How long before I can let the RF5's soar

I just got my RF5's last Friday and have been listening to them at "about" 70 percent like the salesman recommended. He said to do this for about a week to two weeks depending how much I listened to them. I have basically not turned them off since unpacking other than going to work etc. I am pushing them with a 300 watt Yamaha amp and have never had them above 4 on the wattt meter. Usually one red bar light solid and the other flashing "peaking" at 4 watts and that is pretty darn loud! I have company here and more coming and can see a demo of their max capabilty coming on and want to know how critical it is not to max them out too soon. Thanks Guys for your help! I LOVE these speakers!!!3.gif

It sounds like you are doing fine. 4 watts is nowhere near 70%. You must know that already. Those RFs will handle way more. Sounds like you discovered the Klipsch efficiency advantage.

Remember, 10 times the sound power doubles the volume. So 40 watts would be twice as loud as it is now with 4 watts.

The important thing is when they are first turned on, they should be "warmed up" for a few minutes at a lower volume before knocking the pictures off the wall.

Play em and don't worry. You will probably encounter ear pain before you even come close to hurting the RFs.

I have to agree with Jay. Let it bleed (if you want). The drivers & complete speaker system probably went thru testing before leaving the factory that would put more stress on it than you're likely to.

On the other hand I've always felt uncomfortable just using mechanical or electro-mechanical devices full-tilt right out of the box. Seems to always result in decreased reliability over the long term as well as never reaching its maximum potential performance. I'm not of the school of thought that this necessarily results in 'better sound' though.

• 3 weeks later...

----------------

On 7/22/2003 9:14:19 AM mark1101 wrote:

Remember, 10 times the sound power doubles the volume. So 40 watts would be twice as loud as it is now with 4 watts.

----------------

Sorry, no! SPL is a power measurement. Twice the power is twice the power. (Disregarding any heat loss and other physical inefficiencies) 8W is twice as loud as 4W.

What's up with this misconception on this board? I see all the time people quoting a 10dB increase as a doubling. They'll even argue about it. It's just not mathematically correct. Even guys that can talk amp design and acoustics far above my level!

No offense, but where does this 10dB crap come from? Did somebody get inside someone's brain to measure what they "percieved" to be a doubling? If you percieve a 10dB increase to be a doubling of power, then you are simply mistaken.

If you're colorblind, that don't make the grass gray.

As long as we're on the subject of volume and breakin period, here's a couple real rookie questions:

First, my Kenwood 7080 uses a db scale for volume. It runs from about -48 to +13. At 0db, it's pretty much rockin'! What does this scale mean in terms of power output?

Second, My new R3 system was delivered this week, and I've pretty much ignored the breakin period. I haven't knocked any pictures off the wall, but close. How much trouble am I in? (sorry, but I shouldn't have put on Momentary Lapse of Reason...my finger on the volume control simply ignored my pleas to stop raising the volume!!)

• 3 weeks later...