Reference build quality!

I will have to say that I have been extremely dissapointed in the build quality of the reference speakers.

The legs are flimsy & grills break. One of my RF-7's I had to take the back off the speaker to connect a wire. Later I purchased a single RS-7 and the main speaker cuts in and out. I have taken it to the store of purchase who have tried to help but it did not do it then. When the speaker cuts in and out the horns on either side still operate.

I have no complaints with my RF-3's, KLF-20's, RC-7, RC-3, or KSW-15.

I feel like I have spent alot ($6,000) for a few speakers and the percentage of problems are very high.

After all of that I love my Klipsch sound, just very frustrated with quality.

Should have bought some real speakers - like the Heritage line! You won't find flaws like that on them. Of course the new ones probably aren't built with the care they were in years past. It's a real shame when you drop good money and have to take them back to be corrected.

I would have thought that a Klipsch person/rep would have replied to this. It has been so frustrating to me that I only have klipsch in my main set-up but recently added a second sub and went with B & W instead. I was planning to entirely outfit my bedroom setup with Klipsch but find myself secong guesing that thought.

By the way, I do have a set of Ledgends KLF-20 and I do not think they are as detailed as the Reference Series.

Rather than give you some cocky answer as to what you SHOULD have bought Phil, I would suggest you contact Klipsch Tech Support and express your views to someone there. You might ask for Trey Cannon. You could e-mail one of the Moderators here, BobG, for help. I'm sure Klipsch will make good on your purchase. And welcome to the forum.

Keith

Thanks T2K,

I really love Klipsch and I repaired the RF-7's myself. I still have intermitant problems with the RS-7. I will do what you suggested as well. My local dealor is helpful but it did not act up the one time I took it back.

I am actually going to record the cut outs so I can prove it to her. The speaker is about one month old and I feel like a should have gotten a replacement instead of having to go through all of this.

Phil,I have no idea where you bought your Klipsch but the only time I ever had a problem with new Klipsch my dealer replaced it promtly,no questions asked.I did get a rc7 with a loose front but they gladly replaced it over a year ago and my replacement was perfect.Your point is well taken,quality should be job one,but in this case,components are the most important to me.As to the grill I have no problem with them,I actually like em',also the feet have not been a problem for me.I will admit I do handle with extreme caution when I do move em' or show em'.It sounds like you just have the same luck as me,if one in a thousand is faulty I always get it.

Fish,

I usually have good luck, except with these. Like you, I have not actually broken a grill or foot, but use extreme caution. I can see a day when I could break one. As for taking back the RF-7, Damn it's heavy, as you know. I was happy the repair was simple and I could do it. I did take back the RS-7 but like a car, it operated fine at the "dealorship". If I pressed it I could get the stor eto get me a new one as I have spent insane money there.

How do you like your Denon 2900? I have been considering getting that or the new Yamaha (not sure of the number). Do you use yours for DVD-a or SACD?

Yes, klipsch and build quality. It could definitely be better, certainly when you go to the RF-7. I didnt mind when I broke a foot of one of my RF-3´s because I was removing them to place the pads directly in the speaker. But grills that break? You certainly dont want to lift the speaker with the grill!!! I think the grills are very nice.

I began to worry about speaker quality when I first checked the speaker wires through the bass reflex. Finally I ended opening the RF-3´s to find that it was far from perfect: speaker wire (probably better in RF3II) , dampening material, enclosure bracing. But ok, for the price of the RF-3 I think no speaker will be able to do better or not ?

I checked the RF-7 to discover the same internal qualities except for the speaker wire but at a bigger price tag.

So I ended up tweaking my RF-3´s: speaker wire, dampening material and very important bracing structure. The result is astounding.

Still the crossover is something to think about also. But I have still to do my rear RF-3´s.

Nothing lost, The RF-7 can be unleashed as my RF-3´s. They would be great speakers if you have the room size.

Hey, how does the B&W sub compare to your klipsch sub???

Why not a second KSW15??

Phil, if the RS-7 continues to be intermittant, please contact the dealer once again for repair or replacement. If they do not help, contact our tech support staff by calling toll free 800-klipsch. You have every right to expect top quality.

Phil,

Reading through this thread makes me feel alot better about Klipsch making good on these RF problems. I couldn't really imagine it being o.k. with Klipsch to have something less than excellent in product or support. Sounds like they've worked a win-win outcome with you.

Dee

Hey,

I wouldn't say "win-win" at all. I had to fix the RF-7 myself as I did not want to carry back a 90 plus pound speaker and be without out for who knows how long and the surround speaker still has not been replaced (suposedly in the process.

I have purchased 7 Klipsch Reference speakers and 5 klipsch non-reference speakers. 2 of the 7 Reference speakers were poor/broken for a 28.5% failure rate. No problems with the non reference.

Klipsch actually wins (except for negative press like this) as I was inconvienianced and they still made a sale. I was compensated nothing, not even an "I'm sorry, we will do better" which is all I would like to hear.

Don't get me wrong, I love Klipsch and their sound. They should really go out of their way to accomodate the horn loaded speaker lovers as their are more than a few folks who love to bash the horn sound on other forums. It makes it that much worse when the product we so adimatly defend on those sites are starting to get a reputation as being "flimsy".

I understand that they are the # 2 speaker company in America based on volume. Better be careful with that as the # 1 speaker company is Bose who have had to resort to mass marketing and volume big store sales. They (Bose) simply could not compete in the smaller Botique stores where A/B comparison and a more educated (SOUND WISE) person shops.

Again, please do not take this as "slamming" Klipsch. They have a great product that they need to tighten their quality control proceedures on.

Phil,just wanted to say I really like the 2900,I use it for sacd,dvd-a and redbook cd.I purchased it for audio and have been very happy.Its easy to operate,plays dvd-r,cdr and all I've tried,even a very thick dvd(almost twice as thick as standard) that won't play in my panasonic or sony.I am not a video buff so I can't really review,but it looks great to me.The yamaha s2300 is a good unit also but has a few minor flaws,I prefer the 2900 over all for price v performance.

Quality and your satisfaction with Klipsch products are critical issues. If we fail to make good products and we fail to make our customers happy, then we fail overall. I could go on about recent improvements in our factory, QC team etc. but the proof is in the pudding so I won't bore you.

When you have problems with Klipsch products that were purchased through authorized dealers, we ask that you advise your dealer immediately. If the dealer fails to provide appropriate response, we ask that you contact us.

I too have bad experiences with my Reference speakers. I accidentally put pressure on my white RS-7 when installing, and a streak of black ink appeared on the grill. When I finally done installing, one of the RS-7 did not make any sound, after removing the connector-panel at the back of the speaker, I found out that one of wires was disconnected. I also found out that the connectors inside are no better than what you can find at Radio Shack. My problem right now is the stain in my white RS-7. I don't want to go back to my dealer because we had a big argument regarding a cancelled order (we don't like each other anymore). I called tech support, and basically they told me to go back to my dealer or go to H#$@&*^. What a shame.

so far w/my experience selling the reference line for the last 3 months, i have only had ONE problem w/a rsw-12 that came in doa,something electrical internally. NOT ONE customer has reported a problem,as i found the problem w/the rsw-12.

otoh, if MY klf-30's would have come unglued, i would have.

i beleive that klipsch is very concientious about product quality. everyone makes mistakes, it's how you handle them that counts(as long as you don't make TOO many mistakes2.gif )

avman.

I hear you AVMAN,

I truly believe the same as you, everyone makes mistakes. My dealer took me rather lightly at first which highly concerned me. I have spent something like $15,000 with them over the past 20 months and was offended. I bascially went back to them with my RS-7 problem and they ordered a part, yet to come in. If it is not corrected by them I will contact Klipsch, however the damage has been done.

No matter what you buy or sell the product is only as good as the company/people behind them. In this case the people are the company's agent.

Hopefully this will be resolved soon. This weekend I still had the problem and I am getting more upset everytime I play a movie or watch TV.

I am glad to hear that you have had only one problem. Perhaps as Bob commented, Klipsch has addressed some QC issues. However no matter how many posts I read about low failure rates, I am still in the 29% failure rating and had to correct one of the problems myself and am still waiting for resolution on the other.

The legs are the RF-7 are it's only weakness. However, If one takes the time and makes the effort to move them with some care -- they do fine. Most speakers weighing in at almost 100 lbs. don't like being scooted into place. If one stands next to the RF-7, places one hand inside the outer rim of the terminal up, and the other inside the horn -- they can be easily lifted and moved.

"I accidentally put pressure on my white RS-7 when installing, and a streak of black ink appeared on the grill."

And this is somehow the fault of Klipsch? Where did the black ink come from?

"My problem right now is the stain in my white RS-7. I don't want to go back to my dealer because we had a big argument regarding a cancelled order (we don't like each other anymore). I called tech support, and basically they told me to go back to my dealer or go to H#$@&*^. What a shame."

Yes, you need to go through your dealer and have them receive a Return Authorization Number from Klipsch. Also, you should only expect replacement if the the damage was somehow related to faulty workmanship. I also seriously doubt anyone in Tech Support told you to go to He!!.

The internal connectors are as good as what everyone else uses. I do wish Klipsch would start soldering them however.

Some RF7's may seem to have loose frot boards - the part that is glued to the cabinet. I bought a pair in the box at an authorized dealer, and one came this way, which the dealer and klipsh replaced immediately. I now have the same problem with the other one. It may have been there all along, but now its starting to vibrate at low bass notes. The bottom line though, is that klipsch (and the dealer) have been very good to work with. This one, I might have the dealer fix (its really a minor thing with the glue, apparently). I have found problems with other components (HK, Infinity, etc) and in general - all have been very easy to work with, I would rank Klipsch toward the top (with infinity - who actually replaced an EMIT tweeter free 3 years after the warranty was out - maybe they knew there was a problem...).