Anyone enjoying listening to MUSIC these days?

Allan Songer

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been enjoying some music I've heard about on this forum. Hadn't owned anything by Diana Krall or Karin Allyson before running across them as recommended in the favorite jazz thread.

Also, just got Face to Face, haven't had a chance to listen yet. 15.gif

My wife sure is enjoying these new friends, too.

Best regards,

Dee

It's all about enjoying the music.

Re: The Gitanes Series:

Jeff references some Very nicely re-mastered disks. The series also includes in addition to Stephane Grapelli and Django Reinhardt - Oscar Peterson, Louis Armstrong and many other excellent musicians.... BONUS TIME... They are sold cheaply at retail - VERY well worth buying.

Tonight ... reprised SRV... Couldn't Stand The Weather ( Stevie was Was Taken Way Too Soon) and an old Design Spotlight Series LP DLP 153 ( Pickwick 1962 ).

Spotlight On:

Sy Zentner

Nick Fatool

Eddie Miller

Charles Teagarden

Van Alexander

Lucky Thompson

Stan Getz

Charles Shavers

Arnold Fishkind

Marty Paich

Don Lamond

Juan Tizol

Jimmy Zito

Butch Stone

Willie Smith

Mat Mathews

Chico Hamilton

There is a song list but no info regarding which artists appear in any given cut.

Cheapo LP with no further info but OMG - This LP is a breathtaker!!

Unexpectedly I found that the disc itself was quiet even though it had obviously seen considerable use on visual inspection.

I paid a dollar but If I had known what was on that disk I would have paid far more !

----------------

On 8/14/2003 8:37:10 AM Gregorius wrote:

Chad, what time are you performing? Is Doug's wife Sharon in your group?

----------------

Hi Greg,

Yep, Sharon got the group together a couple of years ago. We're playing 9-11 am or so Sat morning at the farmer's market, downtown Lafayette and 6-9 pm at the Prophetstown Museum (just outside of Battle Ground).

Let me know when you have some time this fall, maybe we can do a review/shootout of some equipment. I'd also love to compare our Scotts and hear your Fisher and my B&W power amp. Could even through in an old NAD and Harmon/Kardon 430 for good measure. I've always wanted to compre crossovers in the Cornwalls, I could drag over my crossovers as well (if they are different than yours).

Mace

Omega OSL19 "The Bay Big Band Swings the Forties." Bay Big Band conducted by Francis Bay at the Brussels Worlds Fair.

Never heard of him. One of those 25 cent discs you go "What the heck, I can always throw it away.

And occasionally, you get a big surprise. These guys must have been with all the original bands, and probably were. If I recall correctly, Brussels was 1958. Many of them would have still been in their 40's and looking for a gig.

Technically, it is superb. Neumann SM-2 mics, Ampex 350-2 and 300-3 (these were vacuum tube behemoths) tape decks, Westrex 3-c cutter on a Neumann A-32 lathe.

Haven't heard a click or pop yet. "And the Angels Sing" sounds like you've been transported back to the Blue Room at the Roosevelt in New Orleans and the war ain't won yet. Also "Six Flats Unfurnished," "Jersey Bounce," "Wang Wang Blues," and more.

Great listening treat after getting the room spruced up for tomorrow's DFW Hornhead group.

Dave

I just received my Amazon shipment with Steely Dan's "Everything Must Go" and Pat Metheny's "One Quiet Night".

I am starting presently with Pat Metheny. This is a CD with nothing but solo baritone guitar. I am four cuts into it and am pretty blown away. The music is beautiful, and as usual, Metheny is exploring a different musical tangent that I would describe as similar to Alex deGrassi in a very exploratory mood. The quality of the recording is unbelieveable. I'd already put it in my Top Ten for CD's (his "Map of the World" is also in there).

The amazing thing is that these recordings were made by himself in his home studio, one mike. Uh, make that two :)

The Horus-Klipschorn combination here is just breaktaking. These huge boxes are really breathing well now.

I have been looking for "Map of the World" for the past few days but haven't been able to find it locally (instant gratification you know-I hate to wait on shipping). I did see "One Quiet Night" but didn't pick it up. I'll get it tomorrow and give it a listen. Thanks for the head's up!

This morning I've been enjoying a "vertical tasting" of Grant Green. I don't know if there is a guitar player anywhere, any time I like better . . .

Grant's First Stand Blue Note LP

Grant Green w/ Sonny Clark Mosaic LP set (ALL OF THEM!!)

Sunday Mornin' Blue Note LP

Green Street Blue Note LP

Grantstand Blue Note LP

The Latin Bit Blue Note LP

Feelin' The Spirit Blue Note LP

Idle Moments Blue Note LP

I have reached Burn Out after 7 hours plus of Grant Green.

Do any of you guys ever run through a boat-load of one artist's music in one marathon session? I do this A LOT!

Allan, absolutely! Now maybe not 7 hours, at least not recently, but I find myself being in a mood for a certain artist at times, and then tend to stick with the same artist. I have done this for years, starting with Chicago (CTA). Only now that I got my LPs out of the garage have I rediscovered what terriffic jazz musicians those guys are! Most recently, I've been playing their 7th LP, which is a 2 LP set. One contains almost all jazz, and boy, does that fill the room! Seems horns sound really great on horns! I don't really care for their pop or ballad style, though admit that those boys can sure write music. But their jazz hits the spot! Also been playing their 1st, 2nd and 3rd...all double LPs.

Many CDs and LPs I have tend to be from a smaller group of artists. Not too many bullet bands in my collection.

Allan,

Klipsch &:

BluesQuest_ AudioQuest Music (SACD)

This side_ NickelCreek Sugar Hill (SACD)

Blue Train_ John Coltrane (CD)

Keystone3_ Art Blakey (SACD)

All Across The City_ Jim Hall Quartet (SACD)

Art Pepper meets The Rhythm Section_ (SACD)

Quintessence_ Bill Evans (CD)

Live at the Pawnshop_ Benny waters (SACD)

And a wide variety of R&R.

Anxiously waiting for Jeff's monoblocks to ship!

SSH

1.gif