How does one clean dried-up beer from a computer keyboard?

fini

Don't ask. Serious question, though. Some keys are a bit sticky...It's one of those new "clear" Macintosh keyboards (the kind with no visible screws?).

P.S. I am not concerned with saving the beer.

fini

Until you said Macintosh it was easy. Spend $8 and buy a new one.

It probably has little platic tabs that you have to flex to get it open. Depending on the design, taking the top off will result in all the keys falling off. Hate it when that happens. If it uses rubber dome technology, there are individual silcone rubber cups (inverted)under each key or a single silicone rubber mat with the domes all molded in. The latter is the easy kind as you can just wash the top side off with no problem. Then clean the keys so they will move freely and reassemble.

Marvel

----------------

On 4/10/2003 9:14:00 AM Hofy wrote:

----------------

On 4/10/2003 7:43:25 AM fini wrote:

P.S. I am not concerned with saving the beer.

fini

----------------

What??!! Time to get your priorities straight. Save the beer!
2.gif

----------------

Well, the beer is all dried up. I keep hitting "refresh," but it doesn't work...

fini

Ok, a serious reply.

Any good non-lubricating tech spray (Radio Shack) should flush it clean. May take a lot of it, but it should do the job. Hold it 90 degrees so the stuff runs out easily and rotate it to all sides.

THEN go get another keyboard and more beer.

Dave

Is this really a beer issue; or do you own that "Bad Dog"?

Years ago the original IBM PC keyboards were very diffiuclt to take appart and reassemble. Coffee or soda in the board was a real problem. One repair manual suggested placing the fully assembled keyboard in tray with distilled water, soak overnight, rinse with distilled water, and let dry for a day or more.

One time a secretary at my office spilled some cran-apple juice in a keyboard. It was a simple keyboard from RS. I took it apart and cleaned it with tap water, let things dry, and reassembled it. No problem.

It may be helpful to note the location of all the keys before you start. Either see if you have a duplicate keyboard, make notes, or put it face down on a photocopy machine. That way when / if the keys fall out, you'll know were to put them back. Fortunately I had a duplicate keyboard.

Good luck,

Gil

----------------

On 4/10/2003 3:37:29 PM KenLehr wrote:

Come on, this is forum of sophisticated users! We would send out the rookie for ribs and beer and a new keyboard. The old keyboard would be placed into the Monday trash and claimed as a deduction to charity of at least $45.

HRBlock

----------------

I'm not really a "rookie," although I play one on TV. Or everyone's monitor.

Craig,

A bath, huh? How do I know when it's totally dry inside? I'd be out of commission, computer-wise, for a few days, huh? How would you guys get along w/o me?!??!

Probably sounds like a great vacation for most here... ("Uh, you'd better soak the keyboard for at least a month, old boy...")

fini

Bill,

It's an "Apple Pro" keyboard, about a year-and-a-half old. New ones have white keys, mine has black. The body of the keyboard is clear plastic, matching the iMac.

I just checked eBay. "Like new" can be picked up for $40 or so. I may get a replacement before attempting the cleaning of this one.

fini

I'd try cleaning it first. try popping the keys out. thats what I do on mine if I spill something in it. this is also one of the reasons I don't like apples a ton. not only do they have poor software support, but the peripherals are too damned expensive.