LaScala Subs is it possible???????????????????

DVois

I have an extra set of LaScala's since the addition of a set of vintage KHorns. Could I convert my LaScala's into 2 separate subs without modifing the cabinets? If so, how do I go about doing this?

They would be passive with an amp separate from them if this helps.

Doug

You can't really do much without modifying the cabinets as the size of the horn mouth pretty much determines what the low end cutoff freq is.

Up in the updating older speakers forum there is a thread about the LaScala driver and there are some posts on how to mod the cabinet so you get increased low end response.

I don't know that you would be able to increase the low end enough to make it viable as a sub when you already have Khorns.

But I am no expert.2.gif

Peace, Josh

Did you get those 1968 Khorns that Adam Amaral was selling ?

If so I wish you all the best. I bought them but Adam and I were unable to find a way to get them to me here in Canada. Enjoy them and love them and care for them !

Damn ! I wish I had them here !

lascala's don't have what you would call sub like bass response (rolls off around 50 hz I think). but, if you wanted to get by without moding the cabs or anything you could buy a crossover for them to cut everything but the highs. or else just get an amp and hook it up to the sub out of your receiver/preamp. I don't think that they'll work well for subs though.

----------------

On 4/16/2003 8:18:52 PM Invidiosulus wrote:

Up in the updating older speakers forum there is a thread about the LaScala driver and there are some posts on how to mod the cabinet so you get increased low end response.

Peace, Josh

----------------

Oh really? Hmmmmmm, interesting. I wonder if this same theory can be applied to the belles.

Doug, I did not realize those Khorns that I told you about were that old. I thought they were '70's vintage. I attempted to get behind the one that was there but could not see the S/N or crossover. So those must have the type "A" crossover in them then. Interesting.

Frzninvt- Yup they do have the type "A" crossover. F was the letter in the SN#. I was born in 67 and now have a pair of klipschorns from that era along with the 62 vertical cornwall's. It can't get any better than that. Thanks a bunch and I hope we are able to hook-up next weekend.

Doug

----------------

On 4/18/2003 10:51:34 AM HDBRbuilder wrote:

Why screw up a perfectly good set of Belles with mods????? I can understand people making mods to simple plywood cabinets...but Belles????

----------------

I am about 90% estatic with my belles, but, there is 10% where I am not happy because there is just no good solid deep bass comeing from them. The belles give me a case of the "smores"... I want some more bass. 9.gif

I realize placment and what your driving them with has a lot of input here, however, due to WAF, I am very restricted on what I can do in those regards.

No room for one. Not to mention again the WAF... But I am going to post a new post up in the sub section because I have a possible idea on what to do with my extra bass driver left over after replacing them in the belles.

Sorry for the long post, but this is not a trivial undertaking. If you want to turn a Lascala into a sub, the mod is more mechanical than anything else. The other response to your post had correctly stated that you had insuficient mouth area on the Lascala horn (for sublike low end) .... so increase it! This undertaking in concept is not so much different than the adaptor you have to build to be able to play the corner horns in your back yard... i.e. you have to build extensions to the corner horn (false corners). On the Lascalla sub project, how low you want the frequency to go may however run you out of real estate in your listening room! It has been quite a while since I have built a set of these... so I can't give you the equation for continuing the exponetial flare... but you can determine the rule yourself by putting tape measure to your Lascalas and documenting the rate of throat area increase for each folded section. Not too hard.... as this is the way "builders" figure out how to build these.

Dont't let the expontial scare you off , there are no curves in the low end unit in these speakers.. as they are exponential only in terms of two or three straight line flare segments approximating an exponetial flare. You would simply have to build an adaptor that continues the rule of the exponetial flare of the horn. Keep the mouth height constant at the current 2 feet (if you want the mid and high end drivers to remain unblocked) and flare to 4 feet wide for a start. I am guessing that your adaptor will be approx 2 feet deep (making the system 4 feet deep).. This is actually pretty easy to hack together with some spare plywood or particle board and clamps/duct tape to see what it sounds/measures like. If you don't want to do the measurements and math, play with the flare until you like the sound. Note that you do not need a hermetic seal between the Lascala and the flare extension. Best experiment outside as the room becomes quite influential at these low frequencies. You don't even need a bottom to the flare extensin... your floor (or back yard) is OK. for an additional challenge, you can get clever like PWK did and build a flare adaptor that is folded to take less room. You can also go tall insead of wide if you do not care about the mid and high driver being blocked... Have fun!!!

To each their own, of course, but I agree with HDBRbuilder...why modify a beautiful pair of La Scala/Belle Klipsch? I don't think you can achieve any lower bass response from their woofers without sacrificing their cabinets; their woofers and folded horn design are really only designed to go as low as they do now, no more.

Look what happened to m00n's Belles...their previous owner tried to pump out more bass then they were designed to produce with tone controls or an equalizer, hence the blown woofer! And m00n may want to build a subwoofer cabinet for the extra woofer he has left over after replacing both his Belle's woofers with new ones, but you just can't build a box and slap a woofer in it hoping it to become a subwoofer. That particular driver is designed to only go down so far; for it to become a sufficient sub, you'd have to know its response curve and design either a ported or sealed cabinet big enough volume-wise to support those low frequencies...I'm afraid that after all the math, you'd end up with a subwoofer cabinet that's 6 cubic feet or more, and is as big as the Belles themselves (if not more)! And it still wouldn't be enough low bass.

It's just my opinion, but I feel that alot of new Belle/La Scala owners don't do their research before purchasing a pair of these vintage/new Klipsch. If they read up on their specs first before buying them, they'd know that the loudspeaker's bass response isn't all that low to begin with. Sure, the La Scala/Belle's bass is sufficient for certain types of music where ultra-low bass is not an issue (and then their bass shines, no doubt about it). For me, I primarily listen to pipe organ music that produces bass response in the low 16 to 25Hz range, so I know the La Scala/Belle Klipsch are not for me, even though I love those loudspeakers! Therefore, I won't purchase a set unless I have sufficient room to house them, and I can add a subwoofer.

I know...you've always dreamed of owning a pair of La Scalas or Belles and now you have the opportunity to get them, but you really have to have the room for these massive horn speakers in your listening area! If you only have a small room in which to place them, then maybe you shouldn't buy them, no matter how much you always wanted to own a pair (Klipsch makes smaller horns for smaller rooms that sound as good). But since there are those that have already made the investment in purchasing them (and the WAF is an issue), then buy a small subwoofer! Klipsch, Sunfire, Velodyne, M&K, REL, Definitive Technology, et al...there are so many companies today that build very small subs that produce ultra-low bass response that you can easily find a hiding space for (and WAF will be satisfied as well).

Don't butcher a pair of La Scalas in hopes of obtaining deeper bass...it's just wrong! FWIW.

Y'all still riding hayburners, or have you seen one of those au-to-mo-biles?

PWK would have thought you all were Luddites!

Since none of you have bothered to read the entire thread at AudioAsylum.com, I'll summarize:

Your LaScala/Belle can have more output at 30hz than the Klipschorn does.

You can 'try it before you buy it', meaning no cabinet mods to try it.

If you have a pair of LaScala industrial, even better: they come with the back of the HF section boxed in and the K43 woofer as stock.

If you have the LSI and decide to 'buy it' without the 'try it' and you don't like it, you can change it back:

WITH NO VISIBLE CHANGES.

On the other hand, no one has wanted to change back.

I'm not preaching to the choir (you've already tried it), and I'm not trying to change the minds of the Luddites (couldn't possibly be changed). I am interested in discussing this with people sitting on the fence (still have an open mind).

• 1 month later...