I'm no audiophile "update"

Wolk1

Greetings:

All you have to do is have the stuff shipped to a friend, or have a friend bring it and say he doesn't need it anymore and he leaves it.

You can also call UPS if you have the tracking number and ask them to hold it at the terminal.

Good Luck - Taps or Amazing Grace ?

Win dodger

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This reminds me of a discussion over at AA a couple of years ago. While this inmate never hid an audio purchase from his wife, he did have a method for disclosing the price. He simply slid the decimal place over 1 place to the left. Therefore most of his amplifiers purchases that actually ran $2K to $3K ended up costing only $200-$300.

He claimed that with the high cost of audio, his wife would never have believed the original price anyway! "Honey I just ordered an Brand new pair of Klispchorns from the Factory - They're a bit expensive, but it will be the best $600 that I ever spent"9.gif

If any of you guys need stuff shipped to a friend...HELLO!

Some of you may recall that I refer to my beloved here as the Perfect Audiophile Wife, or PAW.

My PAW not only approves, but turned over our bedroom as it was the only room in the house that would accommadate 'horns. No way you can tell it's a bedroom except for the bed.

She also comes home from time to time with a box full of wicked vinyl picked up at lunch. She's heavily encouraged my experiments in building DAR's and looks forward to doing some location work with me.

Right now, she's still working full time and just started the MBA program at SMU Cox School of Business which has us 65.000.00 in the hole. Not much time or money for audio, but when she finishes in two years...MONEY! Making my list already. :-)

Dave

My wife loves the scott more and more every day and has gotten back into music after many years of not being much interested. She loves it even more since it was a gift. BTW, much of what I've acquired lately has been either gifts or something I'm holding for a fellow forum member (partly true). It was she who made the decision to buy the HT (tv,receiver,surrounds,sub,dvd). I've had friends come over with gear they let me "use for a while." A long while, forever it turns out. I think she knows more than she leads on but lets me play my games anyway. Acquiring khorns will be the ultimate test of our relationship.

Greetings:

I would say that this group does not purchase things with money we don't have. We can sell, buy and sell again.

The thing my wife hates is that in discussing equipment is that model numbers are the usual form of distinguishing units. You can go for three (3) or more sentences without a brand name, type of unit or cost.

It's the same when I'm doing sound and talking with other Engineers about the newest equipment.

Why use the name if we know the number.

Win dodger

Gary, you kill me. Our lives and wifes so much resemble one another it is scary. If only my equipment were fashionable and did not take up so much room the wife might not complain so much. D**m the cornwalls are big. Our latest discussion was that I would buy a bigger house with an upstairs bonus "Home theater" room to get away from her with my noise.

There are some awsome McIntosh MC240's on E-bay, I am afraid the temptation will get the best of me soon.

Good luck to all and remember what Dale Darnegie said:

"Don't worry" "What is the worst thing that could happen to you?". I say right, have you spoken to my wife lately. AHHH!!! to be single again like Jim.

----------------

On 8/26/2003 6:19:41 AM Mike82 wrote:

... So, early on, she knew my audio hobby was part of the package.

Now, we both work, have seperate checking accounts, and have a "Don't ask, don't tell" policy. The bills get paid, the IRAs are properly funded and we have "emergency funds", so she buys what she wants (clothes, shoes) and I do the same with audio. But financial responsibility has o be a factor...

----------------

Similar thing here... just remove 20yrs... 2.gif

Once the bills are paid and the like, my girlfriend and I keep separate accounts for "personal" purchases.

I had expensive hobbies when she met me and I don't have anything to hide... I think it works best for us that way. We all have different needs/likes... she'll come home with a new coat and I'll show up with another set of Heresys...

The only catch with audio is size... as 6ft3 sub is quite large in comparison to shoes. I usually warn her of any large pieces as far in advance as possible... and even exaggerate the size a little. When it actually turns out to be smaller than anticipated... she is somewhat pleasantly surprised.

I haven't bought K-horns yet... 9.gif

Rob

PS: Like Dodger said... lets hope your wives don't see the forum link... 6.gif

Hell, I sure feel sorry for you guys with the wives that only like to buy "clothes, shoes, and coats." Man, what do you talk about? Good conversation is priceless. This thread is like reading the male/female stereotype that I thought was disappearing with bad sitcoms. Men- gear, hobbies, blindness. Women - clothes and decorating.

Lordy... I suddenly feel lucky as a bastard.

My wife holds a BS in Mechanical Engineering and and MS in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley and has the most varied interests of anyone I have ever met. She once spent "12 lost years" (her term) designing anti-skid braking systems for commercial aircraft. She's currently reading the collected poems of Wallace Stevens and rewiring all of the chandeliers in our house. Last week she put a new 3-row radiator in her '55 Studebaker. She can float tile like a master and is the best drywall taper/plasterer I have ever seen.

She likes Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg more than she should (just another 46 year old wannabe gangsta I guess) but nothing gets her moving like a good B3 groove from Reuben Wilson. She prefers vinyl to CD but will not touch my turntable without me around (she feels like its an invasion--don't ask me why). And she plays a variety of reed instruments with modest proficiency. I think she has 3 or 4 pairs of shoes--TOTAL!

And never once in 30 years of being together (married for 16!) has she ever given me ANY sh*t about my audio gear or record habit other than asking me to NEVER use the Nitty Gritty with her in the house--she says it's the most annoying sound on the face of the planet.

----------------

On 8/26/2003 11:21:50 AM mobile homeless wrote:

Hell, I sure feel sorry for you guys with the wives that only like to buy "clothes, shoes, and coats." Man, what do you talk about? Good conversation is priceless. This thread is like reading the male/female stereotype that I thought was disappearing with bad sitcoms. Men- gear, hobbies, blindness. Women - clothes and decorating.

Lordy... I suddenly feel lucky as a bastard.

----------------

blindness?? just wondering... 2.gif

Actually audio is just one of my many interests... obviously we share many of the other ones. Communications and trust are the very most important things to both of us...

I think we (as couples) all have overlapping interests, and the similar and dissimilar subjects add to the couple's dynamics. 1.gif

later...

Rob

----------------

On 8/26/2003 11:50:15 AM Allan Songer wrote:

My wife holds a BS in Mechanical Engineering and and MS in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley and has the most varied interests of anyone I have ever met. She once spent "12 lost years" (her term) designing anti-skid braking systems for commercial aircraft. She's currently reading the collected poems of Wallace Stevens and rewiring all of the chandeliers in our house. Last week she put a new 3-row radiator in her '55 Studebaker. She can float tile like a master and is the best drywall taper/plasterer I have ever seen.

She likes Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg more than she should (just another 46 year old wannabe gangsta I guess) but nothing gets her moving like a good B3 groove from Reuben Wilson. She prefers vinyl to CD but will not touch my turntable without me around (she feels like its an invasion--don't ask me why). And she plays a variety of reed instruments with modest proficiency. I think she has 3 or 4 pairs of shoes--TOTAL!

And never once in 30 years of being together (married for 16!) has she ever given me ANY sh*t about my audio gear or record habit other than asking me to NEVER use the Nitty Gritty with her in the house--she says it's the most annoying sound on the face of the planet.

----------------

My wife is an attorney, a brilliant one at that. She has MS and works from home because she can't drive anymore so she's home ALL the time. She doesn't buy clothes very often and when she does I have to shop with her because her eyesight has been affected by the disease.

We do have much in common. We actually met because we were both into the Grateful Dead in college. I let her do most of the decorating in the house and she does so around my equipment. It's hard to match zebrawood but she loves the speakers too and we've managed to blend them in. It's very difficult when you have a 15 yr old who needs rides everywhere and only one parent who can drive (plus I commute 3 hrs/day) but my daughter will be driving by December.

The only deception (although I'm sure she's just letting me play games) is with my recent tube acquisitions and the buildup of hundreds of lps in the basement where she rarely goes (50 cents each). Don't think that because of this we spend our lives deceiving our wives. Sometimes it can be easier not to have to deal with unneccessary battles (not good for her health to stress) over stereo equipment that you would purchase anyway, especially with all the other more important issues we must deal with on a daily basis. Please don't judge people unless you know the whole story.

Peace

Gary... I hope you didn't think I was taking aim at you in any way... as that was far from my intention...

Its just that given your story, my quotes seem very out of place, even though I wasn't trying to attack anyone.

*bows head in shame* 15.gif

Rob,

Don't think twice, it's alright.2.gif I wasn't taking aim at you either. I just want people to know there can be circumstances that cause a person to act in a manner which may seem inappropriate on the surface. If we all lived in a perfect world and had perfect relationships, that would be wonderful. In the real world it's not always the case. It doesn't mean I pick up hookers during my lunch break. More often than not, I'm spending that lunch break driving my wife to a doctor's appointment or picking up a prescription (when I'm not at the library scouring through 50 cent lps that is9.gif).

Hello:

Well my Wife has her Master's for teaching, A Bachelor's in Art, was head of In-patient Billing at one of our Hospitals before an offer to become Business Office Manager at a non-profit Hearing and Speech Center.

She was given the President's Award the first year she was there. She has also been a Consultant on time and efficiency in Medical Billing.

She also served as Co-Coordinator for our local PD's Police And Citizens - Together Against Crime Program and has been the Clerk of Vestry for our Church for 21 years.

I said to her two (2) nights ago that she should go clothes shopping, as I am getting some new equipment and she said no.

She assisted Harriett who did all of the Authentic Clothing - made from single patterns, adjusted for size, has been a seamstress, also has been a Process/Summons/Subpoena Server and is liason from where she works to Blue Cross Blue Shield.

She walks over, turns any of the stereo sytems on and enjoys what she wants. Just an average Wife.

So given her credentials and three Service Awards from our local PD, she has no troubleif I let her know ahead of time that I want an addition to my stereo.

Oh, I forgot, she was a Jazzercise Registrar for eight (8) years and took care of all of their sound equipment - Crate mixer/Amplifier, Double Tape Deck, CD player, two (2) speakers and four (4) wireless Shure Microphones.

Average days.

Win dodger