ARE WE A DYING BREED ?

dodger

----------------

On 8/28/2003 6:54:51 PM greg928s4 wrote:

Win, I know where you're coming from, that feeling that so much is changing in our world and so many things seem to be taken for granted and just thrown away. When something you hold so dear, like a great 2-channel audio system, is seemingly being relagated to old fogie status. But, I always have to remind myself that there are many significant changes taking place in our world that offer us so much more than we ever had in our past, like the internet. When I think about how all of us on this forum are using this great web to improve our knowlege and offer us such widespread access to products and people, it gives me great joy. My system is better than it's ever been, and that is completely attributable to the knowledgable and helpful people on this forum and the internet in general. Dying breed? No, a rare breed, growing, changing, and pushing boundries.

Greg

----------------

I couldn't agree more. The internet gives those who were not able to experience hifi in the days of tubes a chance gain knowledge and consider inevitable experimentation. With the number of knowledgeable members on the forums, the word and knowledge gets spread faster than ever.

The combined experience of so many people can help narrow down the next upgrade to several choice components to audition versus hundreds. Very few audio shops will be staffed with people as passionate, informed, and experienced as those who frequent these forums.

Enjoy the music...

Rob

PS: got to love those quotes... I may have to borrow scrowley911's "sheeple" 9.gif and Gil's "People who criticized their parents for driving 2 ton land barges are now driving 2.5 ton SUVs." 9.gif

Speaking as a fellow AARP (you get your first invitation to join when you turn 50, just a warning for those at 49, it's a depressing thing to get in the mail) member and another 51 year old fart, I see there have been many great responses here to Win's post. I have been fascinated with this 2 channel forum and how it stands along HT. There are just a couple points to make:

We are here because of our love of music. Other people have other hobbies and might wonder why we are not here talking about fish tanks, or ___________________. I was fascinated by short wave radio as a kid. That one can hear radio stations from other countries was mind blowing, but not many of my friends agreed or cared. We LOVE music. Not everyone who loves music gets real involved in audio, but there are the ones who will have an experience like a friend of mine who I work with who happens to live down the street from me. We kept talking about jazz, and our own musical experiences. His father was a conductor, wife teaches piano. He doesn't pay much attention to audio, UNTIL! He brought over some of his CDs and I played some of mine for him, but you could see his eyes opened wide and he said "Man, those speakers sound so clear!". That was the KHorns he referred to. I took him upstairs and showed him the KG4s to show him those sound sweet too, and they are affordable. Told him about vintage tube integrateds too. Now that I've been rejuvinating the B&O, wait til he hears vinyl!

My 19 year young son (an occasional visitor of this forum) bought a pair of SF2 and an HK 630 (?) after reading about it here. He wants a tube amp as soon as he can afford one. He does have a tube guitar amp, so he's half way there. My 16 year young son just got a vintage Marantz 1040, but wants tubes as soon as he can afford them as well as a pair of Klipsch speakers. Our mutual friend, also an occasional visitor here heard my KHorns and loves them, as well as the sound of vinyl! He is in a bit more of a spot as he does like movies too, so good movie effects as well as good music is important to him, yet he did notice music sounds best on a good 2 channel system.

Everyone who likes music who can hear it better reproduced does notice when they come over and I'm sure most of you have similar experiences. Out of those people, some will be willing to mess with tubes and/or vinyl, others will perhaps get into better SS with better speakers. It can be confusing, especially to newcomers. This was illustrated when our friend was over and asked, just how is it that records work? Something that we 51 year olds take for granted that everybody knows, but in reality, this was his first exposure to that medium, and I was happy to see his curiosity stirred up. It was actually more difficult to explain how a CD reproduces music!

Hearing is believing. We may be a dieing breed, but we will have new followers, and I don't mean sheeple! 16.gif

----------------

On 8/28/2003 11:26:13 PM DeanG wrote:

The separation is found between the serious
audio
hobbyists from those who are focusing on DVD movie watching and gimicky multichannel.

----------------

Just wondering...Have you by chance heard DSOTM on multi-channel SACD? If you haven't, it might change your mind about the "gimmicky" aspect of multi-channel music.

Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon"(DSOTM) sounds quite cool on allot of systems.

Challenge is when you take a "flat" LP or CD and make the detail become "live sounding" on your own system.

My example

Crosby Stills and Nash "CSN"

See the Changes

3 hot harmonies and Martin guitar. THese guys can sing and Stills can play the accoustiive( and maybe the electric)guitar like no other 5 people in the world 25 years ago.

I saw him at about 40 feet 3 times in the late 70s.

Produced different; but HOT!

Many sources are nneded to understand a system interaction.

James,

Listened to it the other day. I have mixed feelings.

While the mix is interesting, the lack of a really musical sounding 5 channel system inhibits my enjoyment of it. My HT setup is very nice sounding for movies, but does not do 5-channel mixes justice.

I started to add up what I would need and what it would cost to do a proper 5-channel listening room. 5-channel preamp, 5 identical speakers, 5 mono tube amps (or 5-channel musical sounding ss amp - is there one?). Gosh, this is expensive...

I don't think of 5-channel as a gimmick, I'm sure with the right setup, it would be mighty impressive. I have YET to walk into a high-end audio shop and find them demoing 5-channel mixes. Anyone seen that yet? I sure have not. I'd like to though.

I just listened to Tubular Bells... twice. Once on each SACD player. I should be shot.

- tb

Dying Breed?

Unapproachable perhaps?

Newspapers never help! They decontent the appreciation of music to a "boom box"!

I make more inroads in my own comunity; putting on listening sessions for my friend and my kids freinds(more importantly).

ALL MY KIDS PLAY INSTRUMENTS!

That helps.

I was a poor guitar player.

My childen play their chosen instrumewnts better than i; this point will keep them interested in AUDIO!

Long term...

----------------

On 8/30/2003 1:11:34 AM tbabb wrote:

I started to add up what I would need and what it would cost to do a proper 5-channel listening room. 5-channel preamp, 5 identical speakers, 5 mono tube amps (or 5-channel musical sounding ss amp - is there one?). Gosh, this is expensive...

- tb

----------------

"need" is such a strong word.2.gif

I guess I'm just lucky to be insensitive to the nasties of solid-state.