Who here listens primarily to Polkas?

Cool!

You will actually find great similarities between polkas, celtic music and mexican dance music. At the National Folk Festival held in Chattanooga a few years ago, I attended a workshop that had a real polka player, the kind who uses a 'stomach steinway', to a Mexican American playing a smaller squeeze box to John Williams (the only name I remember, and no, not the star wars film composer). He did a lot on a concertina. The similarities were quite striking. The Mexican American said that a lot of their music came to them from German immigrants, which sure made sense when you heard the music.

It was all very good. Anyone ever go to a wedding in Wisconsin, where they would hire out a hall and have a polka band for the wedding reception? Wow! Everybody dances, form little kids to the old laies. What a blast.

Marvel

You are taking me back to my university days in Kitchener/Waterloo, home of Oktoberfest. Beer, schnitzel, pig's feet, sauerkraut, oktoberfest sausage and the all time favourite, cabbage rolls and coffee. Have a few beers, bounce from one side to the other, step on a few feet, spill beer on your friends, have fun, and en prosit.

I can't say that I have made a point of listening to it since, but it was a great party once a year.

Greetings Gentlemen,

A little old lady about 80 came up to me while I was searching through the LP's at the local thrift and asked me if I would like to have some records she had at home. I immediately said I would come over and take a look at them. They were mostly classical and big band in very good condition, but in those records were about 30 Polka LP's, mostly Frank Yankovic and the like. She tried to give them all to me but I said I wanted to give her something for them, so I gave her $50 for the lot. I guess Polka is an acquired taste, but it sure is peppy.

Regards,

Greg

When you take clarinet lessons and you are 5 1/2, the "Clarinet Polka" seems like the best thing since... "Don't Fence Me In". If you can emptor your caveats Dominican Folk Merengue is the next best thing (plenty accordian and skokianish alto sax).

ps, fini, you were right, those cheerleading girls did help me to focus. In the stacks they were all over the Floren.

c&s

----------------

On 3/28/2003 11:34:25 AM Marvel wrote:

Cool!

You will actually find great similarities between polkas, celtic music and mexican dance music. At the National Folk Festival held in Chattanooga a few years ago, I attended a workshop that had a real polka player, the kind who uses a 'stomach steinway', to a Mexican American playing a smaller squeeze box to John Williams (the only name I remember, and no, not the star wars film composer). He did a lot on a concertina. The similarities were quite striking. The Mexican American said that a lot of their music came to them from German immigrants, which sure made sense when you heard the music.

It was all very good. Anyone ever go to a wedding in Wisconsin, where they would hire out a hall and have a polka band for the wedding reception? Wow! Everybody dances, form little kids to the old laies. What a blast.

Marvel

----------------

You got to be s###ing us. Please say yes.

Attended a wedding in Maddison. They played Zappa...and danced!

I.B. Slammin.. . ..and a one and a two..

Of course some of the weddings in Madison would play Zappa. UW is still living in the 60s. But somewhere between Madison and Milwaukee is another country for sure. I kinda meant it as a joke, but there are similarities. It's easier to hear when you have demonstrations of the different styles side by side. It was funny seeing this guy who normally plays cahunta (sp?) music groovin' to an Irishman playing a concertina.

Marvel

When I was a wee lad, my dad aquired an old beat up accordian from an Army buddy, and he'd pump out a few Polka tunes (he still has a soft spot for Polkas...on his computer he's downloaded a few Polka MIDI files!)

While I was stationed in Deutschland, I enjoyed the cheerful tunes of German Polkas when I celebrated Oktoberfest in Munchen (Munich) in 1985. But I was totally trashed at the time on Munchener Bier, so anything would've sounded good!

Is this like the story of dropping a banjo and an accordian from a ten story building and asking which one hits the ground first?

The answer is: Who cares!

Pass the Leinenkugel, my stein is empty!

Marvel

----------------

On 3/29/2003 6:38:11 PM Marvel wrote:

Of course some of the weddings in Madison would play Zappa. UW is still living in the 60s. But somewhere between Madison and Milwaukee is another country for sure. I kinda meant it as a joke, but there are similarities. It's easier to hear when you have demonstrations of the different styles side by side. It was funny seeing this guy who normally plays cahunta (sp?) music groovin' to an Irishman playing a concertina.

Marvel

----------------

Marvel,

I knew you were kinda joking.

I think people in Madison lived in the 60s in the 50s!

But thanks for mentioning the Irish anyway. Did you know that God created alcohol so that we Irish could not rule the world?

I.B. Slammin ...to River Dance

Invidiosulus has pointed out to me (he is younger and still has brain cells) that the National Folk Festival had Mingo Saldivar (the Conjunto player.)

The polka player was John "Stanky" Stankovic of Stanky and the Coal Miners.

I do, however, remember enought to really say it was all good music.

Marvel