What kind of system would you put together??

Allrite it's gettin a little boreing out here listening to all these people talkin' about their PM's takin' a dump on them...so ......The question is,...not tryin to be the most expensive... but... "what equipment would you like to put together to make the the system you always wanted" 2 Channel only....HT is a whole nuther ballgame..well talk about that later If you like you can do SS and Tubes seperatly... Some of you might allready have the system of your dreams ...but most of us POOR people still have to dream.....so lets hear about your dreams..........gc

I guess if I had the cash and could do what I wanted this would be my dream set up:

Dynaco MkIIIs--Rebuilt with polished chrome chassis

Cary pre-amp (like an SLP-90)

Rega Planet 2000 CD Player

Rega Planar TT

Rotel RCC-1055 CD Changer

RF-7s

• Like 1

This is a great topic, one that I already brought up a few months ago...see:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=34675&sessionID={5BB32EB8-FE4A-4EAE-8DB1-AB5E2D9BC56C}

And now that I'm using my brother's MC2100 amplifier (while he's using my MC250 (along with another MC250 he just bought), bridging them mono to power his loudspeakers), I couldn't be happier with the results. For now, this is my dream system...what I would really want (but can never afford) is listed in my opening topic to my thread.

I was thinking the following might be a nice step up from my current rig....expensive electronics but the type of stuff sold at the local audio boutique.

Mint condition Klipschorns

Audio Research SP16 pre-amp w/phono

Audio Reserach VS55 tube amp

Esoteric DV-50 universal player

New Linn LP12 TT (or VPI Scout)

Record cleaning machine

Not really a fair question, two channel only. Might as well say mono only or crank up 78.

While I've spent 90% percent of my time on the Forum in this area, it is only because the philosophies here most correspond with my own, not because I feel there is anything sacrosanct about two channel. A piano or most solo instruments sound best in mono. Many other things sound great in 2 channel. Other things simply aren't right without at least 4. I've my doubts beyond that, but my mind is not closed.

Dave

for that vintage 2 channels system I would pick...

matched pair of early 50,s khorns with WE mid drivers

Marantz model 2 amps

Marants model 7 preamp

tube studer 2 track

Something big and flashy from the 50.s with a big SME arm on it for a table

I have the early khorns already Just need to win the lottery for the Marantz and Studer stuff

Rockport Technologies Sirius turntable, $77,500

Koetsu Onyx Platinum Cartridge, $7,600

Boulder 2008 Phono Preamplifier $29,000

Boulder 2010 Preamp, $36,000

Boulder 2050 Monoblock Amplifier (6, we'll tri-amp), $186,000

dCS Verdi CD and SACD transport, $10,995

dCS Purcell D-to-D converter (sample rate converter), $6,995

dCS Elgar Plus D-to-A converter, $14,995

1m MIT Oracle V1.1 Proline balanced line interconnect. $5,495/pair, uh, 8 (?) pair, $43,960

8' MIT Oracle V1 modular speaker cable, $15,995/pair, 3 pair, $47,985

Dynaudio Evidence Master speakers, (theEars fave) $85,000/pair

That gives us a nice two-channel system with phono, CD, and SACD (no DVD or DVD-A, alas) for the total system price of $546,030 or thereabouts - the price on the Rockport tends to shift around a bit, depending upon how busy Andy is.

I'd pick up the following:

A Decware Zen 6BQ5 SET amp

A shoebox loaded with Radio Shack full range speaker

A Technics SLB200 mounted on half tennis ball

A Radio Shack littl' Devil phono preamp

A Sony Discman since 0 and 1 are 0 and 1, Cheap CDP are as good as expensive CDP, every knowledgeable guy KNOWS that!

That will show them snob Avant Garde Trio owners...

JFL

P.S. just in case... I was sarcastic...

well here it goes...

1. My k-horns (maybe try type A x-overs and re-wire internally with DH labs cable)...

2. Some maxed-out JFL 2A3 PP amp...(almost there)...

3. McIntosh C2200 Preamplifier (tubes and a remote control!)

4. Upgrade my DAC to...? well the purcell/elgar combo seem too expensive, even for my pie in the sky system...so I will take the Audio Aero Prima

That´s it...as I said I am almost there...the only things that sit perpetually in my "wonder about this" file are the Tenor amps and the TacT preamp-room correction box.

Maybe those could be put into a second system with my Maggie 20s...LOL!

tony

How much space are you filling? Are corners available for KHorns or other designs that work best in a corner?

For speaker designs that require corners, in descending order - as space permits: KHorns / then Chorus-II / then RF-7 or Forte-II

For speaker designs that don't require corners, in descending order - as space permits: Belle + sub, LaScala + sub, Cornwall.

I would have a few amps .. like the ones below, CD/SACD Philips DVD963 or better, and a very solid turntable (I like the Basis 1400) with a good arm (I lucked out and found a used Graham 1.5). Cartridge and phono pre to taste .. I have a Grado Gold and Creek OBH-8SE and would like something a little cleaner.

leok

----------------

That gives us a nice two-channel system with phono, CD, and SACD (no DVD or DVD-A, alas) for the total system price of
$546,030
or thereabouts.

----------------

Holy cow Ray!!6.gif

This would make a great movie. You know the plot. "If you can spend over a half a Millon on a 2 channel system in 3 days you get to keep it and earn dear Uncle Alberts 100 Million dollar empire, otherwise it all goes to the butler's dog with the pink sweater." 9.gif

for home 2-channel system:

two early model Klipschorns, KWO

one LaScala(center channel duty), in WO (would have to build this myself)

Thorens TD-125 w/Sure SME arm

H/K Citation V OR Citation II amp(w/mods)

preamp could be any one of many

Dynaco FM-3 tuner(w/mods)

For S/S serious party duty:

MCM1900 system, complete for L&R channel duties

4 LaScalas for center channel array filler duties

4 each Dynaco stereo 400 M/A amplifiers..one each running mono for L&R channel MCM1900..and two each for the 4 LaScalas in stereo mode(200 wpc)

100' x 60' party barn

other equipment for this system would vary...but would require custom built preamp set-up

hmm, well i suppose this is a question that everyone's answer would change over time. Right now i would guess this would be it:

any ol cd player with digital out

custom built DAC using the finest parts available for the cd player

Best Linn turtable made

Aragon 28KMKII pre

Aragon 6 Palladiums for tri-wiring mains

2 La-scalas brand new 2k3 models

2 custom made subwoofers perfectly matched to keep up with the la-scalas

2 palladiums to drive the subwoofers

1 custom built active crossover to run every channel

most importantly a room designed to to accomidate this stuff with the appropriate acoustic treatment necessary

a lazy boy with beer holder and built in custom remote to run everything and a NO MAAM sign on the door

9.gif