Played with a Subaru WRX STi and test drove a WRX.

kenratboy

AH yes! The WRX is a fine vehicle indeed and it's STi counterpart is even more perfect.

Although all the critics are giving props to the EVO VII over the STi (by a narrow margin), I still prefer the looks of the STi. ----> The EVO just doesn't look right to me. I think they need to reduce the height (just my opinion. I don't know how that will change the car's aerodynamics).

Anyway. . . You're a good man

----------------

On 7/1/2003 10:09:23 PM kenratboy wrote:

Geez, $24,000 for a WRX doesn't seem bad, very nice car for the money. I want one. Sounds like a good car to get when I get out of college.

The STi was amazing, I wish I could have driven it, but that was out of the question.

----------------

I was actually seriously considering getting the WRX STi, especially considering that I can a serious discount on Subaru cars through being on the Ski Patrol. Unfortunatly, there are no friggan Subaru dealerships in this area! 6.gif Well, I guess Woodbridge is not to terribly far away.

EDIT - Awww, crap - the WRX STi is not eligable under the Subaru VIP program. There goes that plan 6.gif. Still would like to check out the regular WRX. I like the styling of those myself.

STI has MAJOR issues. Recall talk is already be bouncing around. My friend works for a very large tuner company. They have a srt4, evo 8, and STI, and he says the STI is the bottom of the list. The evo is badass. The STI is ready to explode from the factory. You can hear it knocking whenever you floor it. On his dyno, the HP would vary wildly from run to run. Overall, STI is nothing but disappointments.

----------------

On 7/2/2003 1:36:45 AM Unreal wrote:

STI has MAJOR issues. Recall talk is already be bouncing around. My friend works for a very large tuner company. They have a srt4, evo 8, and STI, and he says the STI is the bottom of the list. The evo is badass. The STI is ready to explode from the factory. You can hear it knocking whenever you floor it. On his dyno, the HP would vary wildly from run to run. Overall, STI is nothing but disappointments.
----------------

What I have heard is that the cars want at least 93 octane (not 93, but above 93) and that a ECU job could fix it, BUT...that would reduce the HP.

Oh well, not my problem!!! 2.gif

Most of the sports compact tuner cars need to lose those picnic tables, called rear wings.

At the street legal speeds we drive, the downforce added by these wings is negligible.

Also, with GPS tracking now coming into the law enforcement community, unless owners of these cars are using them for Pro Solo (autocrossing), or drag strip duty, there are not many places to exercise/use any of these cars' potential on the street.

I have a friend with a WRX, and I'd look at that car before any of the others.

Mitsubishi does not have a great reliability/durability record with turbo motors...See the Esclipse. Look out on the 4 wheel/all wheel drivetrain components which are $$$ to fix.

Complexity everywhere on these cars. I'd be seriously pondering the complexity issues and the cost to repair these cars before commiting. Dealerships will be reluctant to replace drivetrain / or other systems under warranty, if the cars show signs of being used hard. Then ask yourself if you can properly diagnose, and repair these machines, without spending big repair $$$, once warranty claims are not honored by dealerships. Can get very pricey...

How highly stressed are these 4 cylinder powerplants, given their bore/stroke dimensions/boost specs? Are the engines using forged components throughout?

How peaky are the drivetrains in stop-and-go driving? Where is the torque curve given the type of usage on the street? Turbo lag? Clutches/all wheel drive components/gearboxes up to the task?

I would definitely avoid the SRT4, which is a Neon with boost. Neons have had build quality issues from day 1.

The Evo reminds me a lot of an 86' Shelby Charger Turbo we had. Lot's of fun and stuck to the road like glue. Right down to where it only carried a sticker price of about $8,000 (in '86). The looks were just about as funky.

Isn't the STi 300hp and about $30k also? The Evo still weighs less to make up for only having 271hp.

That Shelby Charger was about the only car I'd ever driven that maintained it's power at elevations above 8,000' in Colorado. The turbos (twin sequencial) were really, really good.

I drove a Toyota MR2 ('85 version) there one year (Del Norte), and I joked with my girlfriend that the car was actually battery powered, the only purpose of the gas engine was to keep the battery charged. Power was sufficient to coast downhill.

i'm a mopar fan, and i'll tell ya, the shelby charger was a hot ticket during that era. at one point it attained 100 horsepower per litre (222h.p.)don't care for smoking the front(a.k.a.STEERING)tires much though.

one of my favorites is the early 90's toyota mr2 turbo. without going into the block, they have been modded to put out over 400h.p.!!and they are rear wheel drive.

avman.

The evo responds well to mods. Several are running 11s already. Stock turbo, stock motor, stock drivetrain.

My mistu has been great. The stock motor handles 500+hp like a walk in the park. Haven't had any drivetrain issues besides needing a new clutch to handle the power. Takes 21-22psi on 91 octane all day long, and 30+ on higher octane. Runs consistent 11s at the track all night on $60 cheap *** street tires. Overall, a fun and great car.

SYI ran 12.8 last night with exhaust, headers, and intake. Not bad, but EVOs are doing 12.0-12.1s with about the same mods.

I go Subaru all the way. Be it a WRX or STI. I don't like Mistu's.. the only one I would ever buy is the Lancer Evolution..not that econo Lancer. But give the choice between a WRX and EVo.. still go Subie. Just have a better track record than Mistu's IMO. I haven't heard anything about any major recall's on the STI either.

The SRT-4? Hmm... lot's of motor.. but lot's of problems to go with it. Neon's are bad news. Interestingly I've yet to see a single SRT-4 cruising the mean streets of Tulsa...well just the streets.

The EVO also only has a 2 litre engine compared to the 2.5 in the STI and the 2.2 in the newer WRX's, all of them sporting a single turbo.

I have seen a stock SRT-4 out at the track and it consistently beat the guys in the stock WRX's.

I do know a guy however that runs mid 12's in his WRX, and that was before he installed a 50 shot of NOS.

Having seen the STI and the EVO VIII(8) side by side I think that the interior of the STI beats is way nicer than the EVO's interior.

The interior on my buddies '03 WRX is pretty nice as well.

I was riding in my buddies WRX one morning about 7am as we were heading to the grocery store on our break in the middle of class.

We got to the empty grocery store parking lot just as it had finished raining and he decided to give us a display of the all wheel drive capabilities.

He gunned it and the car started to slide, but not for long, the car regained it's grip on the wet pavement and shot off in a new direction. This went on for a minute or two and we decided to go buy our snacks and head back to class.

Oh well, just some random thoughts.

Peace, Josh