Speaker Cable Recommendations for Tube Gear

MBM135

I know that the cable debate is a diverse issue but was wondering what some of you are using to connect speakers to your tube amps. I want to buy a 10 foot pair of cables and stay around $120 or so with spade connections preferred.

I don't have time or inclination to solder so DIY is not an option.

Any advice?

Using Forte IIs with either a Jolida or Scott 299

Mark,

I bought these a couple years ago and liked them. I read what was on this page, but I only know enough to be dangerous...what do you think: http://www.alphacore.com/mispeaker.html Have I been had by the technical part of this?

MBM135,

I needed 10' lengths as well...you can order them with spades or whatever you want. It was not a big change if I recall, but subtle...they do look nice...and don't turn green!

the lower end audioquest cables, type-4, type-6 are in that price range and sound quite good. they are a step up over zip cord. why not get someone to lend you a pair to audition? compare it to your zip cord and as they say, if it sounds good, keep it. regards, tony

Tony,

9 times out of 10 I agree with you, but...

I love AQ CV4 and type4 with my HT setup. I'm using Denon (SS).

When I used it with my tubes it was too flat and dead sounding.

I think solid wire sounds good with SS.

Until I changed out my speaker wire to Alpha Core AG1's I was using DH Silver Labs T14 which I really liked. I think it's $3 per foot unterminated.

Another question I is what are you going to be using for IC's between your CD player and amp? This can also make a big difference.

Danny

I must admit I have not tried alpha core wires yet (down here I can only try what other people have in their systems and lend me, since there are NO high-end dealers here) but I treid some silver cables (some kimber stuff) and did not like the sound too much, kinda thin-sounding to these ears. anyone want t lend me some alpha cora cables to try? regards, tony

Mark,

Not everyone has near your level of knowledge in this area. 'The Box' is a cool idea. Truly though, doesn't it demonstrate that it's really not all voodoo with the cable thing? I mean, even though it's 'just wire', it has, or exhibits inductance, resistance, and capacitance values just like every other component -- and so does 'change' the sound somewhat.

The Goertz (Alpa Core): Cut and past these into your browser address bar. Don't bother clicking on the links, the server times out trying to load them.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=31061&forumID=68&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={EF1BBCED-884A-4CE1-9154-782989F1210D}

Interconnects were good, but I ended up liking the Cardas 300B better. Good synergism between the Cardas interconnects and Goertz speaker cable.

I have the Audio Quest Type 6 biwired on the HT system with Sherwood Newcastle separates.

THe AQ type 4 is on the 2 channel rig.

It would be more interesting to break the discussion down to solid core or stranded wire and not the love affair with a brand name.

As some have discussed, what were the designers using in the 1950's when they designed the good stuff?

Answer: pretty basic stuff for wire!

NOS should at least get some AQ type 4.

I will arm wrestle him into it over the next month or 2. He is kind of one of those scrawny geeky electrical techie types; I can probably take him left handed doing a shot of Crown Royal at the same time.

LOL

Rick

The cables DO sound different of course! Just the SAME way your system would sound different if you install a "virtual cable box" in front of your speaker terminals consisting of variable caps, inductors and resistors that can be "inserted" into the signal path at various levels. Building such a box costs about $10 and you can "simulate" cables costing $10,000 a foot!

You're saying that by inserting more into the signal path, you can simulate exotic cables???? It would be so awsome if this could be done as a blind test with zip chord, some moderately priced cables and some exotic high $ cables and your magic box. Quite honestly, I was not overcome by the difference in sound when I bought my Goertz, though back then I still had my SS amp and it did tone down the brightness just a bit. But I know also that I have already invested about $200 and that I had a $200 reason to want to hear a difference! The perspective is different in a blind test.

The concept of your simulation is even more interesting when you think that the job of a speaker cable is to deliver as purely as possible the signal fed into one end of it to the speaker at the other end. If this is indeed the quest of the "perfect" cable, and if better=more $$$$, then the $10,000/ft cable should offer the least coloration. Yet, inserting inductors, resistors and caps in the signal path must surely color the sound, so how can coloration simulate "perfect conductance"?