Amplifiers

Iceman

I believe what Kelly is trying to get across is that there is no magic amplifier for everyone at any price range.Everybody has a different perspective.Try following some of the threads that deal with amplifiers and I'm sure you will see what I mean. A lot of disagreement and discourse. Pick and choose wisely Grasshopper. Good luck, Randy

Throwing a fit? Not hardly, NOS440. But reading some of the responses in that thread was difficult as it so directly contradicted with what I have experienced either in person or via going through the archives looking at the posts from those familiar here. And adding that "he is throwing a fit" is just one more to the list.

Taylor hit it on the head. My initial post of that graphic was mainly a humorous response to a question with two many answers with too many variables with too many questions left to go...

Where do we start? The under $1000 price tag holds COUNTLESS amp choices, either tube or solid state. A simple, "what is the best amp under $1000" almost is a literal crapshoot. Besides, I was going to let someone else answer the question I have answered already hundreds of times in the archives, including inquiries from you in the not so distant past hovering around the beginning of year 2002.

kh

Looks like that mere 2 years of playing with wiggets whachamacallits and wotnots is coming back to haunt you again NOS old boy....

As for Kelly's link - trippy!! Cant tell you how good it sounded coming through the built in speakers on this portable computer I am using.

On the positive side - there wasnt too much volume so the pain was limited.

Ultimately I suppose the best answer to the question "whats the best amp for less than $1000?" Is...

One that retails for a whole lot more but is on special offer because whoever is selling it is in desperate need of money. If you can find a pair of FM Accoustic monoblocks for that kind of money I would recommend snapping that deal up. Last time I looked they were around $250,000 retail.

Maybe if the question was stated differently. Example:

I own a pair of Lascalas which I use in a 14x20 room. I listen to mostly rock using both cds and lps and I'd like to purchase an integrated tube amp that has at least 40 watts. I have $1000 to spend. What would you recommend?

Something like that would be a little more helpful although you'll still be told to go back and read all the old posts. You'd then probably be bullied into buying a scott 299b with a NOSValves rebuild.9.gif

before we got off topic I was going to say basically what garymd said, what I always say. "please let us know more about the rest of your system, the music you listen to and the room to plan to listen in" then we can help. kelly, let's make this "be kind to newbies month" and try to be helpful, list the choices of used SS and tube amps once we hear more from the guy...BTW there is a magic integrated amp for under $1,000 it is made by eico, but you know that already...or was that scott? LOL, tony

That little Musical Fidelity A1 is a neat little amp and very relaxed sounding too. I had no idea that Tim de Paravicini designed that damn thing. Tim got all hot in the audio press as Mr. Guru with his EAR stuff geting the nod from some (he also did those big Luxman tube monoblocks)

I like a lot of the Musical Fidelity amps as most were biased big time into Class A. They are a neat alternative to other SS but not a rockers dream. I had the Musical Fidelity X-A1 integrated (a different beast altogether but still biased into Class A) here for 30 days of trials for my girlfriend's system (at the time she didnt want to mess with tubes). Sadly, although a pleasant amplifier that was nice, it didnt come near to any of the tube alternatives I had on hand being soundly trounced in the harmonic richness department. Ironically enough, this was one of the last SS amplifiers I tried before just saying "to hell with them all" and moving to making tube amp recommendations for people who werent into the technical side at all. Basically, if they could HEAR the difference, then it was worth going there. She ended up with a used $450 Jolida 302B which even STOCK, just made the Musical Fidelity seem two dimensional.

Still, if going SS, this is a neat amp and CHEAP! There are a few pages online for mods too. I love the B&K ST-202 for a good used buy as well. Ditto with the Monarchy Audio SM-70 used for Dirt. But TUBES are so much better all the way around that I even find it hard to recommend these things anymore with so many tube options in the used realm, whether vintage or modern. Still, Musical Fidelty is a valid option to me too. It runs hot as hell due to this heavy Class A bias but is SWEET for solid state. I think the B&K ST-202 is one of my favorite cheap AMPS for normal speakers (ie NON KLIPSCH).

kh

I have both tube and SS for two channel listening IMH, and I run them both through an MX110. I have 79 Cornwalls for speaks. I prefer SS for rock-n-roll and tubes for Jazz or vocals. Best of both worlds. The Yamaha M80 si a strong performer for 240wpc and around $450. I have two Yamaha M series and they are class A to 30wpc.

We need to be a little tolerant here. With the exception of a few (not to mention any names) we were all newbies at one time in our lives (the originator of this thread is 19 years old).

I like to help people if I can with my limited knowledge and those with vast knowledge and expertise can also be of great help if they choose.

Iceman,

Please feel free to elaborate. Is this for your dorm room? I see you're in D.C. I'm not far away. What school do you attend? Give us more details and I promise you will get some polite answers in return.

He most likely was chased off because someone couldn't give him a reasonable response like.... We need more information in a polite and normal way ! Not everyone knows what information is needed for us to respond. This is exactly why I do more amps for lurkers around here than actual active members !

Craig

Well *******s, if you'd take a minute to actually look at my profile instead of criticizing me for being new, some of your questions might already be answered. My reciever puts out 110Wx6, but I only have a pair of RF3 II's and a sub. If I am aiming to spend no more than $1000, will I find an amp that outperforms my receiver? I will eventually be adding more speakers once I get out of my dorm next year, and unlike some of you married men with a wife and kids, I play my music at ridiculous volumes. I'm thinking of upgrading to an extra pair of RF7's, and if I did I'd like to have a nice amp to go with it. I would be putting it in my living room in a house, which would probably be around 400-500 sq. ft. I am currently a student at Georgetown University, for whoever asked, and I listen to mostly rock and rap. I really want my mains to be able to play low and clean. Thanks to those of you who tried to be polite, I really appreciate it. And for the rest of you, get ****ed.

Chill ICE (get it), there been an internal fued going on with a few of the BB members, and unfortunately their quarl has rolled onto your thread.

Most of the time this is a very informative forum, use the search engine and you'll find lots of info. I very recently posted a similar question and got some very useful info. Good luck!!

Sounds like you want some major headroom. Unless you exceed your budget, you may be forced to stay SS. If you can go higher and want tubes + headroom (maybe a Georgetown grad will be able to sooner than he thinks) maybe look into some mac gear. Nothing under a grand though.