Is R-7 worth the money?

bulletpointz

So my wife and I are getting ourselves an early Christmas present. We are will be purchasing a new HT setup a projector and screen. I thought I was set on purchasing the RF-35,RS-35,and RC-35 setup but before I do I was hoping I could get some opinions on whether or not I should fork out twice as much money for the RF-7s or R-5s. I dont know if my wallet can handle the RF-7s price tag but if the RF-5s are much better then the RF-35s I would be tempted to shell out the extra money. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

I can't speak from experiance with your current questions, but I upgraded from the RF3-IIs to the RF7s, though the RF3s are nice, the RF7s are simply awesome! If you want my opinion... Save for a while longer if you have to but get the RF7s. Also don't forget, you should not be paying list price for them. I got a single RF7 for $800.00 not long ago.

I looked at the new Klipsch and bought all used Heritage because there was a debate about which was better RF7 or Cornwalls and at half the price and at least as many fans thinking they were better I went with the Cornwalls.

$1600 buys 2 Cornwalls PLUS 4 Heresys.

There are minuses:

* Cornwalls are twice as wide or more as RF7 (although they are thin and can go in CORNers or against WALLS.

* They are vintage looking...some hate them...I love the looks of mine

* No dipoles, etc. for surround

* No dedicated center (other than Cornwall II's w/Academy which is very hard to find and premium priced). Heresy is a strong performer but I have mine inverted on top of the TV which many would not like in a family room. You can use the KLF-C7 but loose some timbre matching.

Here is another option:

* buy just a pair of RF7's and watch in stereo until you can buy the rest.

OR:

* look to see if there are any deals used on RF7.

OR:

* pay for the complete 7 package and start with a $400 receiver.

NOTE: outlaw has a new $600 sub w/help from Mr. Hsu coming that seems very promising. OR maby the RF7 deal is complete w/Sub

if you have the time and patience go corns, rf 7's cant be beat, but corns have the heritage voice. there is a quality to heritage that just cant be found in reference. 3's are good as well, but not in the same class as corns or 7's and it isnt a little difference either, my example; i purchased 2 rf 5's, 2 rf 3's, 1 rc 7, 1ksw 12, now my son has the best ht-gaming system in his school, my equipment is what is in my sig12.gif

No matter what you choose, get as much speaker as your budget will allow. No purchase will change the sound of your system more than the speakers, so get the best you can muster here. If you buy speakers that are less than you will truly be happy with, you will be right back here doing it all over again...and sooner than you think.

If you resist the urge to do this all at once, you will find that you will be much happier with your purchase, and be less likely to upgrade. If you end up with Cornwalls or larger in the Heritage line, or RF-7's, you will not be upgrading these anytime soon - in fact, you may have them for a lifetime.

Members on this board that own the big Klipsch never upgrade the speakers, they upgrade everything else. I've witnessed members on this forum go through a slew of amps, preamps, subs, crossovers and sources....but the speakers always stay. The Klipsch will sound as good as the gear you hook up to them.

As to what is better?? That's a matter of preference. I fall into the Heritage camp, not only because I like the sound, but the bang for the buck on used Heritage is unparallelled. No better sound for the dollar can be had anywhere!

All I can tell you is, for your choice of Klipsch speaker, THINK BIG9.gif

I have auditioned the RF-5, the RF-3 II, and the RF-35 very recently. The 5s are worth the money, which is what most people will tell you. My specific complaint is that I could hear some distortion in the 3s with high volume and moderate bass. They RF-35s can fill a decent sized room though, so if you have a subwoofer and bass managment you'd be fine with those too.

I just listened to the RF-35's, the RF-5's, and in another room, the RF-7's. It could have had something to do with the placement, but the RF-35's seemed boomy. The woofers didn't match well with the tweeter, and overpowered it. The RF-5's were very smoooooooth, and were the best sounding speakers that we heard that day. I wish that we could have compared the RF-5's directly to the RF-7's, but they were in a different room, with a different amp, and were tested with different music. The RF-7's sounded good, but they didn't blow us away like I thought that they would. For my money, the RF-5's were the clear winner. The RF-7s probably would go much louder and deeper, but I've got a good subwoofer and like a smooth midrange, and the RF-5's delivered that.

I got to listen to the RF-3's, '5, and '7s in the showroom at the dealer side-by-side-by-side using a Denon AVR3802 (as I have - before the Klipsch got pulled 7.gif). Between the RF-3 and RF-5, I found the difference to be minimal, but still noticable. The RF-5s did indeed have a slightly better mid-range and slightly better bass response. Now going from the RF-3s to the RF-7s. Definitly a difference. I found the overall detail and clarity to be better than the RF-3s and even the RF-5s. I have also done a side-by-side listening test in my own living room between the RF-3s and the RF-7s and again, I found the RF-7s to be that much better. I currently have both RF-5s and RF-7s in my setup, but I had not done a side-by-side listening test in my own setup. I'll do that tonight and post back here what I found.

The detail and clarity of the RF-7s, in my opinion and from my own listening tests, I found to be much superior to RF-3s. It was a tough decision that I had to make myself if I wanted to foot the extra $$$ for the RF-7s over the RF-3s. I ended up biting the bullet, otherwise, it would have been one of those things that would have kept bothering me. In the end, I am glad I did - I am still amazed to this day, over a year later, to the quality of these speakers in how they sound. I'll even put them up agains some Martin-Logans, which I have, and still found I liked the sound of the RF-7s better.

To cut to the chase - if you can afford it - definity go with the RF-7s. Of course, as some have mentioned, there is the route of going used and finding some Cornwalls or the like. If I could do it over, I would probably do that myself. I still have plans to eventually dig up a pair of Cornwalls or LaScalas for two-channel stereo listening. But still, whether you went with the RF-7s or a used pair of Cornwalls, you will not be going wrong.

Recently bought the RF7's and highly recomend them. I have the Heresy IIs as well. I prefer the RF7s, but this isn't a fair comparison as the heresy's weren't designed for significant bass. At higher volume, I definately prefer the RF7.

I did listen to RF7 and RF5 side by side, the 7's seemed more effortless, but I did feel that I had to be further back to appreciate this more. If you have a larger room - 7's are the way to go.

Price - we have 2 authorized dealers here. Both were willing to sell at $1500 - $1600 for pair. One took an offer for $1350 in the box because they were going to file for bancruptcy. $1500 - $1600 should be obtainable if you have more than 1 dealer, given this economy...

----------------

On 6/12/2003 12:51:16 PM skonopa wrote:

I got to listen to the RF-3's, '5, and '7s in the showroom at the dealer side-by-side-by-side using a Denon AVR3802 (as I have - before the Klipsch got pulled
7.gif
). Between the RF-3 and RF-5, I found the difference to be minimal, but still noticable. The RF-5s did indeed have a slightly better mid-range and slightly better bass response.

----------------

Side by side I have demoed the RF-5 and RF-3 (the 7 was always in a different room). While the RF-5's definatly did sound better than the RF-3's, I am not sure if the price difference would have been worth it to me. If I wanted more than the RF-3's, I would go for the 7's. Also, it seemed to me that the difference between the 3's and 5's was in the upper end. They actually use the exact same woofers as the RF-3 (The RC-7 uses these woofers too). The RF-5 does have a different cross-over, with a different 1" tweeter and a bigger 8" horn.

Anyways, try and compare the two side by side and get what you can afford. They are both excellent speakers and I am sure you will be happy with your purchase.

Maybe something else you could look at is the Legend line. You can find a pair of KLF-20's on Ebay for around 6-800 dollars. Just my opion I think there wonderful speakers. you can get the matching center for around $300 and it is also a beast of a center.