so crazy

Dale W

basement 001.jpg

My latest project is a basement addition of 24 x 20 as a new theater room and 24 x 20 addition on my living room to house my k horns and tube amps.

This weekend i dug the hole formed up and poured the footing and started forming the walls . hopefully i'll finish in time to pour the walls this weekend.

post-10527-13819247524508_thumb.jpg

I sometimes question my owm sanity ???

I've out grown my existing theater room 16 x18 plus the new tube gear has no home. So in my questionable wisdom it's time to build more rooms !!!!!!!!!

The neet thing about the new basement theather room is it's sunken 4 feet deeper than the rest of my basement plus it will have 9' walls.

The addition to the living room upstairs will be the new home for my k-horns and tube gear.

I was going to use the $ from this project for a front projection screen but realized i lacked the space.

That basement is 20X24? Wow, it just doesn't look it. How are you going to deal with bass frequencies? If I were to do this, and this is only what "I" would be tempted to do would be to double up the walls. If not, it would seem as though those bass frequencies will bounce right back off those concrete walls and come back into your room. I am not trying to make myself sound like I am some authority on this because I am not, but I have done a lot of reading subject when I was trying to figure out what to do with my room.

Just me 2 cents1.gif

Oh and btw, that is going to be a very nice room!

----------------

On 5/29/2003 10:06:16 AM m00n wrote:

How are you going to deal with bass frequencies? If I were to do this, and this is only what "I" would be tempted to do would be to double up the walls. If not, it would seem as though those bass frequencies will bounce right back off those concrete walls and come back into your room.

----------------

Some simple sound absorbing panels would do the trick. Even better, and cheaper, cover the walls, as much as you can, with egg crate foam, then put heavy drapes over that. works like a charm. for me at least 1.gif

Justin, I think that would be fine in a house our building where the walls were not concrete, but becuase they are, I am curious to know if that would keep the low frequency sound waves from hitting the concrete and bouncing back into the room.

m00n... I think Dale is in Canada... which basically means he will build a wood/gypse insulated wall inside the concrete foundation (it will be a double wall).

Commun practice up here, even for "unfinished" basements in new homes.

Justin. You so crazy.2.gif I did the egg carton sound proofing routine once in a studio years ago. We covered the walls, doors and ceilings with the stuff and put in the thickest carpet we could afford. That room would do something to your head as soon as you walked in and heard the door suck itself shut tight behind you. It was like submerging yourself in a well-lit isolation tank. It was good for recording but too dead for listening. I could almost feel the brain cells fall out of my head for lack of sonic pressure. Hmmm. Maybe thats what happened to me?Har Har Har He He He .Which way did they go George? Which way did they go? Look! A baby recording engineer! 9.gif

Moon: The frost line is 8 feet here . So all basements are made out of concrete.

The inside walls will be 2x6 walls with gyprock or sheetrock as you guys call it.

The walls will then be covered in 4x8 sheets of soundproofing fiberglass panels wrapped in fabric.

This will be a " pro " sound room when done. Totaly sound proof and sound dead.

At the volume levels i deal with , i need a room that everything will absorb and nothing reflect

Uh, m00n, maybe those gooders belong to a younger male...just a thought, of course...I could be wrong, eh?9.gif

This new addition will be the cat's meow when completed. Bet your HT will sound fabulous when completed.

Justin,

Most foam, like egg crate foam or matress pad foam, isn't good for controlling bass frequencies at all. Plus, it isn't the least bit fire retardant. I'm thinking of a recent nightclub fire, that wasn't using something like Auralex or Sonex acoustic foam. Two good brands BTW, if you like the foam look.

Dale,

Are you talking about those hard fiberglass panels, with all sizes of fiber in them? They are lot weigh a lot, but they really work.

You sure need the six inches of insulation inside the concrete walls. While living outside of Madison, WI, we had just the concrete walls in the basement. Only halfway in the ground as well. Just about unuseable in the winter. We've gotten smarter since then, and moved south.

Better get that finished within the next couple of weeks, before the early snows hit. 10.gif

Very neat stuff.

Marvel

MOON: Count the forms, there 4 feet wide. A 2 footer starts at the wall and the end corner is a 2 footer with 5 4 footers in between,thats 24 feet long .

My cousin is a interior design mechanic and he custom manufatures sound panels for theaters and concert halls as well as gyms and hockey rinks. He is going to hand build me the panels for the walls.

I'm going to make this room as vibration free as possible and use clear span TGI'S as floor joists. ( engineered floor joists if you don't know what tgi is)

The walls are 8 feet formed up right now but i just came in from working on the 12 inch mud sill that will sit on top of the forms so when i pour the concrete i'll end up with a 9' wall.

----------------

On 5/29/2003 2:16:17 PM cluless wrote:

Dale -

Keep us updated with new pics. You seem to have solved one of my minor problems. Thank You!Thank You! Thank You!

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/base.jpg">

----------------

Well, darn it Clueless! Now look what you done! How do you expect him to finish that with those crazy giraffes in the way? 9.gif Also, didn't you know that snow and giraffes don't mix? What is going to happen when winter comes around up there? 11.gif