It's a man's world.

Yeah...I turned 40 this past December, but my favorite rock is of the late 60's and through the 70's, up to about '85. After that, I don't know hardly any of these new groups anymore. I'm a warehouse manager at our Guitar Center, and all the music I hear from bands today is that industrial punk crap where the lead vocals howl and yell their lyrics...very satanic sounding if you ask me. Give me the classics, like Led Zep, AC/DC, Stones, Eric Clapton, Yes, Styx, Journey, Pink Floyd, Boston, ZZ Top, Kansas, Fleetwood Mac, Genesis, Dire Straits, Bryan Adams, and on to The Cure, U2, Depech Mode, Seal, The Cranberries, Dave Matthews Band, The Innocence Mission...et al.

As far as female audiophiles go, there isn't a whole lot of 'em here that I know of (cluless and georgie being the only ones I can think of right off the top of my head). My past girlfriends also weren't interested in audio, and couldn't understand my reasoning behind it. One of them was quite content just listening to a mono AM radio station playing Top 40...she had to go, you understand!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Garymd,I'm with ya,60's,70's,is 50% of my listening(mostly rock).m00n,you're on you're own with the hair band thing.I do like you're listing,ac/dc,Zepp,Rush etc.,no Pretty boy,Bon jovi,Winger for me.9.gif Some more recent bands are pretty good also,but not with the frequency of years past.IMHO.

----------------

On 5/21/2003 8:55:31 PM jt1stcav wrote:

Yeah...I turned 40 this past December,

----------------

Will turn 44 in June here.8.gif Having played trumpet for several years gave me a great appreciation for music. I enjoy just about everything but crap ... I mean rap, hip hop and twangy country.

When I listen to music I hear the melody, counter melody, harmony, counter harmony and so on. I listen to the drums laying down the beat, back beat and everything in between. Am actually able to hear it all now with my La Scalas.

Never understood why women aren't more into music. Not necessarily the equipment but the music itself.

Tony

I'm with you on the Hair Bands and 80s music Moon-my cd collection looks like it pays homage to the 80s.

Bands like Dokken/Ratt/Yngwie Malmstein/Accept/Babylon AD/Dio/Savatage//Twisted Sister/Lynch Mob/Metallica/Megadeth/Ten/Y&T/Vandenberg/and TNT are what get me going.

Whether it be power driven ballads or screamin' guitar solos I love it all.Being 36 years old (almost) I like some of the newer music as well but its still not in the same league of music 20 years ago.

Jeff

My wife and I were both really into music when we met in college (primarily Grateful Dead). We went to lots of shows and listened to lots of music, all kinds. As she's gotten older she doesn't seem to have the same appreciation for music while I still do. It's a shame IMO. We still go to concerts together but that seems like the only time she's interested. I don't like the twang either but I really like good bluegrass. That's where you'll find some of the world's best musicians IMHO.

----------------

On 5/21/2003 4:37:17 PM m00n wrote:

What can I say, I love toys. Always have always will.

----------------

Hey - like they say - The only difference between men and boys is the price of thier toys!

About the 80's music - Geez m00n! I cannot friggan believe how much we have in common! I love to crank up the 80's "big hair" when I can! I really have to take a vacation and head out your way sometime 1.gif. I'd love to meet you in person!

Also about the sucky music! I cannot agree with you anymore than 100% Yes, there is the occasional kick-butt song that I like that I hear on the radio, but most of it is soo inspired and boring! It just friggan sounds manufactured!

To get decent music nowadays, I find myself going to some really obscure stuff. How many of you heard of Hammer Fall, or Kamelot, or Symphony X? The power/prog metal is something that I have just fairly recently started to explore and my Lord - thier is some truly awesome stuff there! It is so different and so fresh. After spending some time listening to some of these CDs, and then having listen to the radio in my car - it just really showed how much the radio really sucks now-a-days!

Hell, I just heard an MP3 from a band called Eternity X! I had to get the CD (The Edge). Turned out the band had broken up, but fortunatly I found somebody selling the CD I wanted on half.com. The CD just arrived today - Holy crap - that is some friggan awesome music I found there! Damn shame they did break up - they certainly seem to be exhibiting some serious talent on this CD. I'll have to see if I can find some of thier other CD's. I think they put out something 5 or 6.

Also, yes, I also have a sizable collection of Styx, Yes, Asia, Rush, Pink Floyd, The Cars, and several more.

And to get back to the original topic. The only two that I know of that are female on here are Clueless and Georgie. If there are any other female posters on here - speak up! Audio does not have to be a "man only" passion - just like I know a few females that are into cars and/or motorcycles, which is often considered a "man only" realm also.

----------------

On 5/21/2003 9:41:02 PM garymd wrote:

Bev comes around once in a while also.

----------------

Oh, thats right - I forgot about her. I guess because she doesn't post as regularly as the others. I also would not be surprised if there are a number of females on here just lurking.

Gary - sorry for the mid life hit............

.....m00n I agreee with you on the music, its going down hill with -no taste in music, and too much mid rif showing...........must be my age.... Honestly thoufgh thats why i started listening to Classical music. For the pure sounds, and te beautiful melidoys . Plus no tunes ablut losing my dog, women and truck.........or listening to teeagwers whine about how lifet stinks..................i think you get my point..... (pleae excuse the typos..... cut my finger baddly with a headge trimmer today............. Peace too all.......

"How many bands these days can pack an arena? I bet I can count on 1 hand how many. I might even have some fingers left over. Back in the 60',70's and 80's, "A" yes, 1 single band, could pack the house and there were MANY of them. Today they have to get 451 bands to pack an arena. Why? Because todays rock simply sucks dockey dong."

The problem is you are looking in the wrong place. Radio/megalabel promoted music isn't it anymore, folks....if you want to find good music, you must look elsewhere. The internet for one, and the live concert stages....primarily.

Whether or not a band fills an arena has NEVER been a criteria in my book. Some of the best music out there occurs in much smaller venues and much more intimate envoronments which lend themselves to a better live experience. Just because 50,000 people don't go doesn't mean it's not worthwhile, and just because 50,000 people do go doesn't mean they are any good (see NSYNC). Don't restrict yourself to BigMegaCorp arena/shed for the music, think much smaller.

My favorite musicians currently are much smaller than the usual arena acts....too small to get major radio attention, and not "lowest common denominator" enough for the megalabels to sign them anyway. This (with some help from the internet) leads to musicians promoting themselves, allowing the artists true artistic freedom to write and perform as they wish. That's infinitely better, in my book.

The music is out there, you just have to look harder to find it. Once you do, you'll wonder why you relied on radio to feed you the latest music. The radio is far down the list of "how I find new music" - even for a rock and roll addict like me.

----------------

On 5/21/2003 9:45:37 PM dndphishin wrote:

My favorite musicians currently are much smaller than the usual arena acts....too small to get major radio attention, and not "lowest common denominator" enough for the megalabels to sign them anyway. This (with some help from the internet) leads to musicians promoting themselves, allowing the artists true artistic freedom to write and perform as they wish. That's infinitely better, in my book.

The music is out there, you just have to look harder to find it. Once you do, you'll wonder why you relied on radio to feed you the latest music. The radio is far down the list of "how I find new music" - even for a rock and roll addict like me.

Please share some of these newer artists with us that you like. I'm always looking for something new and exciting.

----------------

This is the wife, who just happens to know my husband (m00n's) password. You are right that not many women are into the audio/video thing. We are content with the ability to hear our movie/music, without the need to go deaf doing so. As for the car, I will admit to wanting more than stock stereo and speakers. When I don't have the kids -- which is another reason we don't need loud sound, by the way -- I do like to listen to my music a bit louder.

We really don't understand why men are so obsessed over sound. It must be the difference in wiring of the brain between men and women. That is not meant as an insult. It is proven that men's and women's brains are different. We like to decorate our homes, not add equipment to it. We like our yards to be pretty, not build something for it.

Don't worry about understanding us. We don't understand you, and I think it's meant to be that way. Life would be too boring if we understood each other.

You probably won't hear from me again. I'm not into the forum thing, but I saw the original post and it caught my attention.

Have fun, don't spend the family money, and keep it in perspective! Later, boys!

----------------

On 5/21/2003 9:59:46 PM m00n wrote:

This is the wife, who just happens to know my husband (m00n's) password. You are right that not many women are into the audio/video thing. We are content with the ability to hear our movie/music, without the need to go deaf doing so. As for the car, I will admit to wanting more than stock stereo and speakers. When I don't have the kids -- which is another reason we don't need loud sound, by the way -- I do like to listen to my music a bit louder.

----------------

Welcome Ms. m00n! No, I don't want to go deaf either while listening to my music, but I do want to hear more detail and clarity in the music that can only be accomplished by having good, high-quality speakers, like our beloved Klipsch, as well as the good quality electronics behind the speakers. There is one general rule of thumb that is followed here - Louder does not equal Better. I'd like to be able to enjoy my gear for a long time, and maintaining good hearing goes along ways towards that (after all, the most important "component" in all this is our very own ears - with out a good set of ears, the rest is just pointless and a waste of time, money and space).

I keep my volume levels within reason.

I guess the other part of the difference can be somewhat explained. Look what you said:

"We are content with the ability to hear our movie/music, without the need to go deaf doing so"

"We like to decorate our homes, not add equipment to it. We like our yards to be pretty, not build something for it.

Just like m00n said - you do ideed seem to be a very practical kind of lady. From my personal observations, it seems that many women are just like and want a simple practical solution without much fuss or complexity. Us guys just love to tinker and play with our stuff, and to get the biggest, baddest, coolest, thing we can get away with spending our money on.

For example - the women just want to "listen to the music" as you plainly stated, but for me, if I just wanted to listen to the music, I would have just gotten one of those $40 boom-boxes at Best Buy and be done with it. No, I cannot just "listen to the music", I got to really "experience it". To get the best possible experience, I keep tweaking my gear until I am truly satisfied with that experience - but that seems to be a never-ending mission for many of us - thus the obssion of constant tweaking and upgrading that goes on with the gear and speakers we have. Some of us may ultimatly decide that we can do no more without spending an impossible amount of money and leave it at that. Others, especially the more wealthy, may continue on until they either tire of it or pass away from this planet.

To add - the same thing goes with movies. If I just wanted to "watch the movie", I could have just gotten one of those cheapy, wally-world, blue-light special $50 DVD players and hooked it up directly to my TV. But no - I want to truly "experience" the movie, not just watch it. Of course, I could have also just gone to the local movie theater - but the shear convienice of having a really nice setup at home is almost worth it right there, for the simple fact that I can watch whatever, whenever I want on my own system instead of having to take whatever the movie house happens to be showing that week or month.

The same with cars - most women just want something to drive to work, to the store, to drop off/pickup the kids from school, sports practice, music lessons, what have yea. But the guys, they just don't want a mere car - that want something that will make a statement, something truly unique, something that is truly an experience and a joy to drive - thus all the tweaking and modding and so forth that goes on with the whole car enthiasts scene.

I guess this whole "guy thing" seem to have been epitomized by Tim Allen in that TV show "Tool Time", which most likely you have seen. He was always trying to take things to the extreme (and usually results in some disasterous outcome), and there is his wife, that simply want to be practical.

No offense taken from you and I hope there is no offense here either. You stated your perspective in all this and I wanted to state mine. It is nice to have you drop in every now and again and share us with what seems to be a pretty good respresentation of what the "other-half" of many of us thinks about all this.

Also, I have chatted many times with your husband and it seems that we have quite a few common interests. I would really like to meet the both of you sometime in the near future. I am hoping to get a chance to come out your way and make a visit to you and your husband.

LOL... it's amazing how a post about women's involvement in the audio world can go off on a tangent about 80 Hair bands ?! (ummm... I'm not pointing any fingers m00n ;)

Women in audio: I hope I don't offend anyone, but I believe the theories of some general significant evolutionary differences in males and females... and the enjoyment of audio would be directly related to one. Females are "multi-task" oriented while males tend to be "attentive single task"... and the theories seem to point to the evolutionary roles the male and female occupied; hunting (utmost concentration) -versus- child rearing (not miss anything happening to any of the offspring). My guess the appreciation for the subdue differences in the audio reproduction requires dedicating more senses to the listening experience than MOST women are willing to. An example of this would be the difference of a guy watching TV versus his girlfriend. Remember there are exceptions to every generalization.

Music from the 80's : Music changes but there have always been 1 hit wonders, manufactured music, music that pushes the envelope, bands which stand the test of time, etc... But come on guys... can't you see yourselves? You're worse than your parents were !! ... at the time didn't they think they knew the great music compared to what you were listening too ? Welcome to growing older, when you are no longer "in", no longer exchanging the records (CDs?) of that "hot new group" at school, etc... I think it's more a question of your current life-style than the fact that music isn't as "good" anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'm not shooting down the 80's bands (or any other generation) it's just that new music is different just as each previous generation has been.

Recent recordings: One positive thing is that the equipment cost of mixing and mastering an album has dropped and the ratio of good-vs-bad recordings has improved. Again, I'm not saying that there weren't any great recordings in the past or bad ones now ... it's just better on average. The part I can't figure is that given the availability of the hardware nowadays there are still WAY too many bad recordings slipping through.

Later...

Rob B

"It appears to me that women just aren't into audio as much as they are nest building."

Close

They have other buying habits,like clothing and beauty products.I hate shopping for clothing HATE IT.

Audio on the other hand...ah yes.Audio is audio and it takes the time and money it takes. 1.gif

Lets not open a can of worms here

----------------

On 5/21/2003 11:09:25 PM formica wrote:

But come on guys... can't you see yourselves? You're worse than your parents were !! ... at the time didn't they think they knew the great music compared to what you were listening too ? Welcome to growing older, when you are no longer "in", no longer exchanging the records (CDs?) of that "hot new group" at school, etc... I think it's more a question of your current life-style than the fact that music isn't as "good" anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'm not shooting down the 80's bands (or any other generation) it's just that new music is different just as each previous generation has been.

Later...

Rob B

----------------

I see your point... Very much I see it, but I guess here is where I am coming from. I still very much listen to Rock and Roll, I've never stopped. I just think that it is not as good. It is very rare that I even bother to buy CDs any longer because in most cases there is 1 mayyyyyybe 2 songs that I will like on a CD for any givin band. Sure there have been a few exceptions,

POD

I really like PODs sound.

Oh yeah... One of the best big hair bands of all time? Poisen... Oh yeah I love that band. Also forgot about White Lion. They were good too. I admit, some of the stuff I liked was crap, but it was good crap. 9.gif

Oh and thank gawd my wife behaved herself.4.gif I didn't let her on, she just seen a opportunity to make her voice heard while I was gone for a few minutes.

----------------

On 5/21/2003 5:58:16 PM Bill H. wrote:

m00n,

I am just like you in the lack of hair dept, so i got a laugh out of "
Give me my big hair glam bands of the 80's. "

----------------

Oh and Bill, is yours self induced hair loss, or el-natural 1.gif