help tpg get a new VERY time consuming hobby...

tpg

Recent events have left me alone, sad, depressed, and with a lot of extra time on my hands. And so, I am turning to you guys here.

I need some kind of new hobby that will take up a lot of my time. Currently, I visit 4 forums, but they are all changing so very little that it is kind of boring and I always see the same thing.

This new hobby should be not a physical activity, preferably. I was thinking about spending all of my time working on amps, but there is only so long I can do that, and I am not a genius in that field, though I quite enjoy it. As of now, two hours seems like days... I just need something to keep my mind occupied.

I just got off track in my mind again, so I totally forgot what I wanted to say... on that note I shall go. Thanks all.

A road bike... Well, problem there. I am 17, could have gotten my license a long time ago, but hate driving, so don't have it... so that is kind of out. I could, though, get one anyway, then I would be speeding and avoiding cops because if I got caught I would be severely punished...

.swf problems? Wish I knew anything about .swf. I made a cheap, sad webpage for my school band at the request of my director, who, then, once I showed it to him acted like I had wasted my time and that he didn't think we needed a page. So, I let it go. Now I use the server space for my own needs. Anyway, while I was making that page, I did run into troubles where in my editor it showed all the colors/textures correctly, but when I put it on the server, they were all wrong...

What is eating me? I won't tell now... I haven't told anyone... but it is killing me. Please don't pressure me to tell, maybe things will work out after all, but right now, everything looks bleak.

As far as stuff I have tried... I went to eat, couldn't eat. Had steak, didn't even take a bite of it. Tried playing videogames, just couldn't. Checked all of the forums, got tired of looking at them. Now I am replying to every topic I see here. Tried to lift weights (I know, I said nothing physical) but nearly passed out. I am still sore anyway from last time... wish I was fit... wish I had some decent muscle tone... Took a shower, almost fell over. And now, I am posting...

Please forgive my mad posting... I am merely trying to stay preoccupied. Thanks for putting up with me...

well if you do wanna get it off your chest, all you'll get here is support and help, so dont be worried!

you can tell us anything >=) WE LOVE YOU!!! 2.gif

if you're lifting weights... dont overlift.

take it easy, lift nice small amounts.

then you wont be too sore for too long.

just... dont do drugs or anything like that. because i will hunt you down and beat you over the head with a KLF-10 until you come to your senses!!!

i would suggest taking up an instrument... classical piano teaches discipline and calms the mind, worth a shot!

I hadn't lifted in about a year and found out really quickly that I had lost strenghth... I am still sore, I lifted hard, but didn't overlift.

I won't ever do drugs... I am too smart for that one.

I actually do play trumpet, though I never play when my parents are home... which is most of the time.

a mute actually does not mute the trumpet, only changes its tone.

i fixed the .swf file, now just trying to figure out how to make the email form on the top right work... any ideas? invidio? 1.gif

TPG, finish your amp and write that article. if you have any of your cheap amps that sound good, and you don't want it, I might take it. i don't have time to build another one, but i could send you some parts if you like. mine was killed in the wreck as i told you before.

there's a trumpet mute out there called a "whispa-mute"...it actually allows you to hear yourself but cuts the volume wayyyyyy down...

how about buying different trumpets on ebay....showing up shortly should be a king c-trumpet, an olds e-flat trumpet, a getzen Bb piccolo trumpet in a Bach Quad case, and a Dynasty 3 valve bugle (in G)....i'm cleaning out the horns I don't play anymore.....

weight lifting for 2 hours a day could get you alot. I don't like to practice with other people around for some reason, but the odd part is I don't mind performing at all. maybe cause when you're practicing stuff they're hearing the partially finished product and you don't want them to hear something that sounds like crap? oh well, either way, this is sorta how my bro started biking. he was just bored, and he started talking with my uncle, who was biking at the time, who loaned him a bike to get started. he took to it really quickly, and has gone to euorope many times, and to south america several times. actually, he's in arizona right now training for a race in chili.

----------------

On 3/16/2003 11:27:55 PM justin_tx_16 wrote:

a mute actually does not mute the trumpet, only changes its tone.

----------------

actually justin, practice mutes are designed to bring the volume down.

there are many sorts of mutes.

my personal fav being the classic plunger mute >=)

have you considered..

needlepoint? tying flys for fly fishing? raising baby birds? (they have to be fed constantly) contemplating your navel? (this one only applies if you weigh over 300 lbs). What about the oriental thing that people are getting into, that thing that involves sand and rocks? Fang Shew or something like that.

Cheeer Up TPG!

TPG

Forums should never replace your friends and family. The hardest point in my life was when I went through a messy divorce. In the hard times is where you learn who your real friends are.

Keep your head up. Things will get better. They always do.

Also - FWIW. Video games do not do it for me as a stress reducer. Maybe because I am older or something. Feeling the kick of my 12ga shotgun and smelling the powder etc. as I blast clay pigeons is much more fun than any shooting vid game.

JM

----------------

On 3/16/2003 7:31:36 PM trespasser_guy wrote:

I need some kind of new hobby that will take up a lot of my time. Currently, I visit 4 forums, but they are all changing so very little that it is kind of boring and I always see the same thing.

This new hobby should be not a physical activity, preferably. I was thinking about spending all of my time working on amps, but there is only so long I can do that, and I am not a genius in that field, though I quite enjoy it. As of now, two hours seems like days... I just need something to keep my mind occupied.

----------------

I now find myself in the same boat now that skiing is over for the season 8.gif. However, I do have other hobbies that I like to do in place of the skiing during the off season. I have the apsolutly beautiful Rappahannock river that I just love to go hiking along. The ski hill that I patrol at also have some awesome hike/bike trails to explore during the off season. Perhaps go on a day hike (yes, I know it is physical, but just being out and away for a little bit is sure nice). Make sure you know the area that you are hiking and have a good map.

Kings Dominion, the local amusement park is going to open up this weekend (3/22). I do love to ride roller coasters. I also cannot wait to check out the new drop ride they just put in! 352 feet straight down - sweeet!

I also like to play video games. Personally, I rather spend the time outdoors, but it is nice to sit down and blow something up Play Station Style every once in awhile 9.gif!

I am shopping around for a decent Jet Ski - those things are such a blast, and we have this huge lake (Lake Anna) not to far from here to take them to.

The roadbike idea seems intrigueing. I just wish there where some decent places to ride one around here - at leat in the immediate area. There are some back country roads that make for nice bike riding, but getting to them is the scary part. I have seen to many scary incidences around here between bicycles and cars. Still would rather ride a bicyle to get to the river instead of driving the car. The same goes for ATVs - they are such fun, but no decent place to ride them around here.

Back to the skiing part - I recently found out there is a tiny ski area not much farther than the one I patrol at that offers grass skiing during the summer. I'll definitly have to go check that out 1.gif.

----------------

On 3/17/2003 2:05:30 PM j-malotky wrote:

Feeling the kick of my 12ga shotgun and smelling the powder etc. as I blast clay pigeons is much more fun than any shooting vid game.

JM

----------------

yup.

nothing like exposing the ears to sudden bursts of 140db energy! >=)

i didnt think of this before, but look around for fencing leauges.

that is a sport of such disipline, skill, power, speed, and reflexes that you wouldnt even believe.

one exercise we would do goes liek this.

you would stand within attack distance of your partner with your blades touching.

then one partner would close his eyes. say this is you.

so you have your eyes closed, and your partner would disengange *take his blade off yours and go underneat it to attack* and you would have to feel the tiny pressure change in your blade as his leaves yours, and then time it perfectly to catch his blade before he hits you >=)

plus when you get in a good bout with someone a tiny bit better than you... FIGHT OF YOUR LIFE!!!

amazing sport! absolutly amazing.

i knwo you said nothing physical... but i really suggest this!

plus you devople redicous amounts of leg muscle.. i'm 5'6" and i can legpress ... 10 reps of 720, for 3 sets >=)

----------------

On 3/17/2003 4:24:52 PM JasN00b wrote:

i didnt think of this before, but look around for fencing leauges.

----------------

Ohhh, Fencing! Now, there's a good idea for off season training! Believe me, you'll need the leg muscle for skiing! (yes, I can also leg press 720 for 10 reps on 3 sets).

And I think there is a fencing league and gym in the area.