Cable Elevators

rowooo

I've taken a somewhat different approach to this age old problem.

Those little cable holders are always falling over -- ya know what I mean?

It's much easier to use a Telescopic Holeless Hydraulic Elevator. I use one of these, which has replaced my rack. When I'm ready to listen to music -- I raise the system up until the cables are no longer touching the carpet. An unbelievable difference in sonics!

0,1393,7844,00.jpg

Deang.....What's one of those go for? Geez, I thought I made myself clear in my initial post, guess not. Please now, I'm not saying these things will work, far from it, I have no idea, but it never hurts to try something and was simply asking if anyone had used any of these ideas. I know there are some closet elevators out there so speak up don't be embarrassed or apprehensive to respond. Show no trepidation toward the old fangled, castoff past responses. And Deang, my goodness, one would think you would try anything!9.gif

I hate even to admit this -- but I HAVE tried it!!

Hell, you can use anything between the cables and the floor -- as long as it's acting as a dielectric. Vibrapods, wood blocks -- your name it.

I figured MAYBE -- yeah -- if the carpet is holding a static charge, and the speaker cables aren't shielded. I tried it and just plain couldn't tell if it was doing anything or not. But being the half paranoid idiot that I am -- when I ordered new cables, I ordered 6 footers -- so they wouldn't touch the floor.

Yeesh, I can't believe I admitted this -- I pray Craig doesn't read this. 9.gif

I'll take the odd man out route and comment .

The olny time you would need to elevate and or isolate cables form any source of outside interference ( such as the floor) would be if you have very poorly shielded and or designed cables.

Some of you may snicker at cable shielding "BUT " if you ever live in a RFI hell hole you would be a converted believer in the difference a properly shielded cable can make.

If I remember this correctly:

The energy in a wire carrying an ac signal alternates between current (in the wire) and magnetic field (around the wire). If a cable is constructed with interleaved +/- conductors then I believe the magnetic fields cancel so there is little to no surrounding magnetic field. More separated +/- conductor configurations will result in more surrounding field.

If the cable is lying on a material that will absorb energy from a magnetic field (or possibly even one that has a different dielectric constant from air) it will absorb energy, resulting in frequency and phase changes.

In my house the floor material is wood and I don't worry about it much. If the floor was soft iron I'd have the wires suspended.

I would say, keep the wires away from (an inch or two) metalic objects. If you have a metal floor, which you don't, .. So, after all that, I believe the concept is valid, but under most circumstances, insignificant.

leok