Survey - what do you plan next?

Colin

Well,my mother in law is about to upgrade.And

at 72 she says she wants somthing that she can HEAR.She's going for the Sony 32" Wega as

above along with the(cough!)Bose Lifestyle 25

SeriesII.Of course I immediately suggested the Klipsch Reference Series with a 15" Klipsch sub,a Denon 3300,and a Sony DVD player for roughly the same price($2500)."I DON'T WANT ALL THOSE SPEAKERS IN MY HOUSE" was the reply(boy,women!).So now I'm looking for something similiar to the Blose for less wasted dollars.Do any of you fellas know anything about the Sony DAV-S300 DVD/STR system? Does it have the output to fill a 16'

X24'room.Any help is appreciated.

Keith

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

keith, how bout some of them smaller klipsch & a 10" sub? just don't let her get bose (i know you'll try) biggrin.gif

glad to see she knows her tubes. those top line wega's have like 15WX2 by themselves.

i'm eyeing that top 27" sony wega kv.

scratch above on the klf-30 interference. found it's that 25' s-video cable picking up interference after my recent rewiring job.

is there a max length for an s-vid cable? maybe should just go w/ a long composite.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster Standard Cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires/Bananas

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (power amp for RF-3)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd player

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Next on the list is probably an RC-3 to replace my junk sony center channel and go with my RF3's I just bought. After that, probably a new TV smile.gif

Have fun.

Chris

------------------

Sony STR-DE935 Reciever

Sony S530D DVD Player

Kenwood 205 CD Player

RF3's Front

Energy Surrounds

Cheap Sony Center Channel

KSW-10(2)

Boom badda bang

Next on the list is probably an RC-3 to replace my junk sony center channel and go with my RF3's I just bought. After that, probably a new TV smile.gif

Have fun.

Chris

------------------

Sony STR-DE935 Reciever

Sony S530D DVD Player

Kenwood 205 CD Player

RF3's Front

Energy Surrounds

Cheap Sony Center Channel

KSW-10(2)

Boom badda bang

First: Build false coner for my one floating K-horn...then...

Second: A good tubed Preamp (I have been trying to find something in the sub $1k range, but without sucess so I will save up and see if there is something in the $2-3k range)....then...

Third: a Sony SACD 777ES player

Fourth(only if one does not get the Bass up to where I want it): a pair of HSU subs, or something that can keep up wiht the K-horns AND go down to the mid to low 20´s with DBs!

Fifth: build out a HT system in my Family room...Klipshc based? not sure yet, I do have the RB-5s as a starting point...

regards, tony

my next addition

clean and simple: Klipschorns

in rosewood if you please!

will look awesome in either corner of the

wall that has the fireplace in our new house

if they still sound as they did in 82 when

i bought my cornwalls. no question !

BTW...i never considered the cornwall to be

a compromise,..just something different.

each system has it's + & -.

and oh yea,..still trying to find a last

genration H/K cit 16a..in black...for the

horns..

that's it...that's all

rob

My LaScala's were hijacked to our small non- profit movie theatre. We have another LaScala that we bought used so we have the stage speakers taken care of, but, we need some Heresy's or comprable for surrounds- something like six would be perfect. Right now we have a couple of Mackie srm 450's- one in each rear corner. It would be nice to be able to afford to do it right, with surrounds along the side walls though. So I hope our next upgrade will be surrounds.

Very simple needs: I only want the best.

1. Sony VPL-W10HT Projector...This thing is what I need in my totally finished, totally dark basement. Both of my current Sony and Mitsu 35 inchers only have S-video, no component inputs. Just when I thought I had a decent TV along comes HD and component inputs

2. Ok, so I would settle for a new 16:9 HDTV from Pioneer, Mitsubishi or Toshiba

3. I'm dying to order a couple of SVS subs

That oughta cover me for this year.

I plan to make put new drivers in a pair of Altec Lansing spekaers and use them for a second system, possibly for rears someday on a 6 channel set-up, other than that I am looking for low cost significant improvements that can enhance the illusion ...

• 2 weeks later...

A Refridgerator - long story - posted elsewhere so dont ask.

On the other hand Boa got me thinking about a complete surround system in a separate room which I will have to build. Unless I move the dogs out of the kennel....

Oh yes and about 10 feet from a Sony 32 inch 100 Hz flat Wega TV with a number longer than most serial numbers. Its got VGA input, dolby surround, and loads of other goodies I never use. It also has the ugliest remote I have ever seen.

Well it all depends on the new reference's it the 7's do the trick then I'll unload the 30's (Horned they are NOT for sale!) if the 7's don't do it then I'll dispatch the 8.5's and hope that my local Sound Advice has one of those buy on get one free of half off sales to get rid of KLF line! then another set of 30's and I'll be in business now once the house is built the media room is complete but what in earth will I do to with that bonus room above the garage?

------------------

Thanks J

KLF 30 Mains

C7 Center

8.5 rears

Yamaha RX-V995

Toshiba SD-1600 DVD

Pioneer CLD-S201 LD

Pioneer PD-M53 CD

Sony 32 inch TV

no subs till house built

Scratch my previous request for the Sony VP-WL10HT projector........

I'll take the new VP-WL11HT coming out this summer.

------------------

My main Klipsch system:

KLF-30's Bi-wired

KLF-C7

KSP-S6's

KSW-15 Front Sub

KSW-100 Rear Sub

Monster cable 14 gauge in-wall cable

Niles wall plates

Marantz SR-8000

Toshiba SD-4205 5 DVD changer

Pioneer PDF-1007 301-CD changer

Mitsubishi 35"

Mitsubishi VCR

Pioneer VSX-608 Multi-room amp for Outdoor deck

Polk All-weather AW2's deck speakers

Niles in-wall volume controls

Fridge full of beer and plenty of Don Julio, Jagermeister and Jim Beam

I'm in the "heavy" decision mode right now, just spent over 10K on my audio\video gear. Also, in the process of deliberating whether to get my Hersey's now for 6.1(was going to get them in 02 and stay 5.1 till then), but am now at a crossroad. I recently obtained two K-77-M tweeters out of a pair of old Khorns at a flea market for $20 and they work fine(don't think the vendor knew what they had). My local Dealer offered me his last KLFC7 at $250(CDN)as he know's I have one already and that I want to go 6.1. I am only a novice, but was thinking of modifying the C7's for 3 way instead of 2 way. I would have my Khorns (large horn), La Scala's(medium horn) and if I rig up the C7's I would have a "small" horn set up.

Has anyone ever done this type of modification with a C7? Any of you think I'm nuts to try this? Also, what type of crossover would be a good recommendation? I tried to find parts on the site but came up empty.

Last but least will be a killer sub. I'm seriously looking at the bagend Infra 18(found a dealer here to my surprise) or just wait and see what the new RSW15 will be like, kind of on the poor farm for now!

Khorns(93)

La Scala's(August Biggrin.gif )

KLFC7(01)

Adcom ACE-515 Enhancer

Marantz SR18EX A\V Receiver

2-Marantz MA700 mono blocks(Khorns)

Marantz DV3100 DVD

Marantz MV5100 S-VHS hifi

Marantz CD4050 dual casette

Marantz DR4160 3 disk carousel with single tray CDR

Toshiba 50HX70 HDTV

DVDO Iscan V2

all Monster speaker\component cables

This message has been edited by boomer9911 on 05-27-2001 at 02:35 AM

I am planning on adding two more KLF30s and a sub. the 30s will replace my rear surrounds (currently KG 3.5s). Other than that I am pretty much set. I am subscribing to the six identical mains speaker theory for 6.1/7.1. I felt I just couldn't let HornEd be the only guy with a KLF30 six-pak.

------------------

KLF-30 mains

KLF-C7 center

KLF-30 surrounds

KG -3.5 rear effects

KSW200 subwoofer

Denon AVR5800

Pioneer Elite DV-09

Pioneer Elite PD-F19

RCA DTC1000

Sony Playstation 2

Denon MD1000

Vidikron Epoch D-600

Vutec 100" 4:3 1.5 gain

Go for it ColaBear! cwm41.gif

Personally, I have tried 6.1 and 7.1 and prefer 6.1 in my size HT. Using six identical speakers (particularly KLF 30's) brings rewards beyond expectations. Next, I expect to revamp the sub-woofers to better support the KLF 30 sixpack. Oh, well, it is something to do while waiting the debut of the next set of Klipsch "necessities of life." HornEd

------------------

"30 Something 6.1 Herd"

KLF 30 Mains

KLF 30 Mod Center

KLF 30 Mod Surrounds

KLF 30 Rear Effects

SB-2 Front Effects

Subs: KSW-15 + 3 KSW-12's

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65"

Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and more...

... UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

I've got tube fever! I am in the process of modifying a Dynaco St-70, and my next thing is gonna be another ST-70! Somewhere out on the web is a way to convert the Stereo 70 into a mono 70 watt amp, and once both amps are sufficiently rebuilt, I'll slap that mod onto both of them, and have 140 watts of tube heaven! Then I gotta decide what's the best compliment to my KLF 30s for surrounds. I have a Denon AV amp for HT and for parties, and it has the "5 Channel Stereo" feature, which sends mono to my C7, and then the same signal goes to the surrounds as goes in the fronts. Right now, I'm using P.O.S. Model Ones for my surrounds! They're little JVC full range boxes salvaged from a dead mini stereo system. They work fine, but they're still junk. Perhaps a pair of used Heresy's would do the trick...