Finally, the 1968 Klipschorn pics

jhawk92

Ok, I finally got around to getting the photos resized and ready to post. First some background on these speakers. I picked these up from a fellow forum member up here in New England. These are the same ones that Lynnm was looking at, but the shipping fell through. I went up to listen to them and after 20 minutes, said "Let's load 'em up!" They made the trip back to CT in my Explorer just fine and I spent some time cleaning them up before letting them sing.

First I dusted out the top cabinets and crossovers (not much to do there) and also cleaned up the side panels. Then I put three coats of the linseed oil on, over the course of about 10 days. The veneer was in excellent shape before and now they just glow.

So, without further delay...here we go. The first two pics are of the S/N tags. Everyone get out their trusty decoder ring to make sure that "G" means 1968!

Sticker%201.jpg

sticker%202.jpg

Here is one with the side grills removed and before I started with the oil work. As you can see, veneer is in great shape.

before%20oil.jpg

Here is the same speaker, after 3 coats of the linseed oil. Not sure that the photo captures the true warm glow after the oil was applied, but it comes close. I tried to get the angles and time of day about the same on the pics.

Please note the pile of rags behind the speaker. About 4 hrs after this pic was taken, I learned first-hand about spontaneous combustion. Fortunately there wasn't any fire inside, but the rags got to smoldering pretty good. So, pay heed ye all, place dirty rags in a metal can or wash them out and dry them ouside! 9.gif

After%20oil.jpg

Here is the other speaker fully assembled. Good stuff!!!

Assembled%20&%20oiled%201.jpg

After assembling I just wanted to hear them quick, so I wired them up and rotated them a bit so I could hear a decent stereo image. Oh wow. Even not in their corners, they sounded wonderful.

But I couldn't leave them out in the room forever, so here they are tucked into their corners. Unfortunately I have baseboard heaters, so they are not tight in the corners, but for now, they sound just lovely.

K-horns%20placed.jpg

Family room is 16x24, with vaulted ceilings, so they can really open up and fill the room. I haven't figured out the sweet spot yet, but will soon.

Here are a couple of shots, complete with the new speakers and my version of "tubes."

Khorns%20&%20tubes.jpg

Khorns%20&%20tubes%202.jpg

Ok, so they don't put out any music, but still kinda fun.

I'll be working with them over the next several weeks to and really get to know them with familiar music. But for now, they sound and look fabulous.

Rob

P.S. What a great post to be #500 and earn my "Freak" rating!

I should probably publicly thank Edster for hosting these pics until I figure out FTP to Earthlink. And maybe I should also thank him for really giving me the K-horn bug when I visited last September. It only took 7 months, but here they are!

Randy-

You have a good point, but with the current position of the speakers, the sweet spot is deeper into the room than where the chairs are, but I move the chairs around to the sweet spot, but put them back after I'm done. In fact, I can almost get the sweet spot to be on the other side of the room, where the love seat is. Hmm, I just had an idea...Oh honey, where are you???9.gif

Jim-

Boiled linseed oil is available at HD, usually in with the paint strippers and thinners. I got a quart and still have about half the can left, even after doing these three times and the 6 OO HT speakers, but if you really want a lifetime supply, go for the gallon size. And being nuts about K-horns is a good thing.

Nice looking speakers indeed - and the sound is beyond words anyway LOL.

Interseting remark on the sweet spot though. Due to the shape of my room I have to (!) sit on the axis of the horns (i.e. looking straight into them). Has anybody else tried to put himself in that position?

Wolfram

dubai2000,

I strive to site exactly where the two speakers point, to within a gnat's *ss.

Some like to sit a foot or more behind the apex of the triangle, saying it gives the sound a chance to blend.

Humph. I hear the purest sounds when the speakers point straight at me, and it's easily repeatable. And desirable.

dubai2000,

PWK recommended that they be placed in a room size based on the "Golden Rule".

Typicall a room 27'X 16' X 10'. (or based on the same proportions)

The diaganal(?) of this room was 32', which is the lowest that the Khorn is supposed to go. This would allow the full propagation of the 32' wave in the room. The room size was great for his 3 channel stereo steup but a little wide for just 2 kornerhorns. Just 2 horns resulted in a "hole in the middle" sound field.

Real rule is to experiment though...

Paul Klipsch and Klipsch literature are not overly concerned with having an ideal sweet spot.

Looking through artto's Dope from Hope package, for instance, there is a 1989 diagram of one of Paul's living rooms. You can see he wanted a room full of sound. There isn't a seat in this particular living room of his that is anywhere near ideal. The couches are perpendicular to the speakers, not even facing them. If you sat on the far arm of one of the sofas, with your feet on the cushions, you'd be in about the right place!

In other words, real life and WAF are something to contend with, and PWK was no exception to this.

Also, in some early ads for Klipschorns, you'll see one placed next to a window, or a glass door, with stuff that could vibrate on top of them, etc. Real world, normal scenarios, that is, not set up for ideal conditions but nevertheless perfectly acceptable.

Klipsch literature pictured several recommended placements for "ideal" stereo geometry. Surprisingly enough, not all of them had the speakers all the way in the corners. But all the layouts have the speakers on the floor, against the same wall, and toed in about 45 degrees facing the listener.

Rob, those are beautiful! I wish I had spen the extra $$ and gotten finished ones instead of raw Birch I got...but hey, better raw birch than settling for something else I suppose.

I too sit looking directly at my horns, equidistant from both. I have an "L" shaped room and the only corners available (unless I put them in the bedroom...NOT!).

Clu/Mike-

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, they sound as sweet as they look. Now just have to find some sort of tube amplification for them so I can see what that is all about.

Andy-

The walnut finish is growing on my. My parents have all their speakers in walnut and it certainly looks nice. When I started my HT, I went with the OO as that was a better finish to match my decor. So, technically, I have been on the lookout for a pair of OO K-horns, with black grill cloth. But when these came available, how could I not take them home??? The cane grills really look sharp with the darker walnut wood. Since you got the birch, you could always stain them with some spectacular finish. But any pair of K-horns is better than no pair. 9.gif BTW, nice avitar. It's time for me to order my '03 Liberty coins.