Opinion: Movies to show off your system

damonrpayne

Terminator 2 is a sure-fire eyebrow-raiser.

The Star Wars DVDs are good, but I find them, both visually and sound-wise, to be a bit too cluttered and "busy."

Saving Private Ryan (although most of the scenes are so moving and graphic that your viewers' attention may shift from your audio system to the horrors of WWII in a flash)

Jurassic Park is a winner.

The Harry Potter movies do the job.

Minority Report won't let you down.

The Mummy has some good scenes.

The Cell works.

Titanic is strong for video and audio.

Those are just a few of my favourites.

Well, I showed off my WEGA/Onkyo/Synergy HT rig to a buddy just the other day and here's what I used:

(don't laugh) "Lilo & Stitch" - the final spaceship chase scene is mixed exceptionally well with some of the most powerful and seamless pans I've ever heard. When Stitch rides the rocketing gas truck up towards the bad guys' ship you can't help but yell "Yippee" right along with him. My buddy wanted to watch the whole movie from the start it was so good (he uses a Playstation hooked up to a TV to watch his DVDs...)

"Heat" - the bank heist scene is still the most intense 12 minutes in my entire DVD collection. My buddy liked how you could hear every piece of brass hitting the street. I like how the roaring automatic weapons fire echoes off the man-made canyon of surrounding buildings.

"Ronin" - Either one of the two long car chases makes a fine demo - we watched both. The Paris tunnels footage sounds great.

"Led Zeppelin DVD" - Just pop Disc One in, select DTS before the first song starts, and strap in for the best looking and best sounding concert DVD of all time. The band is pretty good too!

Well I like star ship troopers, also black hawk down,gone in 60seconds both just the part when he gets in the mustang ( i hate ford) turn up the bass and shake the house, galditator thats a great one 6.1 dts you cant beat that top gun another good one desperado just for the bullets that all i can think of now.

James

The DVD's that I have that I find myself showing off the most with include:

01 :: The Lord of the Rings:Fellowship of the Ring - DTS Version

02 :: The Matrix

03 :: T2 - DTS Version

04 :: Heat - I agree with Kirk, the bank heist scene is incredible

05 :: Star Wars Episode 1 - Pod Racing scene

06 :: ****** - Superbit DTS Version

07 :: Sarah Brightman La Luna Concert - DTS Version

08 :: Moby - Megamix Play DVD

09 :: Toy Story 2 - opening scene with Buzz's encounter with Zurg

10 :: Eagles - Hell Freezes Over - DTS Version

11 :: Jurassic Park III - DTS Version

Just to name a few ...

----------------

On 6/15/2003 5:07:20 PM JMON wrote:

Monsters Inc.

----------------

I like the part when Boo laughs for the first time and the blow the power out in the city... I think it's scene 13 ... it really uses the multi-channels well... 1.gif

Rob

The best clip to show off your system is chapter 7 of We Were Soldiers. I have never seen a more intense scene in any film, but you have to becareful as it will kill lesser systems. You will know very quickly how good of a system you have by watching this chapter. If your system crap it will blow up, kiss your gear goodbye.

Hello there,

Of course The Matrix, Star Wars Episodes, Gladdiator, Saving Private Ryan and U-571 would all top the list.

But, I like To add any of the current releases from the Pixar & Disney Camps (Monsters Inc, Ants, Bugs Life, Dinosaur, Toy Story 1&2 and Spy Kids 1&2 etc...).

My Vote would also goto: Drumroll Please.........................................................................................................................................................

Starship Troopers

This movie just sound good period. Plenty of the efx that all the "Big Name" Movies has. Even on My Modest set-up.

I think It belongs up there with the Toy Story movies at making any system sound their best.

I rate it:

**.5 to *** for movie

**** for video quality

****.5 for audio

Enjoy,

Jalen

Hey guys I have something you guys can use.

Demo discs. Theyre always quick and sweet people dont get bored

and they pic some awesome clips.

The Jurasic Park Trailer in DTS is AMAZING!(SURROUND SPEAKERS WITH SOME GOOD BASS ARE GREAT HERE!!)

So is the Haunting's trailer..

BY THE WAY!!! Lord of the rings the two towers will be DTS ES.

YAY

Emilio

----------------

On 6/18/2003 3:23:38 PM damonrpayne wrote:

cyclonecj - Sweet setup, nice pictures! Nice site, I don't have pics on mine yet.

----------------

Thanks... The main theater picture page was done with EZCD creator... just give it the pics & it does the rest. Really not much to it. Another one I use is powertoys for Windows XP. I used powertoys for my jet ski & lake pictures.

I am always amazed when someone comments like this. I work at a school that has a very high level digital arts lab.... They make my page look like a total amateur project (which it is!)