Slightly modded Khorns for cheap !!

lynnm

Made for Das Fatherland in the early '70's(?)! What is up with that "Y" shaped device? Better imaging? I'm not familiar with the Euro/Dollar exchange rate, but is $6275 and change a good deal? They do look original to my untrained eye, but painted white? (yuck!). And that device has got to go! Shame I can't read German.

Jim,

Nice translation for ugly, but i think you meant "hässlich", and that they are. Hässlich are not only the removable Y Aluminium profiles, more hässlich is the finish of the bass bin. The so called "Rauputz" is a finish for walls, some sort of cement. I don't found a correct translation for this word, that could explain it better (found only plaster or finery, don't know what hits). In short words the seller, a hifi dealer, gives in his description more advertisment than technical information. 3990 Euro are about equal to 4000 US$. New Klipschorns in Germany cost about 9000 Euro ~ 9000 US$. And when i mean new Klipschorns, i don't mean the 2003 model, the price is for the previous model with K33-E, K55-M, K77-M and AK-3 network.

The price for this pair of used Klipschorns is IMHO the upper limit and i don't think the seller gets a bid on it.

Bernd

Oops, Bernd...please don't take this the wrong way. I wasn't making fun of your German heritage or language (I'm half German on my mom's side of the family...her folks were from Dusseldorf). I assume you understand my loose translation:

"The big f&$#ing stinking ughly Klipschorns!"

But you have to admit, those Klipschorns are heinous, häβlich (is this spelled correctly?), or any other way to say ughly! Why install aluminum "Y" brackets to their faces? And "Rauputz" is a finish applied to their wood cabinets? Yuck! I wonder if you mean a finish like stucco (wet cement, sand, and lime) or even sheetrock? Whatever the owner used on them, as far as I'm concerned, he ruined a perfectly fine pair of expensive Klipschorns!

I also doubt whether the seller will get any bids on his auction. If someone does win his auction, then I feel sorry for the buyer's bad taste in design!

If you don't mind me asking, where are you from, and do you still reside there?

I'm going to buy them! 3.gif

I want to know how he made those "y" things. I bet those "y" things sound awesome.

They kind of remind me of those old Mercedes "gull wings", in WHITE

Looking at them it looks to me like they were ganna try to make a big PIE emblem, then stopped!

Figure this, i bought a 1975 set of k-horns, about the same year as these, and i only paid $1,200.00!

Only thing i did to mine, was place a solid oak molding, along the outer edges!

Nice walnut, original, if anyone pays that much for those, id say there desperate!

Regards Jim

9.gif

Those Klipsch babies like La Scala or Klipschorn are not cheap here. Look at this La Scala auction http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3316710824&category=23323.

But the prices for used Klipsch heritage product are to expensive. Since we changed from Deutsche Mark to Euro at the beginning of the year 2002 the prices increased. Some people seem to exchange 1:1 opposed to the official course 1 Euro = 1,95 Deutsche Mark.

I don't believe the Klipschorn shown above and the La Scala here will sell. Price to high.

Bernd

BerndH,

Greetings. It is a small world. I was stationed at the Old Herzo Base 80-83. We went into Erlangen many times for dinner at a place I Think was called the American lounge? Memories................ A nice city with one of the first McDonalds...

----------------

On 3/23/2003 4:36:08 AM BerndH wrote:

Jim,

I didn't felt offended, i really laughed about your translation, it was fun for me.

I'm from Erlangen near Nuremberg, that's about 400 - 500 km from Dusseldorf.

Bernd

----------------

From 1983 to 1986 I was stationed in Ludwigsburg, about 40 km north of Stuttgart. I knew a friend who married a German girl from Erlangen, but unfortunatly, I couldn't attend the wedding there. Such a beautiful country though; I really enjoyed my stay there. I did visit Dusseldorf (home to my mom's parents, but we no longer have any living relatives in Germany anymore), and I've visited most major towns and villages from up north in Hamburg, all the way to Hannover, Wiesbaden, Wurzburg, Strasbourg, Heilbronn, Munchen, down to Neuschwanstein, and everywhere in between.

The only city I wish I could've visited but never had the opportunity to was Leipzig...I'm a big J.S. Bach fan, and I would've liked to travel throughout the city he spent most of his later life in...Oh well, maybe someday.