Korato Amplification

korato

Korato company has been founded in 1987 in Belgrade, Yugoslavia. It was formed by a group of dedicated audiophiles and musiclovers with the intention to, for the first time in Yugoslavia, professionally develop a line of high quality audio power amplifiers and preamplifiers.The aim was to make them equally well built and goodsounding as the imported ones but costing a lot less. So, the Model ONE solid state class A power amplifier and Model TWO valve preamplifier were born. This amp combo was very well received in the local, and shortly after in the international press (Portugal, Austria and Germany). Audiophiles all over Yugoslavia and in the countries where Korato was sold (Austria, Germany, Italy, Portugal and Holland) agreed that Korato amplifiers offer the best value-for-money ratio. Today Korato Audio Group besides having its own program of power amplifiers and preamplifiers represents and distributes a number of world famous manufacturers of audio equipment. On March 1st 1996. Korato opened the first-ever, true audio shop in Yugoslavia where every music lover can find something for himself (from audio cables and connectors, drivers and speaker kits to top quality component and speakers). Korato, as ever, sticks to the rule of offering the highest possible quality at affordable prices. Inside the Korato shop a buyer (or a potential one) has the possibility to listen to various equipment in two listening rooms and, through non-stop demonstrations, find out for himself which combination suites his taste most. Our door is also always open if you need any advice on how to improve your hi-fi system or just for a pleasant conversation.

Anyone interested?

Please let us know!

How about some pictures and specifications? Do you have a U.S. Distributor? How would you handle sales and repairs if we bought via the post (mail)? I could be tempted by a moderate power Class A power amp for my La Scalas.

Welcome Korato!

To all forum members, let me make you aware that I invited this company to share information about their products and services because of the great review and recommendation I read on TNT-Audio.com and a personal recommendation from a reviewer at that site.

I believe we welcome the opportunity to explore new products and especially those with valves that seem so popular with our horns. I felt the opportunity for manufactures to speak direclty with us would be of interest.

To Korato I would like to apologize for not being the first to respond to your initial post and give you a warm welcome on behalf of the Klipsch forum...I've been at the Rangers game.

Although many of us are from the US and Canada we do have an international membership and I hope our Greek member will join us as I believe your firm has a stronger presence in Greece than in North America.

As way of introduction I have found the following sites helpful:

http://www.korato.com

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/korato_e.html

Their products are available direct from the manufacturer as they currently don't have a US distributor.

Perhaps one of our regional subforums will get an opportunity to test a product and collect multiple opinions. I'm looking for some electronics and whatever I buy I will certainly want to share with the DFW Forum to get additional opinions and hopefully comparitive impressions.

I hope we can jointly learn more about their products here on the Klipsch Forum and please join me and welcome our new friends from Yugoslavia.

Welcome to the Klipsch 2-channel forum!

Here is the pre-amp with Phono I've been looking at (due to a recommendation from Scott Faller at TNT-audio) in my hunt for options in the $1k territory:

TNT review: http://www.korato.com/index_e.htm

Eur 770 plus shipping to USA ( approx another Eur 170)

KVP 10

KVP 10 is an advaced Korato product. It has five line inputs of which the first becomes the phono input if you choose to buy the KVP 10 with the optional phono stage. Internally KVP 10 has two valves in the line section ( two ECC82/12AU7) and four valves in the optional phono section (four ECC83/12AX7). Internal wiring is VdH CS-18/C5 cable, has a Black Beauty Alps potentiometer, all of the connectors are gold plated with teflon insulation and signal capacitors are Hovland polypropylene. We use Spectra Dynamics anti resonant feet to block any unwanted acoustic feedback. KVP 10 has a separate power supply box with dual mono construction and valve voltage regulation (two ECL 82). Each channel is powered with it own 50VA toroid transformer. KVP 10 has no feedback. The phono section has passive RIAA equalization.

Inside look Description Valve preamplifier

Frequency responce 8 Hz - 110 kHz

Distortion 0.1%/ 0.15%

Gain 24 dB/ 46 dB

Output impedance 190 Ohms

Dimensions (H x W x D) 480x 65 x 300 mm

Dimensions supp. (H x W x D) 483 x 65 250 mm

Weight 10 kg

Some years ago I sold solid wood kitchen and dining room furniture produced in Slovenia ( part of what was then Checzoslovakia)Edit I should have said Yugoslavia -. If this company can meet the quality standards exhibited by the furniture makers I bought from their product will be very good indeed.

I am not suggesting that the fact that I got exceptionally good furniture from that country guarantees that electronics from that area will be especially good. I am however suggesting that Americans who automatically write off goods produced outside of the US as being second rate are foolish - Particularly when one considers that many so called "American Brands " are actually produced off-shore and further that much of the R&D behind "American" products is occurring outside the US.

Marksdad You make a point that you are a teacher. My question for you is :

Can you spell China Boys and Girls ?

Yes Billy Jim-Bob your daddy's job is being done by a nice man in Quiching Province and he is rolling out those router bits that Daddy would love to be able to afford at one hell of a clip. Wong Foo is earning about 2.00 a day making the bits that daddy now pays 8.00 for but that's fair I guess!

i guess that i forget that we are in an international community, and my point is that we ship our manufacturing to other countries, just so that they can be made cheaper, on the backs of a less fortunate economy, this forces people to woirk for far less than they are worth, with no safety, or health considerations. read where all those fine american made products really come from the ones that you pay top dollar for. for instance levi's jeans12.gif

"...my point is that we ship our manufacturing to other countries..."

It isn't our manufacturing -- it's their manufacturing. I don't see Cary Audio, Sonic Frontiers, etc. sending their manufacturing anywhere. Good products (from anywhere) simply raise the anty, drive competition, and create a stable and fair market. Please take your bantering to the General Forum -- if and when it ever comes back.

Maybe you should take the factory tour at the kr site? www.kraudio.com Oh yeah -- I see oodles of Americans lining up to do this work.

There would be no tube audio without the East.

So true, and inescapable! My new Klipsch ProMedia 2.1s may have been designed and engineered here in the good ol' U.S. of A., but guess what boys and girls, they're assembled in good ol' China! Years ago I may not have even considered purchasing anything made in China, Mexico, Yugoslavia, Russia, or Indonesia, but these days you don't have much of a choice. And reliability isn't an issue today like it was 30 to 50 years ago...many of today's electronics are built on foreign soil, and very well built as well. It's the very essence of doing business in a global community...either get over it, or do without! Think about that when you also buy your jeans and shirts, shoes and coats, TVs and microwaves. That's the way it goes.

Anyone care to share their impression on The KVP10 PH based on the specs and parts and other info from the web? It seems to be a great value at EUR 770 for pre and phono and able to compete with options like the new Cary preamps.

"...the pre-amp in particular remains the best of those I've reviewed on TNT (in my old system) and by a wide margin. "

-Geoff Husband, TNT Audio

Reminds me of an issue encountered by an American county government: They had a policy of buying American products and equipment and had a need for a tractor. They were faced with a choice of buying a John Deere made in a factory in Japan or a Kubota built in a factory in Tennessee, I think it was. Suddenly the differences are not so clear-cut. Funny thing is, I never did find out what they did.

Tom

"Reminds me of an issue encountered by an American county government: They had a policy of buying American products and equipment and had a need for a tractor. They were faced with a choice of buying a John Deere made in a factory in Japan or a Kubota built in a factory in Tennessee, I think it was. Suddenly the differences are not so clear-cut. Funny thing is, I never did find out what they did.

Tom"

LOL !

Life just keeps getting more complicated day by day!

For the last 4 years my wife and I have been driving rice-burners made in the U.S. I specifically asked that the Honda come from Ohio and my truck was made here in Tennessee. Previously, my American SUV was made in Windsor, Ontario.

Irony?

Wow! Did this thread get derailed! I invite a manufacturer to visit and the thread immediately goes off course.

Their products come recommended and I was hoping to get some feedback as to their fit w/Klipsch from those here that might be better at qualifing electronics than I.

Do you think Klipsch owners should be looking for a more "laid-back", "warm" pre-amp and amp (even within the tube technology segment) or would a strong performer with less effecient cone speakers also be a good fit for Klipsch? The Korato Anniversary electronics are reviewed as less forward and perhaps a better fit for the reviewers horn speakers (a more expensive brand than Klipsch) than the model 10 which was described as "forward" which is a word often associated with Klipsch speakers.

Welcome Korato - that's what I say. As someone in Greece I am unencumbered with the "not made over here" attitude that seems to be coming out of the woodwork in this thread (although my amps are Greek made as I think I may have mentioned from time to time).

Lets face it guys - the appearance of another amp manufacturer, from Belgrade this time, is hardly going to bankrupt the American economy - room for all and all that...

Now I am off to take a look at the products - although from the list of countries mentioned it doesnt seem that these are available here.

Looking for a distributor Korato???

Whoops- just noticed that they do now have a greek distributor, Nexus. I know that company so next time I am in the area I will try to get over and give the products a listen.

If there is anything noteworthy I will get back to you all and let you know.

Cheers