Preamp: Eastern Electric MiniMax - I got a good feeling

Allan, I was wondering when you were going to weigh in on this topic. Lordy, that ole C-22 doesnt even have tube rectification in addition to more switches and filters than a ride at the State Fair! Heh... But I hear you. Sounds like you have great system synergy there as well as a hankling for the more vintage sound with soul to boot. And the old Mc sure does have that soul feeling. I sure like the tube McIntosh a helluva a lot better than any of the solid state models. McIntosh is one of those golden names that brings loving support from the owners. You were actually one of the ones I was referring to above regarding the full function pre. I hear you on the mono switch thing, especially on the old vinyl. I manage to get by without it but I sometimes dont like the slight suckout. It's much worse is something it out of phase too. When you go to mono in an out of phase setup, I have found it uncomfortable to listen. That big ole C-22 with 6 12AX7 is a beast though. You must burn through a bottle of contact cleaner every few years!

One thing - you are enjoying the hell out of your music. That's really all that ultimately matters.

kh

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris,

Your comparing the AE-3 base unit and not the DJH unit is that correct?

What was the cost of the Pantheon when it was available?

FWIW - Edster and myself have exchanged some emails on the Supratek preamps. He also had the AE-3 DJH at one time. Edster expressed that the Supratek syrah did indeed go to the next level above the AES AE-3 DJH.

Granted the Syrah is about twice what the AE-3 DJH is, but from what I have read, the performace is world class.

Allan - The Syrah can be ordered with a mono switch to avoid the hard-left / hard-right perspective.

- tb

----------------

On 8/25/2003 3:01:17 PM tbabb wrote:

Chris,

Your comparing the AE-3 base unit and not the DJH unit is that correct?

What was the cost of the Pantheon when it was available?

- tb

----------------

Tim, yes, this is the base unit and not the DJH. The AE-3 uses SS rectification.

The Pantheon cost $975. It was a fabulous deal, even with the issues.

No regrets whatsoever.

Tim, the only thing I might add about recommending "where the output is" is when plugged into different gear, this aspect changes in relation to the sensitivity of the preamp and the design in general. So what might send your computer into clipping or overload might be fine and dandy for going into the Pantheon inputs. I know the various preamps I have on hand differ in this way as well, handling my phono output in differnt ways. Add in different tubes and you have a whole other list of variables.

kh

I would NEVER suggest that my preamp needs make sense to anyone else, but with my setup, listening tastes, etc. I will not budge on my feature list. I will stay with the lightly rebuilt/upgraded marantz until either jean-francios changes his mind or I can afford the McIntosh...perhaps two other possiblities remain, using a kit as a starting point to build my preamp (which would require jeff design it and walk me thorugh the building process) or going nuts modding the marantz (which has a great circuit design and layout) to bring it up to super-spec. regards, tony

Kelly,

I'm sure your correct. For my case though switching back and forth between the computer and back to normal listening was a pain to reset the gain pots so I left them there. Since I'm done with recording for the time being, I might have to go back and see if additional gain might sound better?

I guess the only way to confirm the clipping issue would be with the use of an calibrated oscilloscope?

- tb

"perhaps two other possiblities remain, using a kit as a starting point to build my preamp (which would require jeff design it and walk me thorugh the building process)"

I am trying to imagine Jeffus walking someone through a complete rebuild. Lordy, I have trouble understanding him when he is just describing what sushi he had last night! The two of us on the phone are a mixture of yelling, laughing, head scratching, putting the phone down to get a drink, babbling, mumbling, with various cursing mixed in. Trying to imagine ole Jeffus making sense for longer than 36 seconds makes me nervous.

Here is ole Jeffus saying hello in a typical message.......

Click: Jeff & PiLs

Here we have ole Jeffus and his first Horus courtesy of AT&T:

Click: Jeff & Mingus in HELL

Lordy....

kh

LOL! almost peeing in my pants right now! must be something VERY wrong with me becuase I have no problem understanding everything he says! LOL! however the whole "walk me through" thing is a clever ruse, I would start the project and get so hopelessly lost that jeff would have to fly down here to "help" me...chess man, chess...tony

The mono switch has NOTHING to do with eliminating the hard left/hard right mix so common in early stereo!!! It has EVERYTHING to do with reducing surface noise in old mono LPs!! I have some records that are very noisy until you pop in the mono switch and then they become nearly dead quiet.

Heh... Indeed. Actually, those werent even the good ones. I didnt want to offend anyone.... (see Jeff recorded messages on pg 1)

To tell you the truth, I guess mainly it's Jeffroid not really understanding ME as I start to talk too fast, tossing in throw away lines to references he doesnt know, all the while he is back on the first few words wishing I would talk IN COMPLETE sentences, something I do in text but leave behind as I skip from topic to idea to topic etc. Seriously, I need to tape one of our converstations for study. It's a strange and painful thing to witness. One time, after about a 30 minute call, he called me right back after I hung up saying, "I have no understanding for what in the hell you said." In other words, a fun time is had by all. "I love to drive fast the racing car"

Another lovely Lessardo message, this one concerning the sale of his first Horus and other frustrations...

Click: Jeff & Virtual Horus Puller

Although the idea of you with a soldering iron with Jeffus directing the way does have potential. I see a screenplay...

kh

Allan, I really hadnt noticed that noise thing you refer to. I am talking about listening to mono recordings in stereo; sometimes without the switch TO MONO, and if the system is out of phase, the playback would be troubling. As for the noise to dead quiet with mono, I hadnt noticed that as much. I need to try some tunes with my EICO to see again.

Kelly,

Heh... The sole distributor of the Eastern Electric MiniMax is about 5 minutes from my house.... I may just have to take a listen to one and compare it with the AE-3

Allan - Sorry I understood your application incorrect. I was restating what another Supratek Syrah user commented on why they had the mono switch installed on their unit.

- tb

Kelly, thanks for coming back to the forum, I for one really missed you. You're a riot.

I do wish Jeff would post more as I really enjoy his insight as well.

And where the hell is Mark Deneen? When he bails I break out in a rash.

I just emailed Mark yesterday and he wrote back he has zero time to mess around with a major bathroom remodel, landscaping and work he is buried up to his forehead. He said the rainy season is around the corner so he has to get all this done and then he will have time to breath again.

Craig

Those new tube preamps look tasty indeed but for many of us are simply too costly. FWIW a lot of rather decent used tube preamps are to be had If one has the patience to hunt.

I purchased a refurbished Dynaco PAS3 from kjohnshop that is very sweet indeed. It is so quiet that the first time I fired it up I thought something must be wrong - And there was ! Fortunately the fix was to simply plug a wandering tube back into its socket and try again. Again it was so quiet that I thought something was wrong but not this time. The only thing I ever hear from that preamp is music.

Cost incl exchange and shipping ?? About C$175.00

I am sure similar bargains are to be had from time to time.