Favorite Surround Sound Movie Moment?

punch1

I would like to solicit the input from some of the movie buffs here to find out what movies are a definate must have for us up and coming home theater enthusiasts? My experience is limited at this point, but I was impressed with the T-Rex scene in Jurrasic I. What's your favorite?

Pat

The beginning battle scene in DTS on the Gladiator DVD, and the initial scenes in Terminator 2 when it flashes to the future. When the terminator crushes the skull under it's foot you should just about jump out of your seat! The battle scenes on the Star Trek First Contact DVD when they are attacking the Borg cube is awesome as well. The list is endless!

I should have also added Apocolypse Now Redux. The sound just blew me away. The opening scene with the helicopter circling overhead and the sound inching from one speaker to the next was awesome. I personally wouldn't recommend the new version and its added chapters for its content, but only for the new sound.

Pat

Obviously action movies will satisfy your need for whizzing bullets and pounding bass 9which I, by the way, love). One of my favorite alternatives, however, is the DTS track for American Beauty. The movie is awesome, and the DTS tracks has a seemless ambiance in the score and his dreem scenes are really intense with the DTS surround track.

Shaun

Chapter 2 "Saving Private Ryan" when they storm the beachhead: I haven't heard anything that can compare.

I agree w/ Frzninvt: "Terminator 2" is among the very best, all throughout the movie.

Most of the chapters from the "Band of Brothers" DVD set are outstanding.

Also, "The Cell" is not too shabby, esp. in the hallucinatory sequences.

"Minority Report" offers some very good scenes.

Some rarely-mentioned gems:

There are some nice moments in "Signs"; when there are noises coming from other rooms in the house, when the telephone rings, when the dog barks.

Spiderman has some nice panning between the rear channels when Norman Osborn (Willem DeFoe) hears the voice in his head.

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring has wonderful ambient sound throughout (and gives your sub a good workout, as well)....

As I said the last time this thread made its way around, the avalanche scene in XXX is the best wall shaking scene I've heard. And I agree that Saving Private Ryan (opening beach scene), the cave scene in Lord of the Rings and T2 are all great to show off your system. My local Tweeter dealer shows the cave scene in Lord of the Rings when trying to sell a system.

Gladiator in DTS,as was said before the opening scenes are true full range sourround at its best and Lord of the Rings cave scene has awe inspiring energy(those with true subwoofer armies will better fear high SPL here).

Plenty of great movies but the two above stick out

Near the end of Minority Report there is a sudden gunshot that startled me (I was in the other room and had begun to tune out the movie because it got quiet) but that's not a good example.

I agree with others who bring up the battle scenes in Pearl Harbor. Another fun one is "A Bugs Life" with the grasshoppers flying around.

Agree with most of those mentioned. Gladiator has great opening, Lord of the Rings is rather good throughout. I would like to add small scene but one with major efects. Dragonfly where Kevin Costner goes into another room. Your rears will really bark.