Crackling on my RF7s....

Ou8thisSN

for the first few seconds, every now and then, these speakers crackle really terribly, usually on TV sound, I dont know why. Then I try and switch inputs a few times, and the crackling goes away. using 16 guage monster XP wires with spring clips. Not Bi-Wired. I am also using the Onkyo TX-SV828THX reciever. I got these off an internet dealer, they sound spectacular most of the time, just sometimes when I turn it on I get that. Any Ideas why?

It sounds like my horns do that on my RF7 sometimes as well. When there is a huge explosion or something it sounds like they crackle a little. Maybe the treble is up to high?

I'll play around with it some. I had the treble turned all the way up.

I heard the same thing out of the RF-7's during a demo session at a dealer during the avalanche scene on "xXx" it sounds like the tweeter is breaking up (being overdriven), it only seemed to occur during high intensity explosions, or rapid gunfire. Maybe the two-way design places too much of a demand on the tweeter. Sometimes the dynamics on a DVD may be too much as well, which would not be the fault of the speaker. If your DVD player has a dynamic compression option I would try it and play the passage back again to see if it helps. I truly dislike titanium or metal dome tweeters for that very reason, too metallic sounding. I certainly don't get that on my Heritage speakers. If I had shelled out the bucks for a pair of RF-7's and got that sound out of them I don't think I would be too happy.

----------------

On 8/13/2003 10:28:15 PM Vital wrote:

It sounds like my horns do that on my RF7 sometimes as well. When there is a huge explosion or something it sounds like they crackle a little. Maybe the treble is up to high?

I'll play around with it some. I had the treble turned all the way up.

----------------

My RF-7s have never made any crackling sounds. But I can't imagine why you would need to turn the treble up on RF-7s at all.

I think it was the fact that I had the treble almost maxed out and it was while using cable TV. I have never heard it using DVD. As for turning up the treble, I guess old habits die hard. With horns you don't have to do it but with other speakers the treble always needs to be up a lot more than the bass in my experience.

Anyway I did some testing with some DVD movies and never heard anything other than crystal clear sound. I think it had something to do with the cable tv signal. These things pick up any little flaw.

I dont have any speakers besides the RF7s hooked up to the reciever. I thought you had the Harman Kardon. in any case, if you do have the same reciever as I do, the Onkyo, I suspect it has something to do with the Onkyo unit itself, and not the speakers. If there was something wrong with the speakers, it would do it all the time, but its sporadic. For instance, I was watching the latest Matrix movie, and it was being output to analog stereo, and at one point, it started crackling, then I switched inputs for a few seconds, the crackling went away. So, before it was just the TV, now its the DVD player too, its very sporadic and quite unbarable. I have it hooked up to the "Speaker B" because I had the Bose hooked up to Speaker A. Never noticed crackling on Speaker A. Maybe its just Speaker B. Maybe its the wires, But I sincerely suspect its the reciever. Please let me know about how you have or ever had yours hooked up... if you indeed have the same reciever.

----------------

On 8/14/2003 7:50:10 PM Ou8thisSN wrote:

I have it hooked up to the "Speaker B" because I had the Bose hooked up to Speaker A. Never noticed crackling on Speaker A. Maybe its just Speaker B. Maybe its the wires, But I sincerely suspect its the reciever. Please let me know about how you have or ever had yours hooked up... if you indeed have the same reciever.
----------------

I promise not to Bose Bash. I have experienced the crackling on some cds. Mainly because I had the midnight feature on and/or the treble up too high. I ahve also had bad recording that sent me into a troubleshooting frenzy. The RF7s are just a little more sensitive than that of the Bose. Bose is very forgiving compared to Klispch. May I recommend checking the treble setting and check your connections. Not all recordings are created equal nor are all speakers.

scott

the speakers were like this since day 1. What I had initially thought of as break-in, with the crackling and what not, was there since the beginning. I remember listening to TV and it sounded terrible because of the crackling, but immediately watched a DVD and it disappeared. But now, again it comes and goes with both DVDs and TV. very confusing. It could just be "Speaker B". I dont think that turning up the Treble had anything to do with it since I can hear the crackling even at very very very low gain. The only reason I brought up the bose is because the Bose was hooked up to Speaker A and the Klipsch to Speaker B. I will try and reverse to see what happens

okay, so here's what happened. Now I noticed that the crackling was only coming from the right speaker. So I switched the cable from left to right. Then the crackling was coming from the left. So that pretty much rules out a problem with the speakers. What I now need to do is determine if its that wire or if its the amp. I will switch from speaker b to speaker a tommorrow to determine if amp is responsible, and at the same time switch the wires... Bruinsme thanks for offering to help man.

What you guys are probably hearing is the microphone in the movies. Due to the klipsch high efficiency it reveals alot of sounds you would not otherwise hear with most speakers. The crackling very well may be the microphones in the movie.

Joe

The problem is occuring in TV as well.

If it happens when the speakers are switched to the A channel then there is a speaker problem.

But from the sounds of it, it follows a particular channel. Perhaps a leaky/faulty capacitor or a cold solder joint.

But let me kow about the movies and I will run them thru the system.

Scott