I hate my Mother inlaw

I thought this joke to be approporate for this thread

============================================================================

A couple drove down a country road for several miles, not saying a word. An earlier discussion had led to an argument and neither of them wanted to concede their position. As they passed a barnyard of mules, goats and pigs, the wife asked sarcastically, "Relatives of yours?"

"Yep," the husband replied, "in-laws."

============================================================================

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent story m00n. I'm sure everybody has had very different and unique experiences. Both my wife and I could have shared our home with either my mother or her father. Both passed away fairly young. My dad(84), who I love, and I would last no more than a week. We both enjoy visits and miss each other but go "whew" when its over. He, however, has never been nasty, vindictive or slanderous. The MIL is a different story and although she has changed (mellowed) for the better, the old wounds still show scars. I know what "easy" is going through. Sometimes just talking about it helps. I think it's called a ***** session. "easy" and I will have a good one soon and then have a listen to that 299 I haven't even hooked up yet.

My MIL was in her 40's when my wife was born. When we first met, in college, my wife would want to go home and visit her mother during school breaks because, "...she's in her 60's and probably won't be around much longer..." Well, SHE'S NOW IN HER 90"s and, from the looks of things, ain't going anywhere, anytime soon. Not that I'm complaining. Actually, things have mellowed greatly over the years, but I'm convinced that the distances involved have only been a good thing.

My boss' mother in law reminds me of the MIL of Ray Romano fome "Everyone Loves Raymond" to a tee. I've been to my boss' house plenty of times, baby-sat her kids and helped her throw parties for verious local high-ranking dignitaries. So, yes, I've seen her in action. She watches the boss' 7 year-old twins quite often and even they are getting annoyed by her. She really would bring over a box of baking soda to put in the Sub Zero because she said smelled something in there (she's just trying to degrade my boss).

Strange though, I live about 30 miles from my own parents and MIGHT speak to them once in a couple of months and then it's only for less than 2 minutes on the phone. My girlfriend's parents a little over 300 miles away and I talk to them every couple of weeks.

I don't think my own mother has very high praise for me and never did. We could be in the same room and still be a hundred miles apart. My dad can be a saint but he's still a "Yes" man when it comes to my mom. Remember on teh Flintstones when the Flintstones are going on vacation with the Rubbles?

Betty: "Did you call the paper-boy?"

Barney: "Yes, Ma'am"

Betty: "Did you call the milk-man?"

Barney: "Yes, Ma'am."

Betty: "Did you stop our mail?"

Barney: "Yes, Ma'am"

Betty: "Did you take the dog to the kennel?"

Barney: "Yes, Ma'am."

Betty" "Did you pack enough food?"

Barney "Yes, Ma'am."

And that I know that prevented dad from doing some of the things with me he may have wanted to because dad helped out both of my brothers with projects for their houses etc. But since I don't own my own business or have credentialed initials behind my name or have what she considers a real job, I don't get squat. Compationate she's not. Sorry, (hopping down from my soap box).

I truley believe that by the time it came to rasing me after her having four previous kids, she got tired of it and didn't put a lot of effort into it as she did with my sibs.15.gif

When I lost my job of 13 years I was still living with Mom and Dad (please, don't pass judgement until you know all the facts). The company went belly-up and within two weeks I was diagnosed with Type I Diabetes with no income, no insurance and living off my life savings of about $8k in the bank. Looking for work took about two years and much to my mother's disbelief of my efforts of looking for a job she threw me out of the house. We haven't been very close ever since. I moved in with my GF and have found a supporting job with conections with high ranking public officials in theis city (kind of the Richard Cory types). So the next time I see my mother I'll be driving my $30k+ car and she'll still be taking credit for doing a good job at raising me. I don't think so.

Tom,

I don't really know what to say about your story other than it's really sad that you and your mother are not closer. I can image it must be very difficult to feel unloved by your very own mother.

To this day, my mother and I will scrap like cats and dogs but, we definitly know we love each other.

Damn dude... You got me wanting to call my mother just to tell her I love her. 4.gif

My MIL is in for us to stay for a week.

Before she married her second husband; i used to take her and my wifes grandma on vacation from 1983 to 1999.

Sometimes for 2 weeks or more.

YOU MARRY THE MOTHER IN LAW; UNLESS THE WIFE THINKS FOR HERSELF.

You have to make this discovery before you get married.

My mother in law was not keen on me at first; but grandma loved me like her own son. MIL was trained by grandma.

A tough situation when it goes arwy.

The bible gives pretty good advice.

The wife "leaves" her family for the husband.

I am not a chauvinist by any means my wife is a 3.9 grade point for her undergraduate degree and is far more intelignet than I; but the woman needs to submit to the husband on issues he takes a stand on.

Family meddling is one of those issues.

My wife is too smart. Trust me. It's not always a good thing. 4.0 in undergrad school, top 10 in law school and top 1% in state on bar exam. More times than not I wish she was dumber than she is. The upside is she makes a good living and since I'm the banker, I handle the finances.9.gif

P.S. Plenty of partying in H.S. and college for both of us. Way more than average.

----------------

On 7/29/2003 9:55:05 PM garymd wrote:

My wife is too smart. Trust me. It's not always a good thing. 4.0 in undergrad school, top 10 in law school and top 1% in state on bar exam. More times than not I wish she was dumber than she is. The upside is she makes a good living and since I'm the banker, I handle the finances.
9.gif

P.S. Plenty of partying in H.S. and college for both of us. Way more than average.

----------------

You are one lucky man garymd. I wish my wife made more than 7.35 and hour. Day care teachers don't get paid shlt. I know what you mean on the partying. Infact we started to date and she knew I partied and then she made me stop. I guess that is for the best though. I think if I had a wife that was a lawyer I don't think I would have stopped.

I am so glad you guys are all around to let me vent and to jump in to let me know I am not the only one.10.gif

Easy,

It was actually me who got her to stop. We had our first kid when we were 23 so reality hit quickly. She was still in undergrad school and I had just graduated from college but was working at a grocery store. We were on food stamps and WIC program. You really appreciate what you have a lot more when you worked hard to earn it and when you started with nothing.

Just keep working at it (work your a$$ off in school next year) and you'll be suprised what you can accomplish when you put your nose to the old grindstone.

Okay, here's the wife's resume (she'd call it a CV):

Full scholarship to Umass Amherst for physics, graduated 2nd in her class.

Full scholarship to Harvard graduate school, earned her PhD. in experimental condensed matter physics.

Post-doc at MIT doing research in MEMS (micro electrical motor systems).

She's currently an assistant professor in the mechanical engineering department at MIT.

Being an architect, I'm no slouch but she makes me look like a moron. Sometimes I like the fact my wife's smarter than me and sometimes I don't. It's particularly difficult when we have discussions about things that are not "hard and proven facts". She has extreme difficulty accepting anything on faith and doesn't see a problem with that (she's a scientist after all). Sometimes I say to her "Can't you just take my word for it?" Her response is always in so many words, no. BTW, we have a great marriage in spite of this little annoying habit of hers.

Now, my mother-in-law on the other hand....11.gif11.gif

We live in the same town as her parents and they are very close (personally, not geographically). Everyone thinks I'm anti-social because I don't want to spend a lot of time doing things with her family. Drives. me. friggin. nuts. God forbid I'd like to see a movie with just my wife or have a cookout with just friends and not friends plus her parents and grandparents.

erdric

sounds like you found a keeper. One smart gal. I have been saying the same thing to my wife, about the cookout or movies.

I just got a directivo the other week and I had to get a big speach from MIL about how I waste all my money on the stereo and tv stuff. When she was speaking all I was thinking about is how easy it would be to droan her out with the klipsch. I think that would be a good tv show.

My wife should be on one of those political talk shows. She could run circles around Chris Matthews, Sean Hannity, Tim Russet, any of them. Her father ran for MD state senate and congress in the 70s (lost both times) but was County Executive for 8 years for Montgomery County (3rd richest county in the country I think) so she grew up with politics. She can name every governer, senator, congressman, etc. from any state and their views on every issue. She can bore me to tears sometimes but I just nod and shake my head. She, her father and her brother are lawyers. Because of health issues (MS and Rheumatoid Arthritis) she has a government job and works from home (can't drive anymore - bad eyesight from the MS). Still a good living (GS15 step 7 - attorney scale) but I still kind of like the fact that I make more than she does. Gives me more leverage on audio purchases. 2 more years and the kids will both be gone and tuition finished (prepaid college trust is great if you can swing it and your state offers it). Yippee!!! Been waiting a long time for that.1.gif

Easy,

Thanks, and yes she's definitely a keeper. I'm damned proud of her.

I may get frustrated occasionally with her scientific approach to everything but it's only a small amount of the time. Years ago I got so frustrated with her take on a situation I blurted out "What are you, Vulcan?" I thought for sure I was dead but she just started laughing her *** off. It's been a running joke ever since.