can't enjoy music since fighting started

jdm56

First off, Webmeister, please don't banish this thread, 'cause it ain't about the war. All I'm saying is that since the fighting started, I just can't seem to listen to and enjoy music! Very distressing! It just seems so...selfish?...or trivial perhaps, to sit on my comfy little futon, right in the old "sweet spot", with all these images of dead young american soldiers etched in my head; And I didn't even see the pictures! (of the executed POW's).

So...I just wonder if anyone else is experiencing this too, and also, what music might be recommended that would be appropriate for myself and perhaps others like me, who find it hard to appreciate the beauty of music during such disturbing events in the world. - PLEASE, NO POLITICIZING!

James

Yeah, I know what your talking about. For me it's not just music, but everything. I have been kinda outta character every since it started. I find it hard to be happy and joyous. It's exactly as you said, you feel guilty for enjoying some things.

However, it does not always take something like the war to make me feel this way. Several months ago I was on my way to pick up a new RC7. On my way, I passed an entire family standing along side the road. I mean dad, mom and two kids... The father was holding a sign that said, will work for food. Needless to say, it made me feel like pure sh1t that here I was going to the local audio store to spend some $600.00 on a speaker that I didn't even need while a family was in need of food. 15.gif

whenever I'm feeling pissed off or ragefull, I just throw on one of my pump up songs that is really hard core (maybe Hit Em Up by Tupac or Victory by Puff Daddy) and crank it up so I can't hear anything else that's happening which makes the anger worse at first, than I get into the music and forget about whatever I was angry at.

But you have to remember. They are dying for you, so you can listen to your system in peace, so you can live you life in peace. It would be a real shame if their deaths were in vain.

So, listen to your music, enjoy it, and support our troops, they are there for you, and all of us.

James,

We have similar issues here in our home. Our first "pre-emptive strike" was to turn off the television once the war started. I just don't think parking in front of the tube watching Baghdad go up in flames day after day is healthy - for adults or children. Sure one wants to stay informed - but this doesn't require 24/7 war imagery on the tube to accomplish. Personally, I'm sticking with the print media this time around (which has always been my preferred source of news anyway).

I've not watched 20 minutes of the NCAA hoops this year, because of the war coverage overload. I am watching the hoops coverage to GET AWAY from the war coverage - I wish they would give us a break from this, at least during the games. I don't want to see Baghdad on fire during each time out - I can get that on CNN if desired.

Our 2 channel system has been the most used area of our home since this all started. My wife and I are having more meaningful conversation in that room over music instead of going mind-numb in front of the tube. It's been a big help. Plus the weather is getting warmer - so we've been finding other ways to keep busy outdoors too. Find something else that interests you, instead of the TV. I give my wife a bit longer hug, savor the ale just a bit more, and appreciate and enjoy the music more than usual, for it is times like these that I begin to understand just how precious life is - and not to waste it. I appreciate much more of the "little things" in life everyday, and I am making time for those other things that I've been wanting, and meaning, to do.

No Jim, it's not just you. I'm seeing the effects of this with many I associate with. Everyone seems tense, agitated, on edge. And we/they should be. If we were not reacting in such a manner, we would be brain dead.

No matter what the medicine, I recommend starting here: KILL YOUR TELEVISION. And pray for those overseas.....

Excellent post.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore

That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,

A home and a country should leave us no more!

Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.

No refuge could save the hireling and slave

From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:

And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand

Between their loved home and the war's desolation!

Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land

Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.

Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,

And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."

And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

Having 5 friends that are on subs that might be over there2.gif and 3 Marine friends its sometimes tough to sleep at night wondering what they are going thru.

Just before all this started I purchased Saving private Ryan, Band of Brothers and We were Soldiers. I can't stand the sight of the boxes right know.

Well try to enjoy the tunes and the flix

Scott

Well I'm about to get upset from watchin my tv,checkin out the news until my eyeballs fail to see.They say that every other day is just another rotten mess,and when its gonna end my friend is anybody's guess.So I'm watchin and I'm waitin,hopin' for the best,I think I'll go to prayin'cause everybody keeps on sayin'.There's noway to delay that trouble commin' every day,no way to delay got trouble commin' every day. Frank Zappa. Don't let it bring ya down too much,keep em' in your thoughts(like you are)that's about all you can do.

I know what you mean James. Last Saturday I was in Sound Advice and probably would have pulled the trigger on a new B&K receiver had they been willing to deal. Now I'm feeling guilty about the whole thing.

I feel awful about what those young men and women are going through over there, the POW's especially. They are doing something that has needed to be done for years and are making the sacrifice for us.

So even though I'd like a new receiver badly, I'm a very fortunate soul who is just going to wait.

My TV has been silent quite a bit lately. The longest I had it on was last night, and that was just to watch some Star Trek DVDs. For the news, I just go to the internet and get the news. Our local newspaper (The Free-Lance Star) has an excellent site. The TV has gotten so banal and useless, between all the commercials and other non-sense, that it is just not worth it. Yeah, it is kinda cool to see the video, but after awhile, like was mentioned, do I really need to see something get blown-up in Baghdad day after day? At least today, I finally got to do something I had been waiting all winter to do - get to hike up about 5 miles of the river. It was just so nice and peaceful to get away from it all and be out there with nature - no TVs, no computer, no cell-phone. The most high-tech thing I had was my cheapo $6 digital watch. It truly was beautiful. The only reason I came back in was that thunderstorms were coming in.

It is difficult for me to watch a movie on my HT becuase of the war. I have a nephew with the marines. He was due to be married after he got back from Afghanistan. He had to delay the wedding when he was sent to Kuwait.

Now I am reading about the logistics being so fouled up that some marines were down to one MRE per day. I have no doubt that the logistics will be taken care of, but now the suicide bombings have started. It looks like it will be a particularly messy war.

Bill

Well, it seems I'm not alone then.

It's just the first time in memory that I've gone a week and did not listen to ANY music, when I could have. I've spent some evenings glued to Fox News; others just stretched out on the futon in my music room, my precious klipsch system just standing there silently. I might just lay there in the nearly dark room, and...think; Think about those young men, (not much more than kids, really), and what they're going through. The ones who have lost their life; I wonder how it happened and if they suffered; The possibility of American POW's being tortured, killed - who knows what evil those SOB's in Saddam's regime would do to those poor souls, God help them.

Music, the language of the soul. I wonder if Saddam and his thugs love music? Hitler did. He was an artist, a painter, yet he murdered millions and directly caused the deaths of hundreds of thousands more. How complex the human soul must be to be capable of containing such contradictions. The bible says man was created a two-fold being: natural and spiritual. How great, the evil the carnal man is capable of when the spiritual man is subdued and is a stranger to God.

I think I'll put on some music; Eva Cassidy's "Songbird". And try to pray for the men and women who are protecting our freedom.

Jim,Glad you started this thread. I too have been out of it-but music seems to be my only outlet. My case is I can't concentrate to read a book. Found my self restless, and finally realized it was all the stuff I was addicted to war coverage-and not realizing it!

So I turned OFF the TV and listen to music....such a claiming influence.................

Especially in light of having 7 work mates sent overseas!!!! It's hitting too close to home.. Thanks

As I was driving home yesterday afternoon from yet another job interview, I saw a large crowd on both sides of the roadway there in downtown Lakeland...waving American Flags and holding signs and banners that read "Support Our Troops!" They all were waving and cheering, and everyone in their cars were honking their horns and flashing their headlights in unison. Men, women, children, young and old alike, proud Americans. As I drove past these crowds, I honked my horn and waved at everyone I could make eye contact with! A tear formed in my eye, and I shut off my car radio for the remainder of my drive home! A home I will be able to go back to, unlike so many of our fallen soldiers and marines, men and women in uniform, and those that report on the news.

My Cornwalls are silent...