynnm
I'd definitely try that but alas I don't have any corn starch or talcum powder lying around the dorm room. Guess I'll have to head to Home Depot and see if they have any of the chemical solvents you guys were specifically referring to.

matt

p.s. if you need a laugh, after i get my rc3 and new receiver (HK AVR 510) hooked up i'll post some pics...talk about
squeezing
that gear into an already cramped 12' x 15' room
9.gif
----------------

All I can say is 9.gif. Anyway, how about some Goo Gone from any store. It might work perfectly. Last thing you want is too strong of a chemical that will f up your speaker.

Mineral spirits was my favorite thing in the world this last past summer when I was working for a contractor/construction. That stuff works wonders on getting off oil-based stuff...even on that horrible smelling tar-like water sealer for roofs.

matt

----------------

On 3/12/2003 8:41:07 PM justin_tx_16 wrote:

Go with Goo Off, MUCH less likely to cause harm.

----------------

Justin has combined the words from two completely different products, Goof Off, and Goo Gone. Goo Gone (a citrus-based cleaner) should work great, and not harm the finish. Goof Off, on the other hand, will remove the finish on your RF-3's, and give you cancer if you breathe it too much. Nasty stuff, but it will remove dried latex paint from safe surfaces (glass, vinyl flooring, Formica, etc.). I'm sure Justin meant no harm!

9.gif9.gif9.gif

fini

Justin,

You didn't say Goof Off, you didn't say Goo Gone, you said Goo Off. I just did a Google search, and, by golly, there IS aproduct called "Goo Off," but it seems to be used in scientific labs, and not readily available: Goo Off I think you meant Goo Gone, but if someone gets it wrong, and comes home from Home Depot with Goof Off, they'd be in trouble.

Did you mean "Goo Gone"?

fini

How do I get gunk off my Goo Goo Dolls LP?

Well I work in a laboratory and that is what we use, Goo Off, Goo Gone works but the solvency of Goo Off is greater and evaporation sped up to prevent damage, as well as a fire hazard as it is quite flamable.

d-Limonene and Ethyl Lactate you also would have a hard time finding. we use all these products in our lab. in order of potency (weakest to strongest)...

Goo Gone (toned down Goo Off)

Goo Off

d-Limonene

Ethyl Lactate

If any one wants a sample of these, a little goes a LONG way, let me know!

Dogone it, Justin! I didn't know you worked in a lab! You've got many layers, like an onion...sorry I doubted you, putting words in your mouth. Let's let Goo Gones be bygones.

Hey, your mention of Ethyl Lactate remindeed me of that I Love Lucy episode, where Lucy and Ricky's neighbor has a baby...

fini

No prob Fini. I went and figured how much we sale Goo Gone for. Its chemical name is Dipropylene Glycol Methyl Ether, we call it Expo DPM. (under glycol ethers at http://www.expochem.com/products/solvents.htm which is the site I designed. more datasheets are going to be added hehe)

We make it in the lab and sell it for 49 cents a pound. There are 64 physical ounces in a pound and calculating the specific gravity of DPM, that equates to 49 cents for 67.2 liquid ounces for 49 cents. Companies that sell it out of whole sale do it for 7 bucks a liquid ounce. That is 470.40 dollars for 1 pound of DPM. Talk about profit! What? 1000x greater than cost.

I started out as an admin. assistant, then an IT, then a lab assistant, to a chemist, she quit out of the blue and I have taken over her job.

Nice site, Justin! I noticed Olefinic solvents listed. Would that taste good with Mexican food, I mean for ME, FINI? Get it? OLE FINI ? Hoo, boy, that's funny, huh? I'd like to apply for a job there at the lab, that is, if I'd get to blow things up real good...

fini