Anyone enjoying listening to MUSIC these days?

Allan Songer

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kjohnsonhp....Norah Jones sounds great on my am/fm Delco car stereo, I just can't imagine her SACD sounding anything but remarkable.

CD listening--Depeche Mode-the singles

Vinyl listening--Byrds greatest hits, Cyndi Lauper-shes so unusual, and Journey Escape which I picked up last week for two dollars that absolutely kills any compressed Journey cd I own.

----------------

On 8/13/2003 7:16:44 PM paulparrot wrote:

That's Jimmy Webb. What is my prize, Chris?

----------------

Good guess ...

David Crosby, 1000 Roads ... Some nice acoustic guitar work. It was a dedication (I think) to Jeff Porcaro (or close) who died in a desert car wreck ala James Dean, et al.

I've got an early "Dawg Music" album of David Grisman (mando), and others, plus an album os Stephane Grapelli and David Grisman. Awesome acoustic.

garymd,

Bluegrass is great music. Love that dobro music!

Marvel

Last night's listening in front of the heritage speakers:

Paul Winter consort: Prayer for Wild Things

Martha Argerreich, pianist

Ravel: Gaspard de la Nuit

Pink Floyd: The wall (bits and pieces cranked up loud!)

Bela Fleck & Flecktones live from High Sierra music festival 2001. (Victor Wooten is a GOD!)

Tonight at home (bose 901's) listening to an all star bluegrass parade on a PBS fundraiser. (Del McCory, Rhonda Vincent, Mountain Heart, et al). Earlier was at the church in front of the Cornwalls and Heresys listening to Chanticleer.

I used to love my 901's. sigh.

Forrest

----------------

On 8/13/2003 7:01:42 PM lynnm wrote:

Homage a Django Reinhardt - Stephane Grappelli et Son Quintette Vol I

This was recorded in London in June 1972 and released on the Musidisc Label in 1974. Mine is an Italian pressing C'est Magnifique !

----------------

Indeed...

For the Django fans out there, check out the new Gitanes Jazz Productions reissues from the "Jazz in Paris" serie. These are reissue of old jazz classics from Fontana, Barclay, Mercury, etc... Check these on Amazon. There is this "super bitmat" remastering annoying factor but the music is there and in the end, ain't that what is important? The three titles "Jazz & Cinéma" vol. 1,2 and 3 are marvelous (thought Django free).

Greg,

If you like old timey folk stuff you might the Vagaband a listen. We're playing at the farmer's market in Lafayette Saturday morning and at the Prophetstown Museum that night. I'll be the first to admit we aren't the best, but you and the significant other might enjoy it.

What local festival were you referring to? White River Folk Fest? Fiddlers Gathering? We've played both of those.

Did you pick up those black cornwalls from Texas a while back? If so, how are you liking them? I'd love to compare them to your K-horns, as well as compare Scotts. I finally have one which doesn't hum or buzz! :)

Mace

As far as music.. I got to listen to a 14,000 ton forging press (yes, that's fourteen thousand tons, or, 28 million pounds of force) bang out some steel parts today. Forge shops have a great rhythm. Unfortunately, I must travel with my work PC laptop (as opposed to my snobby Mac!) which sounds so sh*tty it's unbelievable, even with headphones. I need an iPod.

I must get that first "Old And In The Way" on CD...

...But for now, I've been listening to a new, remastered CD of Michael Martin Murphy's "Blue Sky, Night Thunder". Excellent sound, especially considering the mid-70's vintage and budget CD price. Also new and just listened to: Rhonda Vincent's "Trouble Free", her first(?) attempt at mainstream country radio by way of the Nashville establishment. Not pure bluegrass, but still, it's RHONDA for cryin' out loud! 16.gif And last but not least, just before sitting myself down in front of old Cathode Ray, I listened to my Norah Jones "Come Away With Me" CD for about the - well I don't know how many times I've listened to this over the last few months. Let's just say it's in heavy rotation.

Just spending a quiet night listening to some tunes. Some of these will be familar an others may be new to some of you. This is not the Stones Concert in TO where AC/DC brought down the house. Just some late night listening before I go to bed after a day of painting the outside of the house. Some Canadian talent in here, although no Diana Krall tonight. K.D. Lang has sure changed since the days when she performed on the Prairies and at the Calgary Winter Olympics, new wave/country to sultry jazz vocalist.

Tony Bennett and K.D. Lang, A Wonderful World, "A Kiss to Build a Dream On", "You Can't Lose a Broken Heart", RPM

Paul Desmond, The Best of The Complete Paul Desmond RCA Victor Recordings

Bill Evans Trio, Waltz for Debby

Molly Johnson, Another Day, "Miss Celie's Blues" and "Melody", EMI

Chet Baker, You Can't Go Home Again, Verve with Gerry Mulligan just before he passed away

Norman Brown, Just Chillin, Warner Brothers

Carol Welsman, Hold Me, BMG

Peter White, Glow, "When I'm Along", Columbia

Greg,

If you like old timey folk stuff you might the Vagaband a listen. We're playing at the farmer's market in Lafayette Saturday morning and at the Prophetstown Museum that night. I'll be the first to admit we aren't the best, but you and the significant other might enjoy it.

Chad, what time are you performing? Is Doug's wife Sharon in your group?

What local festival were you referring to? White River Folk Fest? Fiddlers Gathering? We've played both of those.

I was referring to the Bluegrass festival at Earl Park wich is about 20 miles north on US52, it is held on Labor Day weekend. It's a great time, all of the old-timers sitting under the trees picking and grinning until 2am. It's alot like the Old Fiddlers but much bigger, and it's free, there is no admission, just passing the hat for donations.

Did you pick up those black cornwalls from Texas a while back? If so, how are you liking them? I'd love to compare them to your K-horns, as well as compare Scotts. I finally have one which doesn't hum or buzz! :)

It's good to hear that you finally got one that isn't noisy. I think you just have ultrasonic hearing. 1.gif Yes, I received them about two weeks ago. I like them very much, I think if my first Heritage had been Cornwalls I would have been satisfied, but since my first were LaScalas's I just had to try Khorns. I bought them to finish off my HT, they are being used as my rears, with Khorn mains, and LaScala centers. I need to upgrade my receiver next, or go separates, I haven't decided yet.

I am using my Scott in the bedroom with the Sherwood S-2200 AM/FM Tuner that came with it, Technics DD TT, and Pioneer CDP for listening in the evening.

I have not even had a tube amp hooked up to the Cornwalls yet, and I have only hooked up the Scott to the Khorns once after I recapped it, and preferred the Fisher 800C that I have.

I am in the middle of several projects right now, maybe later this year when things slow down around here we can get together.

Greg