Any value to these old tubes?

Man Tony -- the list is almost endless.

If he doesn't want or need them -- just ask if you can have them. Then handle gently and compile a list of what you have. Whatever you do -- don't give any away or sell for cheap until what you know you have. These are all vintage tubes.

You also need to know that many tubes that are now used for audio were originally used for different things. The 6SN7 for example was originally used in televisions -- but is now used in preamps. The 6922 was widely used in medical equipment -- now used in preamps as well.

----------------

On 5/24/2003 8:45:29 PM DeanG wrote:

If he doesn't want or need them -- just ask if you can have them. The 6SN7 for example was originally used in televisions -- but is now used in preamps.

----------------

He won't give them away. I think I saw a couple 6SN7 tubes in the box. Will get a list together.

Tony

----------------

On 5/24/2003 9:24:28 PM 350 Nova SS wrote:

As far as audio tubes, look for the following:

----------------

Thanks for this list Ryan. Going to get together with him next Thursday and go through the box. He'll be out of town until then.

Tony

Take a shot of the tube box ends close enough for us to read them. That way, it'll be like a treasure hunt for us! Or, make it slightly fuzzy and frustrate the hell out of us...

fini

That appears to be the kit of a TV repair man. While there might be a few tubes in there that you can use, most will probably be of little value. I have a similar pile that came with an old tester which I paid about $10 for.

I like the kit, though ... Would be nice for the workbench :)

• 4 months later...

Craig- I was thinking the same thing.

I have a few of these rapairmans caddys.

They are very nice for keeping your prize collection in.

Sylvania and GE made quite of few of them...back in the day.

There are a couple of things to consider when buying a box like that.

1. What's on the label isn't nessisarily what's in the box.

Many times when a repairman was done servicing a peice, he would slip the old/weak tube into the replacement box.

Some would make a mark or some notation on the box, itself, for further reference.

I've found Mullards in RCA boxes before.

Strange....they all tested great. :)

Bottom line.

It pays to check before buying.

2. Not too many pairs are found in thses old boxes.

Many times a repairman would only stock singles of various tubes.

This is probably due to the fact that most tubes don't burn out simultaneously. (sp?)

Plus, they could carry a larger variety on them and be prepared for whatever.

Pairs are really nice to have in our stereo world.

But, singles are good to.

Especially, 12ax7s.

They are and will always be hot. IMO

Regards,

John.

• 3 weeks later...

Neat old NOS tubes from an estate sale. What are they, and what are they good for? I don't recognize them, but wonder if there is something cool I can make from these Western Electric 350B old timers. Never heard anyone mention they had amps or anything that use them, but I remember mdeneen saying many of these old triode tubes act pretty much the same. Is there some way I could push pull all dozen of these things in triode or double up with them in a homemade SET. Mostly I think they look cool. (fini, you ever get that tube checker calibrated?).

Actually I do not know what the heck these things are, maybe they are not old triodes although they look like the kind of things I used to see in the back of those really old radio consoles, but unlike the similar looking old four prong dealy-bobs they have the little black tail on the bottom, and look like they would fit in an oxtail socket.

Maybe they are short-wave radio tubes, they guy was an eccentric collector and I think he was a ham. People were scooping up all kinds of weird stuff. There were other big transmitter type tubes...I think....maybe I should go back.....

Looking forward to soldering up some more interesting fabrications this winter. Ok...we're all set up now. Lets knock em over.......

c&s