Onix Rocket loudspeakers

KAiN64

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They look like Dogg Digital speakers and probably sound like them. I know of no where you can listen to them. They get a lot of noise on one of the HT forums, but that doesn't mean they sound good. The owner of the company posts there and each post raeds like an advertisement.

Only 1 post I ever read from someone who ended up buying them. I think it was space constraints and/or WAF that made him settle for the rockets but he stated that they did not even come close to the sound quality of equivalant klipsch (can't remember any more details than that and I've never personally heard them so take this FWIW).

Uhhhh...

It seems that some of you have no clue on these speakers. Why don't you do search some reviews?

One of members of this forum got them because the Klipsch RF-7 wouldn't fit in his room. And he is VERY impressed by their quality.

The reason you can't find them in stores is because they only sell on the Internet.

I have heard the Rockets several times. They can be auditioned in owners homes through audioenvy.com or through owners ID'ed on their forum...just as we listen to Heritage at fellow Klipsch forum members homes. Putting them in stores would double the price.

First Klipsch and Rockets seem to be opposites. The Rockets are designed as a multi-purpose speaker but primarily for HT...so far similar to Klipsch Reference although maybe Klipsch REF is more 50/50 music/HT (ie rock references in their ads), but the ROcket sound is "lush" or rich and laid-back. Many fans of Rockets find Klipsch too bright and forward for their tastes. They like speakers like DynAudio, Vienna Acoustics which are warm and laid-back. They find detail in the high-end but not bright nor as neutral as many stereo critics prefer. The Onix Reference Series is designed for more music and a more neutral signature.

Many Klipsch fans find these laid-back speaker brands to be lifeless and dead. They don't hear the air and detail in the high-end they prefer.

If you are shopping for speakers that compete more with B&W N804, Vienna Acoustics, DynAudio, etc. but want a speaker in that league at fraction of the cost then the Rockets are great. If you like Klipsch and none of these types of speakers then Rockets may not be a good fit.

The are affordable due to manufacturer direct model. Their fit, finish, sound and customer support are outstanding. Their owners are active on other forums and their company responds to questions about their speakers on those forums. Other manufacturer-direct brands do the same thing. There are a lot of posts about Rockets and their owners are very active posters. THere are also a lot of owner reviews vs other brands. Some of this can be perceived as over-exposure and turn lurkers off. Others are drawn into it.

----------------

On 5/8/2003 12:55:54 PM KAiN64 wrote:

Uhhhh...

It seems that some of you have no clue on these speakers. Why don't you do search some reviews?

----------------

Kain...

You are at the Klipsch forum! Why don't you go to the Rocket web site forums and ask those folks what they think of the Rockets? Or better yet, ask them what they think of Klipsch.

**I edited this post** 6.gif

it is interesting that Klipsch is one of the most mentioned brands on the AV123.com Rocket site. Posters seem to frequently asked about Rocket vs Klipsch. I guess that is becuase Klipsch is affordable and well known. Of course Rocket owners don't like Klipsch much at all...perceived as bright, forward and harsh. The Rocket sound is "lush", rich and laid-back. Klipsch fans probabably have the same opinion about Rocket as Rocket fans about Klipsch. Some people like hot and spicey and others like sweet....it's taste thing. Neither seems to appeal to the neutral audiophile crowd that likes flat response. The Paradigm Studio 100's seem to be in the middle and more popular with the press (ONIX is not in the magazine press).

----------------

On 5/8/2003 9:50:22 PM space_cowboy wrote:

Sorry Kain, but who really gives a sh*t? Post something relevant to Klipsch...

----------------

I think that it is a worthy question, but unfortunately falls under the 'Not many people have experience with that brand to compare to Klipsch speakers' category.

I too have listened to various Rocket setups.

Much to the chagrin of others - I find the Rockets to be the best price/performance cones (that I have heard) and they are darn attractive in some of their more formal attire. The owners have some of the same passion and reality checks (we know what we are selling and who we are selling it to) as SVS and HSU. That makes them an attractive choice from a customer service stance. I have visited off and on (electronically) with the owner - Mark Shifter - and find that his opinions and reviews of the same things I have auditioned run similar to mine. Further some other folks I have grown to trust give him high marks as well.

There is no comparison between Klipsch and Rockets from a preference stance. Very few folks that really like the higher freqs through horns will opt for the Rockets, regardless of their price/performance value (although Gordon Groff very sincerely did so and is a great person to visit with on the subject). They are cones and will definitely be much softer than the Klipsch. My big however here is that the high freqs on the Rockets don't have that annoying tinniness I find on almost all cones trying to get detail in the higher end.

Lastly, Shifter's (the owner) preference in personal use loudspeakers - big old horns. I believe he is a Khorn owner (if memory serves me well). His intent was not to compete for 'hornies' but to make a darn good cone speaker that is inexpensive, attractive and true to specs. I believe he has succeeded.

BTW - Mark, if I have put words in your mouth that don't belong and you are trolling this board, please correct me. I will only cower in shame for a couple of months....

----------------

On 5/8/2003 4:40:25 PM NOZ wrote:

----------------

On 5/8/2003 11:29:18 AM j-malotky wrote:

Oh Boy...

Maybe Moon or Noz would like to comment

JM

----------------

Na man! Aint going there.

Me neither
2.gif

----------------

Look! A life form that will go there! He He He

marvinship.jpg

For the record, I too have heard the rockets. I agree the cost per value is great, but if you love the "KLIPSCH" sound, you may be disappointed. And if you are a Heritage listener like myself, forget it.

FWIW, used Heritage IMO is probably the best value for sound quality anywhere.

Also, my first post was a joke refereing to the antics of some of us a few months ago. Most of you replying to it got it, FYI - NOZ, Moon and the others are no way experts in Rockets.

JM

----------------

On 5/9/2003 3:11:17 PM j-malotky wrote:

Also, my first post was a joke refereing to the antics of some of us a few months ago. Most of you replying to it got it, FYI - NOZ, Moon and the others are no way experts in Rockets.

JM

----------------

Oh, I got it also, but I just chose to stay out of it 12.gif.