I'm no audiophile "update"

Wolk1

Thanks for all of the help and advice on matching an amp to my Cornwalls (to replace my Onkyo AV receiver) Based on the input, I decided to look for a Scott 222, or a Harmon Kardon 730 if I couldn't find the Scott. One of each showed up on E-bay- given my luck on E-bay, I bid on both, expecting to get one of the two if I was lucky.

You guessed it, got em both- $100 for the HK, and $178 for the Scott. Now I've got to convince my wife to go visit her sister while I wait for the UPS man.

Thanks again for the help.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, you're so right Gary!

I can still see my dad keeping a new Nakamichi 680ZX cassette deck in the trunk of his car for several days until one evening when my mom fell asleep in front of the TV, then he snuck out to the car and brought in the new deck and replaced the old JVC deck. My mom was never up on audio equipment, so she never noticed the Nakamichi (even though it was black with rack handles and the JVC was chrome with bright analog meters)...not until the credit card statement showed a new $1500 purchase!6.gif

It sucked to be him...no nookie for a month!14.gif

Man, I must be lucky... Audrey goes listening to the music/gear at friends. And is usually involved in the gear purchase as well.

And damn if I didnt wake her up at 1am after I got home to help me carry my Klipsch Cornwalls up three flights of stairs. She stayed up and listened that first night on top of that!

Ole Audrus. Here she is joking about lifting the B&K Monoblock box for an AudiogoN sale...the spry loon!

audrey_pain_bw.jpg

Yeah, the box was empty, of course.

"Jim,

It's kinda "icky" that you know this...about your parents!

fini"

You'd be surprised what my dad's told me...we're like best buds, man!

Kelly, you're one lucky dude...all wives should be as understanding as yours.

Jim, she is not as much understanding as part of the equation. Lordy, she now likes tube as much as I do. Although I have enjoyed ole Leo's little Tripath digital amp, Audrey keeps wondering when the tubes are going to move back to front and center in the amp position via the CW. We have tube amps in other places but that Tripath digital has been going for a month. I'm missing them to!

kh

----------------

On 8/25/2003 11:42:22 PM jt1stcav wrote:

You'd be surprised what my dad's told me...we're like best buds, man!

----------------

I guess it shouldn't surprise me. After all, you did inherit his organ!

fini

Come on guys! Are you telling me you actually HIDE purchases from your wives? Talk about a lack of intimacy! If my wife ever witheld "nookie" for some PURCHASE I made that would be the END. And we've been toghether since 1972. I have never been once asked to justify ANYTHING I dragged home no matter how insane it might make me appear in her eyes. But then I never spent money I didn't have . . . .

I have to confess I have been doing this very thing the past 4 months with my "not audiophile records" that I have been receiving in the mail.

The mail lady knows the routine well. Just as she approaches the door I open it, reach my hand out, she hands it to me and I shut the door and make a mad dash up stairs. No knocks, doorbells or dog-barks.

Not all make it without getting busted by my wife. And when she does see one it`s not that big of a deal but it could be if she new just how many deliveries there has been recently. I told her to expect a wave of vinyl at the front door this week. It was a good week.

I would have a hard time doing this with audio equipment. Too much money to spend without a, how should I put this..."discussion".

But I will admit one thing I bought and have not told anyone. I got a MFSL Frank Sinatra Box Set. Unopened in it`s original Mobil Fidelity shipping box. It wasn`t cheap but I could not pass it up. It`s here in the corner. I looked at it but have not played it. I felt so guilty the first week I got it. How could I enjoy it feeling like I had stolen it or something. But I`ve got it figured out. It`s my early birthday gift. I`ll keep it undercover until then. And then I`ll tell her all about it. 9.gif

I've been married for 23 years. Music and audio's been my hobby (more like addiction for over 35 years). When I initially met my wife, I proudly showed her my (then more humble) system. She liked the sound. Of course, she also like the sound of a clock radio!! Egads, she has no ears!! She never played a musical instrument! When I went to meet her mom, there wasn't even a radio in the house (my mother-in-law is now 86. I guess after TV was invented, they tossed all their Luddite radios). So, early on, she knew my audio hobby was part of the package.

Now, we both work, have seperate checking accounts, and have a "Don't ask, don't tell" policy. The bills get paid, the IRAs are properly funded and we have "emergency funds", so she buys what she wants (clothes, shoes) and I do the same with audio. But financial responsibility has o be a factor.

My wife tolerates my audio obsession because it keeps me home, is less dangerous than my motorcycle (after my BMW RS got stolen a few years ago, I didn't replace it- Atlanta is way too dangerous for bikes), and I'm not down at the titty bar stuffing $5.00 bills in some bimbo's G-string.

I think I'll keep her.