amp

donziman

Marksdad,

Your system is sweet. i have noted the changes in the past 6-9 months.

A friend of mine bought a B&K 5 x 125 i think after a year of trials.

----------------

2 x 200 for Chorus II is a bit exteme. Are we filling an airplane hangar for a big party?

Just kidding.

What wattage do you feel you need?

25-50 SS(solid state watts) watts should be bone crushing loud.

I have heard the new Euro model Rotel, it is nice for SS.

Arcam or Creek would be reasonable to try.

I would love to hear a Naim Naitt integrated; they are pricey though.

no not a air plane hanger!!! I like my body to feel the music right now I have a denon 110x7 denon reciver and the chorus are barely breathing so will a better amp sound lowder if it was the same power? what do you think about Parasound?

I own and would also recommend B&K.

Please realize that going from a 100W to 200W amp is only going to get you about 3 more dB. If your Chorus' "barely breathing" now, with 200W they may breath a tiny little bit more.

Mace

Mace,

You have a 299A.

You have to double the watts to gain One db.

Someone correct me if I am incorrect.

example

100 db at one watt speakers

101 2

102 4

103 8

104 16

105 32 watts

At what DB does it go from music to bone crushing SPL and uncontrollable room distortion?

It is different for everyone.

B&K, Arcam, Creek, and Parasound's new amps are awfully sweet, along with the others mentioned above. But it was also stated that you really don't need 200 WPC for gut-wretching volume with Chorus II loudspeakers...your horns are 101dB @ 1 watt/1 meter, so even a 50 to 100 WPC amp would be more than enough (my previous McIntosh MC250 (50 WPC) was barely breathing at +110dB levels; even more so now that I have a 105 WPC MC2100)! But I have to admit it's nice to know I have the extra reserve power for my Cornwalls if I decide to play my music at "live" levels (which I tend to do alot with my favorite pipe organ music)!

Get Jim to find you one of those shiny Mac MC-250s his family is so famous for. They go pretty cheap on ebay and Jim can tell you how good one will sound. Add a matching Mac preamp if you like and you're really cookin. Just another idea to throw at ya.

"no not a air plane hanger!!! I like my body to feel the music right now I have a denon 110x7 denon reciver and the chorus are barely breathing "

you are experiencing the difference between "receiver power ratings" and what real amplifiers are rated for.....

more importantly...the quality of the power is more important than the quantity....

i just switched my mains amplifer from a 225 watt per channel solid state carver amp...(tfm-225) to a dynaco 17 watt per channel tube amp (sca-35).....

my sound was greatly improved and my system plays just as loud as before......

quality power is more important than quantity of power when it concerns klipsch speakers......

You say that with 110 watts the Chorus don't breath......put a power output meter on you speaker lines you can get them at rat shack....sounds like your input levels are too low and not giving your amp enough to work with....Chorus at 110 watts should get up and sing to the neighbors......gc

I have a nice Audio Dynamics (ADC) B-200 Configurable Power Amplifier that is rated at 250W X 2 into 8Ohms that should make those Chorus II's roar! It is a clean sounding amplifier with good specifications built in the late 80's. It is essentially a clone of the DBX BX-2 Power Amplifier since ADC and DBX were both owned/run by the BSR corporation. I will be putting it up on eBay this week if I get no interested parties on the BB. I am looking to get $200 plus shipping for it, it will post it on eBay for more than that. This amp sold for about $800 new, it has a large powerful torodial transformer in it and big power supply caps. It weighs in at 41 lbs unpacked. I am parting with it because I just bought another DBX BX-2 amp to match the theme of my system. I have been using it to run my DBX SW-3830 passive subwoofer at 250W per coil.

PWKlogo014.jpg

Where have I seen that image before?2.gif

I need to start collecting royalty fees for the use of my images as avatars on this forum!9.gif

I'm flattered you chose it...it's amazing what PhotoShop 7.0 can do to manipulate edster00's pie-slice logo from his vintage Cornwalls...Oops, did I say that? Nevermind!6.gif

post-11084-13819248627224_thumb.jpg

Donzi,

I see by yuor speaker complement you have an HT rig.

I have both.

I most likely would not watch U-571 through my 2 channel.

And would not listen to Annie Lennox singing at her finest in the HT rig.

After half of a decade of work i gave up trying to do both in the same rig.

Good Luck

Rick