All Klipsch Sound the Same!

garymd

I visited Sound Works today for the first time, a local high-end shop today near my office. They have some very nice gear there and they are an authorized klipsch retailer. They are also hi-fi snobs IMO.

The best klipch in the store were the RF5s and they wouldn't even let me listen. I need to call an hour in advance so they can set them up. How difficult would it be to unhook those vandersteens or whatever the hell they are and hook up the RF5s which were right next to them?

The guy I spoke to was nice enough but told me my gear was good vintage stuff but in no way would sound as good as new equipment. What a sales pitch. Insult your customer's gear.

What really got me PO'd was this. I told him I'd like to hear the RF7s since I had heritage speakers and he told me if I liked cornwalls I would also like the RF7s since all klipsch speakers sound the same. Do you believe this guy? I strongly disagreed and we ended up agreeing to disagree. He doesn't care for klipsch himself. What a snobby, audio review reading excuse for a hi-end audio salesman. If a klipsch fanatic walked into my store, klipsch would automatically become my favorite speaker ever.

If I had any business to take, I'd take it elsewhere. Maybe he was the wrong guy to talk to. I didn't ask for the owner like someone mentioned in that Myer-Emco thread but I also wasn't looking to buy anything.

Jeez, I hate it when idiots act like they have knowledge and authority... could you imaging a server in a restaurant telling you that any fish you order tastes the same?

I have not had near the experience with Klipsch as many here, but every Klipsch speaker I have heard sounded different to me (all good, but different). I have had Heritage, Legend, and Reference Series in use, all at the same time, and there are definite sonic differences.

...and I'll bet your Cornwalls kick his ***...

----------------

On 8/8/2003 8:33:52 PM garymd wrote:

I visited Sound Works today for the first time, a local high-end shop today near my office. They have some very nice gear there and they are an authorized klipsch retailer. They are also hi-fi snobs IMO.

----------------

Glad to see this. I was going to go up there myself and check them out, but if they are going to be like that, I think I am going to pass. At least the local Tweeter here was very cordial, and in fact most of the guys at the store here talked very highly of the Klipsch. The salesman was very envious of my purchase (although he has Vienna himself).

I did hear good things about the owner. Hi-end shops that sell klipsch always seem to act this way from my experience. They certainly weren't pushing klipsch products. Maybe the mark-up is lower or something. Maybe they're just snobs. Who knows.

All Klipsch speakers sound ...the same!Oh yes,I never noticed this.Strange

RF7's dont sound like RF5,and K-Horns dont sound like RF7's either.Strange maybe its my cement ears.

Yes the person who claims Klispch sound the same is a real deal snob or 100% deaf.

sometimes those snobs work for us, unwittingly. when i was a polker, i called polk to inquire about thier lsi line, he proceeded to degrade my electronics, denon, so, coupled with circuit citys inability to set up a listening room, i went to sound track and purchased my first klipsch's, a love affair was born12.gif

Never heard of Home Products United but I'll have to check them out. I have been to Sound Works a couple of times looking for new gear but like Gary said, they tend to push the lastest trend. I think they were into Audio Physics at the time and dissed my ProAcs even though they still carried the line. I mentioned that I had just bought a SET amp and the salesman launched into a 10 minute tirade about how SET was old technology and too distorted to listen to. He also suggested that the tube craze was a passing fad and felt sorry for the folks that will be stuck with useless and worthless equipment once the supply of tubes ran out in a few years. His comments would've been OK with me and certainly he's entitled to his opinion but he's the one who asked what equipment I was using and responded to everything I said as if I was looking for a tricycle in a speed shop. He not only questioned my preferences and interests but trivialized them and treated me like I was clueless (he could've been right but that's not the point). I looked around the shop and saw several pieces of tube equipment but of course, none were hooked up and there was no SET gear to be found. I thanked the fellow, left the store and haven't been back since. It seems that there are precious few audio stores in my area (Baltimore/DC) that offer the audio gear I'm interested in and most of the salesmen must read from the same pamphlet - "Tubes are bad...SET is a lost cause...Horns suck". They must sell something 'cause they're still in business but the few times I pop in, I see the same gear on the shelves. Most of my audio friends have tube gear, several have SET amps and horns and aside from the occassional IC or cartridge, we buy all their gear over the internet. It'd be nice to hear a piece before purchasing but after researching the product and reading the reviews, I can get a pretty good idea of what to expect and rarely have I been disappointed. I wonder about the demographic that some of these audio shops cater to and what kind of personality would appreciate the attitudes of these salesmen (everyone I've met has been male). Sorry for the rant and thanks for your time, Bryan

Since most of the replys here have been from the Baltimore/Washington area, anybody interested in doing something similiar to the Wisconsin folks and trying for a once a month get together for music/movies? I'd be happy to start at my place in September.

----------------

On 8/8/2003 8:33:52 PM garymd wrote:

(some snippage here)

If I had any business to take, I'd take it elsewhere. Maybe he was the wrong guy to talk to. I didn't ask for the owner like someone mentioned in that Myer-Emco thread but I also wasn't looking to buy anything.

----------------

Well, looks like what you had was a bad salesman. In my unfortunate and unsuccessful association as an Independent Business Owner with a well known multi-level marketing company in the past, the one good thing that I took away from that experience was what makes a good salesman.

a couple of things:

1. Praise your competitors, then show what you have to offer.

2. Find out where your customer's interests lie. Be interested in them and their life as it relates to what you are selling.

So you met a bad salesman. Too bad for that business. You mention that you weren't there to buy anything anyway, but had they made you feel welcome I would bet that you would have given them some of your dollars down the line.

If that had been my employee, he wouldn't have lasted till the end of that day.

Seems that salesmanship is a dying art these days. What a shame.

Forrest

Forrest,

You are absolutely right. I did tell him I would be in the market for a dvd/sacd/dvd-a player down the road so it wasn't as if I were not a potential customer. My Tweeter salesman was in awe of my current system, whether real or an act it got him about $5k of my business when I purchased my HT setup. I would have walked out if he acted like this other guy.

Larry,

Glad to hear your in. Like I said before, I work in Bethesda so we're practically neighbors in a sense. Let's see who else will join. If nobody else is interested, I'm not opposed to just the 2 of us. I guess we'll wait and see.

"He also suggested that the tube craze was a passing fad and felt sorry for the folks that will be stuck with useless and worthless equipment once the supply of tubes ran out in a few years."

Oh my god! They are going to be all gone!!

Let the Fad pass, more tubes for me! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

"All Klipsch sound the same"

All food tastes the same(if you have a zinc deficency), all women kiss the same(if you're a eunuch), VHS and Beta look the same(to Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder), and all amplifers sound the same(to the deaf old men at Stereo Review).

WHO?

Tell the deaf/dumb/blind kid to go play pinball.